Guns International

Proposed ATF Rule - New Rule to Help Enhance Safe and Secure Storage of Firearms

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Hey everyone, wanted to give a quick heads up that there's an incoming ATF rule to be published 1/4/2022. From what I've read, it looks like the rule will amend the ATF's regulations to account for the existing statutory requirement that applicants for FFL licenses certify that secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place where firearms are sold under the license to non licensed individuals.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/just...ce-safe-and-secure-storage-firearms-publishes - Link to article
    https://public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2021-28398.pdf - Link to legislation

I don't like where this is going with introducing requirements that could later be expanded to hurt retailers (probably smaller mom and pop stores more so than Bass Pro or something). Thoughts?
    Gun Zone Deals

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    "integral to the new rule is the requirement that FFLs have available secure gun storage options that are compatible with the firearms they are selling." Which will force sellers to have more inventory of safes and other storage devices on hand, at considerable expense, most of which will never be sold. Just another way for that douche nozzle merrick garland to put the screws further to FFLs.

Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    "integral to the new rule is the requirement that FFLs have available secure gun storage options that are compatible with the firearms they are selling." Which will force sellers to have more inventory of safes and other storage devices on hand, at considerable expense, most of which will never be sold. Just another way for that douche nozzle merrick garland to put the screws further to FFLs.
    That’s really upsetting, I feel that pricing out interested newcomers is even more detrimental than passing another ban. You can learn and work with rules to a certain extent (shitty as they may be) but making the hobby more and more expensive by pushing ammo prices up hurts everyone across the board and people get priced out of their natural right.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Looks like the rule was proposed in 2016 but ignored until now. Brandon is at work. I didn't see the actual text. If a dealer has heavy doors, an alarm system, and bars on the windows, will that satisfy the requirement?

Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Looks like the rule was proposed in 2016 but ignored until now. Brandon is at work. I didn't see the actual text. If a dealer has heavy doors, an alarm system, and bars on the windows, will that satisfy the requirement?
    Yes that’s right, I think is more along the lines that the dealer, no matter how small, has to offer like gun safety products for sale. So like a few safes and locks. Problem is that it’s a pretty tall order to make some sales on said safes and locks if prices are not competitive.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    What I find interesting is that this might make sense if they were really having a problem with people stealing from FFLs. Once they start, then it will evolve into specifications for the vaults, alarm systems, etc. Death by a thousand cuts.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Can’t remember how long it’s been since a new firearm I purchased from an FFL didn’t come with a cable lock and/or trigger lock. Then there’s the Hillary hole.

How much more security is needed? Why must a retailer be compelled to offer something when the open market (capitalism) will have more appropriate and cheaper options available?

Fûcking dictators.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    "gun storage or safety device be compatible with the firearms offered"

Might be for one agent and not the next.. Compatibility isn't really defined.

Well for all the guns I have purchased recently I cant see how the cable lock would not work on 99% of all guns to render them "safe"

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    You guys know you can get a machine gun from the cartels or other organized crime syndicates easier and cheaper than buying one legally through a dealer?

That's why black markets happen, it's literally the definition. When government regulation makes a product or service too hard or expensive to get black markets pop up.

I don't know about now, but 20 years ago I knew several gang members and any one of them could have gotten me a fully automatic weapon, of that I have no doubts.

The ATF is a useless organization, the NFA and the Hughes act are just government regulations overstepping their constitutional authority. (of which they have none)

Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    You guys know you can get a machine gun from the cartels or other organized crime syndicates easier and cheaper than buying one legally through a dealer?

That's why black markets happen, it's literally the definition. When government regulation makes a product or service too hard or expensive to get black markets pop up.

I don't know about now, but 20 years ago I knew several gang members and any one of them could have gotten me a fully automatic weapon, of that I have no doubts.

The ATF is a useless organization, the NFA and the Hughes act are just government regulations overstepping their constitutional authority. (of which they have none)
    This a nothing burger.
    Yeah it kinda is a nothing in the sense that this was legislation that was already passed and the ATF is just updating things on their end to comply, but it’s still a step down a bad path and we have the opportunity to submit comments during this period to make our voices heard.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Firearms typically come with the little padlocks anyway. That should meet the vague definition of safety device.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I usually leave the trigger locks on the shelf of my local gun shop on my way out the door so they can re-use them for people that actually CARE!!!!

I found half a dozen in my cabinet that I returned to the FFL transfer guy I frequent.

Recycling is FUN.

Top Bottom