• ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Today’s update:
    Mrs Pronstar (MP) and I are severely limiting Stetson’s TV time. He might be a bit “on the spectrum” so we’re working thru some issues with therapists. I’ll get back to that in a moment…

So MP asks MIL to watch Stetson for maybe 20 mins. No problem, he’s in his playground AKA what used to be our dining room, playing just fine by himself.

MP returns, and MIL is watching cartoons with Stetson on her lap.

MP is furious, we all know the rules about Stetson’s TV time and we’ve all talked about it.

MIL’s reply?
    “They're Christian cartoons, he should be able to watch those”.

Look, my faith isn’t a secret…but come on now.

About Stetson:
    He’s nearly 2 and not talking.
    Lots of kids don’t talk until later, we get that.
    But we’ve been a little concerned that he’s not hitting some milestones.
    So we’ve got some assistance.

He’s doing great and is now moving toward hitting some communications milestones for his age. He continues to impress with each passing day, and we have no doubt he will catch up to his age cohort soon.

Here’s what y’all might find hilarious, if not unsurprising:
    Looking at the Autism spectrum checklist, I check most boxes and would likely be diagnosed as a full-blown Autist LMAO

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Today’s update:
    Mrs Pronstar (MP) and I are severely limiting Stetson’s TV time. He might be a bit “on the spectrum” so we’re working thru some issues with therapists. I’ll get back to that in a moment…

So MP asks MIL to watch Stetson for maybe 20 mins. No problem, he’s in his playground AKA what used to be our dining room, playing just fine by himself.

MP returns, and MIL is watching cartoons with Stetson on her lap.

MP is furious, we all know the rules about Stetson’s TV time and we’ve all talked about it.

MIL’s reply?
    “They're Christian cartoons, he should be able to watch those”.

Look, my faith isn’t a secret…but come on now.

About Stetson:
    He’s nearly 2 and not talking.
    Lots of kids don’t talk until later, we get that.
    But we’ve been a little concerned that he’s not hitting some milestones.
    So we’ve got some assistance.

He’s doing great and is now moving toward hitting some communications milestones for his age. He continues to impress with each passing day, and we have no doubt he will catch up to his age cohort soon.

Looking at the Autism spectrum checklist, I check most boxes and would likely be diagnosed as a full-blown Autist LMAO
    My second born son I thought had issues too. He had turned 2 and didn't say anything at all. Could walk, run, eat, shit, but no talking.
    Then one day shortly after turning 2 he spoke a few words. Then about 2 weeks later he was speaking in full sentences. Hasn't stopped talking since (that was almost 35 years ago).

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    My youngest was a bit later than many to really say much as well, to the point my wife was already researching therapists and developmental psychologists. I pushed back - I understood he knew how to speak just fine, but he chose not to. Fast forward a bit, and he'll talk your ear off if you let him. He was about four before he was choosing to use speech, versus trying to use gestures and social engineering to get what he wanted. It took a fair amount of "if you won't say what you want, I guess you don't need it badly enough." My stubbornness ultimately won ;)

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    My second born son I thought had issues too. He had turned 2 and didn't say anything at all. Could walk, run, eat, shit, but no talking.
    Then one day shortly after turning 2 he spoke a few words. Then about 2 weeks later he was speaking in full sentences. Hasn't stopped talking since (that was almost 35 years ago).
    Yeah we’re not buying into the whole spectrum thing too much…but if we can acquire the tools to both communicate better with him, while also helping him to progress, then we figure it can really only help.

Th two therapists are great, they come to our house and basically instruct us more than him.

We went into this quite adamant that we aren’t looking for folks to tell us what wrong with our kid, because he’s perfect just as God created him.

What we want is basically what I posted above, tools for us to better communicate with him, and to set him up for success.

At the end of the day, we’re building this airplane as we’re flying it and quite possibly have no idea what we’re doing…just like every other first time parent :-)

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    My youngest was a bit later than many to really say much as well, to the point my wife was already researching therapists and developmental psychologists. I pushed back - I understood he knew how to speak just fine, but he chose not to. Fast forward a bit, and he'll talk your ear off if you let him. He was about four before he was choosing to use speech, versus trying to use gestures and social engineering to get what he wanted. It took a fair amount of "if you won't say what you want, I guess you don't need it badly enough." My stubbornness ultimately won ;)

I’m with ya.
    He’s gonna be fine.
    And we’re getting the tools we need to set him up for success.

He’s already quite the car guy :-)
    CEAE4CF3-0D2D-4A8A-B747-B9936739FA6C.jpeg

Last edited:

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    My twin nieces are 3 1/2 years old and one did start talking around 2 but the other one waiting until 2 1/2 to start talking. Now they both talk normal for their age.

I also have a 24 year old cousin who didn't talk right until 8yo. He even had speech therapy for many years and finally came around really late. Today he's a normal hard working guy with zero issues.

Guess it's different for everybody. I wouldn't lose hope yet.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Have a grand that at 3 is just starting to talk. Naturally shy, and just doesn’t have much to say with older siblings eating up ear time.

But when it’s time to say something, you WILL get the message.
    :popcorn:

Try not to worry and keep the faith, but do all you can to help him learn to communicate well. He’ll be fine.

ETA - one word spoken often is “Poppi”

Loud and clear.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    None of my 3 boys hit the same mile stones at the same time. Not one.
    Unless there are other concerns or it causes a major problem, let them progress at their own rate.
    When Stetson gets to the point that he sees that being vocal will get him more faster he will most likely become more vocal.
    There may be such a thing as average but there is no such thing as normal. And average means there are some that are slower or even faster.
    2 of my boys were not "readers". They could but chose not to. One was reading adult books in pre K. Reading just past 4 yrs old.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    One of my nephews was slow to talk. They figured out he was allergic to somethings & could not hear. That was fixed with ear drain tubes.

They also worried about him standing to pee. His dad left shortly after he was born, and raised with his mom& 2 sisters. I drew target of airplanes & ships on toilet paper & showed him the joys of standing to piss to destroy the enemy floating in the bowl.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Took me till I was 55 to figure it out for myself... Then, reading a couple of my grandmothers letters from when my father was a child, I think he was ASD too.

I think it has always been around, but just not often diagnosed, most kids eventually growing to be almost normal, then becoming engineers, mathematicians, physicists, or rocket scientists... Development of language being the key, so I think you are on the right track.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I think it has always been around, but just not often diagnosed, most kids eventually growing to be almost normal, then becoming engineers, mathematicians, physicists, or rocket scientists... Development of language being the key, so I think you are on the right track.

This, exactly. It's more recognized now, and it's understood not to be just one blanket diagnosis - hence the 'spectrum'.

My former manager is a high functioning autistic. He's completely conversational and seems "normal" socially (aside from being a bit of a sci fi geek like me), but where numbers or software are concerned he's downright scary.

Give him an unfamiliar piece of software and he'll not only learn how to use it, he'll also find every bug and flaw in the code and be able to send a detailed diagnosis to the developers.

Show him a typeface and he'll be able to identify the font 90% of the time by looking at it, if it's one he's ever used (we're graphic designers, so that's a lot of fonts). He can also estimate an angle by looking at it, usually within 1° of being correct.

And he told me once that when he's doing math in his head (which he's able to do with very complicated problems) he can actually see the numbers floating around him in a way that helps him solve the equation. Apparently it's different from writing it down, because the numbers he sees move and morph into each other to find the solution. He was surprised to learn that's not something that everyone else sees.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    My pajamapants have a tramp stamp

View attachment 367804

…but not gonna lie, they’re pretty comfortable :laughing:
    I've knows some girls like that. Tramp stamp and pretty comfortable.

In a guy's case.....

Only a tramp stamp if it shows around your ankles as your bent over.

I'll just take your word for it one way or the other.

Ummm, why is this in the living with the inlaws thread. Lol

Top Bottom