• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    He brought the gun by today, said he fired 6 rounds through it too. Then he said it locked up again and then unlocked. I looked at it and the only thing I saw was the ejector rod was loose. I tightened that up then cleaned and lubed it up and to me it felt "looser" than it did when I saw it yesterday.

As far as the lock, I locked it but you could still open the cylinder, so I really don't know what it was. Someone said it was the ejector rod so I hope that's what it was. I don't know where got his 6 rounds at but the primers were getting pretty flat but I'm sure that beast could maybe handle a little more! Anyway, maybe it just needed the rod tightened and to be lubed.

He also bought a full size Springfield Armory 1911 and has ordered a commander size Desert Eagle 1911. I'm sure I'll get to mess with those too.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    You know rugers are only that big and heavy because they're cast instead of forged right? Despite all that bulk, they're not really any stronger.
    I know rugers are cast, but they are better than modern smiths by a large margin if you ask me.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I know rugers are cast, but they are better than modern smiths by a large margin if you ask me.
    Maybe, my 686 is a dash 6 so old school and forged parts. I avoided the newer smith's due to the barrel sleeves, mim trigger and hammer, laser etched marks vs roll punched etc, but all that said, my gp100 is guilty of all those too. I prefer the full frame down the grip of a Smith vs Ruger that sits into a grip, but that's just an opinion. I'll choose forged over cast any day so I tend to prefer the Smith & Wesson. Just curious, why do you feel Ruger is supieor when it's fat and weighs more for the same strength forged offerings?

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Maybe, my 686 is a dash 6 so old school and forged parts. I avoided the newer smith's due to the barrel sleeves, mim trigger and hammer, laser etched marks vs roll punched etc, but all that said, my gp100 is guilty of all those too. I prefer the full frame down the grip of a Smith vs Ruger that sits into a grip, but that's just an opinion. I'll choose forged over cast any day so I tend to prefer the Smith & Wesson. Just curious, why do you feel Ruger is supieor when it's fat and weighs more for the same strength forged offerings?
    i have owened some smith and wesson revolvers from the 50's to the late 80's and Id say the quality then was very solid, after they started putting the Hillary hole into the sides of them is when their quality started taking a nose dive, I have also owned ruger revolvers from the same eras and have owned modern rugers, yes their revolvers are made out of hefty castings now but the quality and fit and finish from what I have observed is far better than modern smith and wessons. now a 1980's .357 K frame is far better than a modern GP100, but if I had to choose a modern wheel gun id go with the GP100. your mileage may vary of course.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Got it, thanks. I just assumed everyone here was from Texas, my bad.
    Hey Bill,

I live about 20 miles from this........

Coming in two short months!

1638475679679.png

Later, Mark

msharley

TGT Addict
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey Moon,

I'm a 22-250AI guy..(nothing wrong with the 22-250, just with the 22-250AI you need to trim less often)

The 17's all work

Some love the .204 Ruger..

A lot of fellows have bolt rifle .222's & .223's...

Some use the .243 with good success (have been guilty as charged)

The 25-06 gets some play...a fair amount of recoil for all you're doing...

If I lived where noise was an issue? I think the rimfire 17 is great.

Couple buddies of mine use them a lot....very quiet for a 175yd groundhog slayer! (you can most like go further, just that most times one can't see "further" here) LOL

A lot of guys/gals like to "haid choot" 'em...

I'm a "center chest" guy! The 22-250 (or AI) cuts them in half.

For the most part, here the range is less than 250yds....

Hope this helps..

Top Bottom