• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Even my grandmother didn't go that far, and half her dishes were repurposed mason jars as glasses, and a full set of CoolWhip bowls for cereal, soup and food storage.
    My grandmother did the SAME thing with the Cool Whip bowls. I thought for sure she was the only one.
    Unless of course, you're one of my cousins???
    Lynx Defense

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    My grandmother did the SAME thing with the Cool Whip bowls. I thought for sure she was the only one.
    Unless of course, you're one of my cousins???

That's far from impossible as many cousins as I've got. But I think the mason jar and Cool Whip thing is a lingering effect of living in the depression...although from what my grandparents told me, their lives didn't really change that much since they had nothing to begin with.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I love mason jars as glasses!

But now I’m thinking that my MIL is on some MIL-forum posting about her weirdo SIL who drinks from them :beat:

26B01862-B31F-4A69-A959-FF2E7FD6CC24.jpeg

My mom does the same thing with CoolWhip-type plastic packaging, drove me nuts as a kid when I wanted whipped cream but instead get a spoonful of cold leftovers

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I love mason jars as glasses!

But now I’m thinking that my MIL is on some MIL-forum posting about her weirdo SIL who drinks from them :beat:

View attachment 358252

My mom does the same thing with CoolWhip-type plastic packaging, drove me nuts as a kid when I wanted whipped cream but instead get a spoonful of cold leftovers
    Something to drink out of is something to drink out of. I do this.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    A couple folks have mentioned their parents being depression era kids. Mine were to; the save & re-use, take care of your stuff, and generally self-supporting/sufficiency lasted a lifetime. Growing up as a kid of a depression era kid was an experience.

My wife is six months younger than I am, but her parents are a generation later. I re-use cool-whip tubs in the reloading bench; she wonders why I just don’t buy some little blue bins instead.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I bought mason jars with the sole purpose of drinking from them. I use a Bell quart jar almost daily.
    Squarish makes them easier to hold, round mouth best for drinking, and smaller mouth than if the wall was straight, larger volume also = damn near perfect with a screw lid to boot!

Pick up a few stainless lids...

EcoPeaceful 316 Surgical Stainless Steel Mason Jar Lids WIDE Mouth -ORIGINAL DESIGN- Stackable w/ Pull-Tab Silicone Seal. Rust-proof, Airtight, Leak-Proof, BPA-Free, PVC-Free, Vegan - Not for Canning https://a.co/dhTPXyV

EcoPeaceful 316 Surgical Stainless Steel Mason Jar Lids REGULAR Mouth - ORIGINAL DESIGN - Stackable w/ Pull-Tab Silicone Seal. Rust-proof, Airtight, Leak-proof, Vegan, BPA-Free, PVC-free, Reusable - Not for Canning https://a.co/4EGfUuL

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Squarish makes them easier to hold, round mouth best for drinking, and smaller mouth than if the wall was straight, larger volume also = damn near perfect with a screw lid to boot!

Pick up a few stainless lids...

EcoPeaceful 316 Surgical Stainless Steel Mason Jar Lids WIDE Mouth -ORIGINAL DESIGN- Stackable w/ Pull-Tab Silicone Seal. Rust-proof, Airtight, Leak-Proof, BPA-Free, PVC-Free, Vegan - Not for Canning https://a.co/dhTPXyV

EcoPeaceful 316 Surgical Stainless Steel Mason Jar Lids REGULAR Mouth - ORIGINAL DESIGN - Stackable w/ Pull-Tab Silicone Seal. Rust-proof, Airtight, Leak-proof, Vegan, BPA-Free, PVC-free, Reusable - Not for Canning https://a.co/4EGfUuL
    Perfect.
    I had been using plastic lids with a silicone gasket, but I’d prefer to get away from cheap Chinese plastic.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    A couple folks have mentioned their parents being depression era kids. Mine were to; the save & re-use, take care of your stuff, and generally self-supporting/sufficiency lasted a lifetime. Growing up as a kid of a depression era kid was an experience.

My wife is six months younger than I am, but her parents are a generation later. I re-use cool-whip tubs in the reloading bench; she wonders why I just don’t buy some little blue bins instead.
    My wife, 7 years younger, can't believe I wash red plastic cups.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom