• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    What exactly happens to a 4473 when you provide your LTC ?
    Also does anyone know the piece of legislation that allows this to happen(bypassing background check by having an LTC)? I would like to read it or get a summary on it.

Still a little confused on this whole thing although I have bought idk how many firearms with my LTC now.
    DK Firearms

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    What exactly happens to a 4473 when you provide your LTC ?
    Also does anyone know the piece of legislation that allows this to happen(bypassing background check by having an LTC)? I would like to read it or get a summary on it.

Still a little confused on this whole thing although I have bought idk how many firearms with my LTC now.
    The same thing happens to the 4473 as when you don't have a LTC. It gets filed away. Your LTC number and Date of Expiration goes on the 4473.

Code of Federal Regulations
    478.102 Sales or deliveries of firearms on and after November 30, 1998
    1. a.Background check.
    d.Exceptions to NICS check.The provisions of paragraph (a) of this section shall not apply if—

1. 1.The transferee has presented to the licensee a valid permit or license that—

1. i.Allows the transferee to possess, acquire, or carry a firearm;

2. ii.Was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place; and

3. iii.The law of the State provides that such a permit or license is to be issued only after an authorized government official has verified that the information available to such official does not indicate that possession of a firearm by the transferee would be in violation of Federal, State, or local law: Provided, That on and after November 30, 1998, the information available to such official includes the NICS;
    https://atf-eregs.18f.gov/478-102/2016-12100#478-102-d

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    4473s stay with the FFL for 20 years unless the FFL goes out of business. At such time, they are sent to ATF in Atlanta for storage. After 20 years,IORC, it is up to the FFL to retain or destroy them.
    If the ATF or the FBI wants a copy for an investigation for law enforcement, they will call and request a photo copy. If they need the original for evidence, they should show up with a warrant and paperwork to show what happened to the 4473 since the FFL is required by law to have it.
    If you use your LTC instead of the backround check, unless your gun is involved in a crime and recovered of the FFL closes, they will never know what you bought. At least if you buy with the paper form. I am not sure what access the have with the electronic system. But an FFL is still required to keep the electronic form printed and on file for 20 years.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    4473s stay with the FFL for 20 years unless the FFL goes out of business. At such time, they are sent to ATF in Atlanta for storage. After 20 years,IORC, it is up to the FFL to retain or destroy them.
    If the ATF or the FBI wants a copy for an investigation for law enforcement, they will call and request a photo copy. If they need the original for evidence, they should show up with a warrant and paperwork to show what happened to the 4473 since the FFL is required by law to have it.
    If you use your LTC instead of the backround check, unless your gun is involved in a crime and recovered of the FFL closes, they will never know what you bought. At least if you buy with the paper form. I am not sure what access the have with the electronic system. But an FFL is still required to keep the electronic form printed and on file for 20 years.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Thank you thats good info

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    The 4473 is de facto gun registration. They are stored at the FFL until the FFL quits. Then the ATF gets them forever. This is what the lefties call the gun show loophole. No record of private transfers. A great reason to buy used.
    All your LTC means is the DPS had done a background check. Saves you a few minutes, while they call to see if you are worthy.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    I know a good number of people who think all store bought gun transactions are entered into Uncle Sam's electronic data base.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The 4473 is de facto gun registration. They are stored at the FFL until the FFL quits. Then the ATF gets them forever. This is what the lefties call the gun show loophole. No record of private transfers. A great reason to buy used.
    All your LTC means is the DPS had done a background check. Saves you a few minutes, while they call to see if you are worthy.
    If a gun turns up used in a crime & the seriel numbers are intact there is going to be a reverse trace made on the gun. You don't want to be the person telling BATFE agent investigating I sold it FTF, but I don't know who to.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If a gun turns up used in a crime & the seriel numbers are intact there is going to be a reverse trace made on the gun. You don't want to be the person telling BATFE agent investigating I sold it FTF, but I don't know who to.

So, you are saying people should get a bill of sale?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If a gun turns up used in a crime & the seriel numbers are intact there is going to be a reverse trace made on the gun.

Most crime guns are NOT traced.

IYou don't want to be the person telling BATFE agent investigating I sold it FTF, but I don't know who to.

Why not? I did, and the gun was used in a murder. Nothing burger.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

tenor.gif

Attachments

• tenor.gif
      tenor.gif
      568.4 KB · Views: 700

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Believe what you want. I could tell you a story about a Bushmaster AR used in an aggravated crime. Dealer gave it to his son, who traded it to a guy for work done, that traded it to a dealer @ a Conroe gun show.

When a ATF agents says it was used in an aggrevated crime & breaks that down for you if your to stupid to know what it means then attaches you as last in possession shit gets real.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Believe what you want. I could tell you a story about a Bushmaster AR used in an aggravated crime. Dealer gave it to his son, who traded it to a guy for work done, that traded it to a dealer @ a Conroe gun show.

When a ATF agents says it was used in an aggrevated crime & breaks that down for you if your to stupid to know what it means then attaches you as last in possession shit gets real.

Conroe dealer should have 4473 on sale of said rifle. Trace would start there. Previous owners inconsequential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Shit only gets real if Conroe Dealer does not have a disposition record for the gun. Everyone else is in the clear.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Conroe dealer should have 4473 on sale of said rifle. Trace would start there. Previous owners inconsequential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If the dealer is still in business he has not turned in 4473. Guns traced in crimes go reverse from manufacture, wholesaler, dealers.

Top Bottom