• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Our sponsor DK Firearms has them on sale for $409. Thought it would be fun to outfit like a gun we had in the AF. We called them GAU's. An SBR carbine M-16. While looking for parts, I learned that DPMS welds the flash hiders on their barrels. The rifle is a just because thing, no real purpose or need. The GAU hider was quite long. So the "look" would be lost but the gun still seems like a good deal. Any thoughts, my budget is tight. Brownells sells the hiders
    https://dkfirearms.com/product/dpms-oracle-5-56mm/

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Meh. Had one for a while. Gas block sits on a different plane than the main rail, and I think it was off center. Good for a red dot or scope, I guess. Shot accurate enough and worked reliably. Just nothing to write home about. It's really the cheapest of the brand name models.
    Traded it in for a FAL and bought a kit from PSA for a total of $350 (complete upper and complete lower, just clip them together).

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Going for the look, like a tribute. can't do the taxes and other hoop jumping to own a real SBR. $159 upper would be the way to go if I could.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Put a brace on it.
    IMG_2408.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpg
      IMG_2408.jpg
      210.5 KB · Views: 508

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Looked around PSA for awhile and put together a classic M4 upper lower and magazine for a $60 savings over DK with free shipping. Just gotta find and add the rear sight/carry handle and I'll have a new basic shooter.
    Anybody have a line on where to find vintage (looking) 20 round metal magazines. I got a 30 rd plastic mag but again I'm after that 1970's look. All they gave us was 4 20's back in the stone age. I have not had an AR platform since turning in my M16 cards in 1977.
    One piece at a time I'm gonna have some fun

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I paid $32.10 for a genuine Colt made milsurp carry handle on eBay. There are several available there although not as cheap.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Buy a brownells xm177e2 upper on a lower built on the cheap. May cost more, but the end result will be better

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Looked around PSA for awhile and put together a classic M4 upper lower and magazine for a $60 savings over DK with free shipping. Just gotta find and add the rear sight/carry handle and I'll have a new basic shooter.
    Anybody have a line on where to find vintage (looking) 20 round metal magazines. I got a 30 rd plastic mag but again I'm after that 1970's look. All they gave us was 4 20's back in the stone age. I have not had an AR platform since turning in my M16 cards in 1977.
    One piece at a time I'm gonna have some fun
    Where are you located at? I have a Colt usgi carry handle/rear sight that I am not using and I will give it to you for free

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    While I am all about supporting the sponsors if it isn't what you want then so be it.

I recently put a few together that cost just over $300 each. Surf the "good deals" thread and choose your parts. I am happy with how they came out.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Now that I had my morning coffee, I'm thinking OP would be best served with this GAU replica:

View attachment 177062

Of course now we're at almost triple at what the DPMS in the thread title costs, but OFW ;)

https://myservicerifle.com/product/troy-gau-5aa/
    That's the one! With the slick sided upper. You guys are amazing. Mine is going to be an "on the cheap" tribute, but no doubt it will please me. As I am already counting the days and my fingers are poised over the "track shipment" key. I already have 1k rounds I bought months ago. I have a bad habit of backing out of purchases that are wants, rather then needs. With another purchase, I could have a credible tribute to the M16A1 and 2's we also carried. This is going to be fun. Wish it was the 5th already as nobody ever has Crosby Hardware's FFL on file. I enjoy the act of picking up a gun from the hardware store. There is something so "yesterday" about the experience.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Where are you located at? I have a Colt usgi carry handle/rear sight that I am not using and I will give it to you for free
    I would not turn down a free part. Crosby is a little blue collar nowhere just east of Houston, with an somewhat undeserved bad reputation. I'll gladly cover all the shipping and handling. I'd be happy to pay for the part.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I would not turn down a free part. Crosby is a little blue collar nowhere just east of Houston, with an somewhat undeserved bad reputation. I'll gladly cover all the shipping and handling. I'd be happy to pay for the part.
    Sure thing just send me a private message with the address and I will have it out tomorrow morning via usps

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Lets see now. Somewhere in the mail I have the following...

Complete upper w/front sight
    Complete lower
    Rear sight/Carry handle (may be in mailbox now)MTA89, my hero
    1 30 rd mag plastic
    1 20 rd mag (metal USGI for looks)
    Maglula (cause I love them)
    1k rounds

What else do I need? What did I forget?

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Is Pig Supply still open in Crosby?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom