Proposed ATF Rule - New Rule to Help Enhance Safe and Secure Storage of Firearms

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Project Child Safe provides locks for free. This is a go-nowhere nothing burger, even if it somehow does get enacted and a gunshop some how does not know about Project Child Safe... they should find them and just leave the pile of locks on the counter. Free lock with every gun purchase. Gun locks are stupid, useless, and easily defeated feel good measures.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Giving up the 01 FFL and keeping the 07 FFL w/SOT....no sales to public. Still have to provide safe storage for firearms covered by the license/premises but do not have provide any for sale as a manufacturer........

I think it is a good time to get out of the retail side of it......

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Project Child Safe provides locks for free. This is a go-nowhere nothing burger, even if it somehow does get enacted and a gunshop some how does not know about Project Child Safe... they should find them and just leave the pile of locks on the counter. Free lock with every gun purchase. Gun locks are stupid, useless, and easily defeated feel good measures.

CA mandates a lock for private party transfers, which can only be done at an FFL.

The several FFL’s in LA County I used over the years all made us show a receipt along with the lock.

So we couldn’t just show up with a lock…they made us show a receipt as proof we purchased the lock.

If we didn’t have a receipt, they’d sell us a lock for $10.

These weren’t isolated incidents, it was every FFL including big-name stores like Turners Outdoorsman.

I’ve got to think there was .some gov retardedness behind it…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    CA mandates a lock for private party transfers, which can only be done at an FFL.

The several FFL’s in LA County I used over the years all made us show a receipt along with the lock.

So we couldn’t just show up with a lock…they made us show a receipt as proof we purchased the lock.

These weren’t isolated incidents, it was every FFL including big-name stores like Turners Outdoorsman.

You’d imagine the gun lock industry must be giggling in their sleep thinking of how many locks they can sell in the foreseeable future.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

After Oregon followed Cali's suit of no private party transfers, the pawn shops / gougy-greedy-fuckhead FFL's started doing some similar. There was a pawn shop I used for transfers simply because they were one of the cheapest. They had a policy (there was no state law mandating it) that every gun that left the store HAD to have a lock accompany it. You could bring one, if you didn't have one, you could buy one.

So if you were trading guns - the typical deal, if someone didn't have a lock to bring, was you split the cost of a lock ($3 each) - person A walks the gun, with the unopened lock, to their car. They bring the lock back in, then person B walks out with their gun and the lock. It was bullshit - especially when there are free gun locks literally given out like halloween candy. It was purely a money grab. Same said pawn shop also mandated you bring a *color* copy of your ID to go with the transfer for their records. Another bullshit thing - state law nor feds required them to maintain a photocopy of your driver license. Just fill out the 4473. Of course if you didn't bring a color photocopy of your ID, they'd make one, for $3.

When another FFL started charging close to the same - I stopped doing business with that particular pawn shop all together. I hate assholes who nickel and dime you over shit that shouldn't even be a thing in the first place.

Gedunk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2020
    Austin
    Hey everyone, wanted to give a quick heads up that there's an incoming ATF rule to be published 1/4/2022. From what I've read, it looks like the rule will amend the ATF's regulations to account for the existing statutory requirement that applicants for FFL licenses certify that secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place where firearms are sold under the license to non licensed individuals.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/just...ce-safe-and-secure-storage-firearms-publishes - Link to article
    https://public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2021-28398.pdf - Link to legislation

I don't like where this is going with introducing requirements that could later be expanded to hurt retailers (probably smaller mom and pop stores more so than Bass Pro or something). Thoughts?
    I think this is the first step. Next will be a requirement that buyers must sign a sworn statement they have a lockable storage device. If they have a weapon stolen and it’s used in a crime the feds can lockup the owner.

BillDFW12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2021
    DFW
    From New Rule -"that they have available secure gun storage or safety devices"
    I interpret that as either/or. Either Safe Gun Storage or Gun Safety Devices. Keep a few trigger locks, Gun Safety Devices, in the "collecting dust" section.. Done.

Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    From New Rule -"that they have available secure gun storage or safety devices"
    I interpret that as either/or. Either Safe Gun Storage or Gun Safety Devices. Keep a few trigger locks, Gun Safety Devices, in the "collecting dust" section.. Done.
    Safes are a bitch to sell, I can envision an audit going poorly if a LGS never sold the two safes tucked in the corner of their store for years.

Maybe you could just have a mutual agreement between two stores to sell one of each safe to each other at purchase price.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    C&R licensees do not "sell firearms under the scope of their license". They may occasionally sell in a personal capacity C&R firearms, but that is considered a private sale, though it must be logged in their book.
    Exactly.

BillDFW12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2021
    DFW
    Safes are a bitch to sell, I can envision an audit going poorly if a LGS never sold the two safes tucked in the corner of their store for years.

Maybe you could just have a mutual agreement between two stores to sell one of each safe to each other at purchase price.
    If it becomes a problem .. Cheap safes will appear. I've got a few of those locking file box deals which are fine for documents, etc. Something of that ilk in a larger size for longuns will show up.. Again.. an either/or situation is not a mandate for both

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If it becomes a problem .. Cheap safes will appear. I've got a few of those locking file box deals which are fine for documents, etc. Something of that ilk in a larger size for longuns will show up.. Again.. an either/or situation is not a mandate for both
    Again.. an either/or situation is not a mandate for both.

This is the BATF. A bureaucratic federal agency that arbitrarily sets it's own rules based on a political agenda. Constantly changing "definitions" to suit that political agenda at their whims.

You make it sound as if you expect, or think that they are going to play fair, or by the rules. Hmmm....

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Meh, Stack On already sells cheap security cabinets. If you're just carrying stuff to meet stupid feel good measures, a $50 Stack On cabinet works fine. It works as-well as a $6 trigger lock, but arguably better because you can fit more than one gun into it.

BillDFW12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2021
    DFW
    Again.. an either/or situation is not a mandate for both.

This is the BATF. A bureaucratic federal agency that arbitrarily sets it's own rules based on a political agenda. Constantly changing "definitions" to suit that political agenda at their whims.

You make it sound as if you expect, or think that they are going to play fair, or by the rules. Hmmm....
    In the past .. the ATF has issued Letters of Guidance to clarify rules or policies. That was certainly the case with pistol braces on AR's. I think Garland will do everything he can to politicize the ATF..

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    In the past .. the ATF has issued Letters of Guidance to clarify rules or policies. That was certainly the case with pistol braces on AR's. I think Garland will do everything he can to politicize the ATF..
    I think Garland will do everything he can to politicize the ATF..

I think you are way behind on that. BATF is already politicized and has been probably going back to the Obama administration. Garland is just a new tool for them to use.

Remember the Fast and Furious fiasco?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom