• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Went to the doc two days ago and my blood test came back with a PSA (prostate) spike from the 6/7 it has been for years to 16. Following up with urologist but wanted to ask if anyone in their 70’s has had similar test results and what it turned out to be
    Military Camp

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I had a 10 point spike a few years ago.

My GP sent me for a prostate exam and another blood test almost immediately.
    Exam came back fine, and the new blood work showed that something evidently went wrong with the first test, and my PSA was normal.

ETA: I'm 62 now, was late 50s then.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Be 60 in 2 weeks. Had the rotor rooter exam at 55 clean as a whistle according to doc and got the 10 yr plan.

The inspection aint all that bad its the lead up day thats sux.

All I got. Hope all is well with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Went to the doc two days ago and my blood test came back with a PSA (prostate) spike from the 6/7 it has been for years to 16. Following up with urologist but wanted to ask if anyone in their 70’s has had similar test results and what it turned out to be

Things like infection in the body can cause a spike in PSA. A digital rectal exam is the next best step. If the urologist is happy with the results, they may prescribe an antibiotic and then check your PSA again after you have finished the antibiotics.

plinkr

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    US
    Be 60 in 2 weeks. Had the rotor rooter exam at 55 clean as a whistle according to doc and got the 10 yr plan.

The inspection aint all that bad its the lead up day thats sux.

All I got. Hope all is well with you

I think you may be confusing different exams. PSA is Prostate Specific Antigen, a marker for prostate cancer. Several conditions can cause an artificial spike, including riding a bicycle. What you describe sounds like a colonoscopy, used to detect polyps and tumors of the colon.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I think you may be confusing different exams. PSA is Prostate Specific Antigen, a marker for prostate cancer. Several conditions can cause an artificial spike, including riding a bicycle. What you describe sounds like a colonoscopy, used to detect polyps and tumors of the colon.

You are correct my bad. I recall doc saying mine was normal for age. Just not sure why both his hands were on my shoulders when he felt it. Weird.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Very common to have spikes. Probable antibiotics for a month after digital rectal exam. Make sure you don't have sex for a couple of weeks before next PSA test as this can elevate PSA. If still elevated probable sonogram and maybe biopsy.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX

I realize that the PSA test is different that a colonoscopy. Maybe the PSA test is done by testing blood lab work?
    But isn't a prostate check (to some degree, maybe not as precise as a PSA test) part of the colonoscopy?

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I realize that the PSA test is different that a colonoscopy. Maybe the PSA test is done by testing blood lab work?
    But isn't a prostate check (to some degree, maybe not as precise as a PSA test) part of the colonoscopy?
    Yes PSA is bloodwork. I'm always "under" during a colonoscopy - so I can't say for sure what they do to me, but theoretically the answer to your question is no.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    4 years ago my PSA started creeping up. When it went over 4 had a biopsy and it was cancerous. Had the prostate removed, robotic surgery. PSA now undetectable, tested every 6 months. I turned 73 last month.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Very common to have spikes. Probable antibiotics for a month after digital rectal exam. Make sure you don't have sex for a couple of weeks before next PSA test as this can elevate PSA. If still elevated probable sonogram and maybe biopsy.

I guess I am going to have to fire that 18 year old housekeeper!

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Prostate cancer is a gold mine for urologists in the United States. It’s over treated because there is a strong monetary incentive to do so. Not saying all cases should be ignored. Just saying get a second opinion by a doc that doesn’t own a robot or a radiation machine.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Prostate cancer is a gold mine for urologists in the United States. It’s over treated because there is a strong monetary incentive to do so. Not saying all cases should be ignored. Just saying get a second opinion by a doc that doesn’t own a robot or a radiation machine.

Err.. That's not quite true. Prostate and colorectal cancer kill a shit load of people.

1614576246018.png

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Err.. That's not quite true. Prostate and colorectal cancer kill a shit load of people.

View attachment 246475

I’m not saying it doesn’t kill. I’m saying it’s over treated. Big difference. There’s a loophole (Stark) which allows urologists to self refer to radiation machines they own. This is huge money for them. There are those out there that will radiate or cut every enlarged prostate that walks through the door. Not every case is a candidate for radiation or surgery. Know your Gleason Score and get a second opinion. An 80 year old man with a Gleason Score of 6 is going to die of old age before prostate cancer.

FYI, the more they treat the more I make. So by all means let’s continue to radiate every prostate that walks through the door.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I’m not saying it doesn’t kill. I’m saying it’s over treated. Big difference. There’s a loophole (Stark) which allows urologists to self refer to radiation machines they own. This is huge money for them. There are those out there that will radiate or cut every enlarged prostate that walks through the door. Not every case is a candidate for radiation or surgery. Know your Gleason Score and get a second opinion. An 80 year old man with a Gleason Score of 6 is going to die of old age before prostate cancer.

FYI, the more they treat the more I make. So by all means let’s continue to radiate every prostate that walks through the door.

Fascinating. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist about some troubling activity down there in April. They are booked pretty solid and that was the first date I could get.

Top Bottom