PSA Test Tesults

gdr_11

Well-Known
Aug 1, 2014
Went to the doc two days ago and my blood test came back with a PSA (prostate) spike from the 6/7 it has been for years to 16. Following up with urologist but wanted to ask if anyone in their 70’s has had similar test results and what it turned out to be

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
I had a 10 point spike a few years ago.

My GP sent me for a prostate exam and another blood test almost immediately.
Exam came back fine, and the new blood work showed that something evidently went wrong with the first test, and my PSA was normal.

ETA: I'm 62 now, was late 50s then.

Texas45

Well-Known
Dec 10, 2020
Not where you are
Be 60 in 2 weeks. Had the rotor rooter exam at 55 clean as a whistle according to doc and got the 10 yr plan.

The inspection aint all that bad its the lead up day thats sux.

All I got. Hope all is well with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
Jun 8, 2009
San Antonio
Went to the doc two days ago and my blood test came back with a PSA (prostate) spike from the 6/7 it has been for years to 16. Following up with urologist but wanted to ask if anyone in their 70’s has had similar test results and what it turned out to be
Things like infection in the body can cause a spike in PSA. A digital rectal exam is the next best step. If the urologist is happy with the results, they may prescribe an antibiotic and then check your PSA again after you have finished the antibiotics.

plinkr

Feb 18, 2019
US
Be 60 in 2 weeks. Had the rotor rooter exam at 55 clean as a whistle according to doc and got the 10 yr plan.

The inspection aint all that bad its the lead up day thats sux.

All I got. Hope all is well with you

I think you may be confusing different exams. PSA is Prostate Specific Antigen, a marker for prostate cancer. Several conditions can cause an artificial spike, including riding a bicycle. What you describe sounds like a colonoscopy, used to detect polyps and tumors of the colon.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Texas45

Well-Known
Dec 10, 2020
Not where you are
I think you may be confusing different exams. PSA is Prostate Specific Antigen, a marker for prostate cancer. Several conditions can cause an artificial spike, including riding a bicycle. What you describe sounds like a colonoscopy, used to detect polyps and tumors of the colon.

You are correct my bad. I recall doc saying mine was normal for age. Just not sure why both his hands were on my shoulders when he felt it. Weird.

rotor

Well-Known
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
Very common to have spikes. Probable antibiotics for a month after digital rectal exam. Make sure you don't have sex for a couple of weeks before next PSA test as this can elevate PSA. If still elevated probable sonogram and maybe biopsy.

TipBledsoe

TGT Supporter
Jun 28, 2020
La Vernia, TX

I realize that the PSA test is different that a colonoscopy. Maybe the PSA test is done by testing blood lab work?
But isn't a prostate check (to some degree, maybe not as precise as a PSA test) part of the colonoscopy?

BRD@66

TGT Addict
Jan 23, 2014
Liberty Hill
I realize that the PSA test is different that a colonoscopy. Maybe the PSA test is done by testing blood lab work?
But isn't a prostate check (to some degree, maybe not as precise as a PSA test) part of the colonoscopy?
Yes PSA is bloodwork. I'm always "under" during a colonoscopy - so I can't say for sure what they do to me, but theoretically the answer to your question is no.

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Forum statistics

Threads
Members