• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I have accumulated about 80 pounds of lead ingots and about 80 pounds of brass slabs. My question is whether anyone has, or considered using brass for casting bullets?
    i am trying to decide what to do with all od the brass I accum during a year. I usually give away about 200 pounds, but was thinking it might be used as bullets, what do the experts say?
    Thanks
    ARJ Defense ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have no idea if it's still a thing or not, but some benchrest shooters would take brass rods on a lathe and turn their own bullets.

If you were going to make cast brass bullets, you would need a forge, or foundry to be able to melt and then pour the molten brass into some sort of casting of some sort.

Lead is actually fairly simpler to melt and cast.

Just guessing, it's possible, but you would have to determine if the amount of work was worth the effort to go that route to make bullets from cast brass.

There are some videos on YouTube about making a foundry for home, and some on casting brass you might search out and watch.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Casting solid brass bullets will take some serious equipment.
    It would be easier to machine them on a lathe.
    In the past there have been a couple of companies that sold a bullet forming set up that uses various brass casing and lead core wire to for bullets.
    IIRC, 9mm brass was used to make .40cal bullets. 22lr brass made .224 bullets. Etc.
    Corbin was the name I think.

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I have melted and poured my own lead bullets when I shot more black powder. So I am familiar with lead, but have not researched the melting point of brass.
    just curious if anyone else had look into it.
    in a SHTF scenario, lead may be had to come by? Just trying to think outside the box

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The melting point on the brass is probably going to depend on the alloy of the brass. IIRC, most brass melts in excess of 1500 to 1600 degrees. So if you are wanting to cast brass, you would need a pretty hot foundry.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    There is also the possibility of swaging a brass bullet using a press and dies, or using the brass as a jacket then filling with lead. I have done neither the first of which is just an idea, the other I've seen videos of it being done.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Sell the brass and buy more lead. Or solid copper bullets if desired.
    I agree. Brass scrap prices are up. Take it to the recycling center and get some cash. Then buy lead to cast. Life.will be much simpler.

As for brass you accumulate during a year, sell it to reloaders if you aren't reloading it yourself.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    i typically give my brass and copper to a customer, who in turn is now giving me lead. But I do think it would be better to have the lead.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Belt Mountain had their “Punch” bullets that were solid brass. I believe the were milled and not cast. I still have a box of their 45-70 and .357 mag from Grizzly Ammunition. It is very gnarly stuff.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Belt Mountain had their “Punch” bullets that were solid brass. I believe the were milled and not cast. I still have a box of their 45-70 and .357 mag from Grizzly Ammunition. It is very gnarly stuff.

I'm thinking there are a couple of bullet manufacturers that do, or have made solid brass bullets at one time or another.

I Googled "brass bullets" just to see what popped up.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have accumulated about 80 pounds of lead ingots and about 80 pounds of brass slabs. My question is whether anyone has, or considered using brass for casting bullets?
    i am trying to decide what to do with all od the brass I accum during a year. I usually give away about 200 pounds, but was thinking it might be used as bullets, what do the experts say?
    Thanks
    Sell the brass for scrap value and use it to buy more lead.

You're not going to be able to make brass bullets that are going to be economical or really even worth the trouble unless you are trying to make bullets that you otherwise couldn't get.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I'm thinking there are a couple of bullet manufacturers that do, or have made solid brass bullets at one time or another.

I Googled "brass bullets" just to see what popped up.

that was an informative site. They also had some good instructions on barrel cleaning.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks
    I'd save a year or two of your brass and melt it, add some small things and cast yourself a bad-ass cannon.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Brass alone isn't a good casting material.
    The density of brass is 23% less than that of lead and the BHN is 60.

This means, that if you somehow could cast from a 150-grain bullet mold, the weight of the final product would be around 115 grains. Secondly, with such a high BHN the brass bullet would wear down your grooves and lands faster than a lead core bullet.

IMO, it is a lot to contend with first of all to get this project off the ground. Thus IMO stick to lead cast bullets or copper jacketed FMJ and save time, money and efforts.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Aren't Barnes X bullets solid brass alloy of some type? Machining bullets from brass isn't a new thing, but as others have mentioned, melting and casting brass would be beyond the scope of even the most dedicated caster, I would think. 1650 to 1750 F melting temperature.

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I think everyone may have mis the original intent, or I didn’t state it effectively, the only reason for the question and keeping it was, should a worse case scenario develop for an extended period, we may be forced to make do. But I think enough info has pointed out that it would not be practical as an individual.

But i do like the cannon idea!

Top Bottom