• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wegriffin8642

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Houston
    Has anyone had any problems associated with Houston shooting ranges? I'm not suggesting any "flogging or slogging" here, just wanted to get a few stories---mostly for the forum supporters to key in on. Case in point----a few weeks ago, I had gone to Carter's and was sighting in a new rifle...wife bought it there for me as a birthday gift. The guys (3 sharing an AR-15) next to me would occasionally double tap their rifle. During a break in shooting, one of the workers came down the row and stated that double taps were not permitted. A while later, after repeating his statement a few more times, the 3 guys fired about 5 rounds rapidly, loaded up their gear, and left. During the next break, the worker came to me and told me that I had to leave for rapid firing my weapon. I loaded up my gear, left the rifle open (according to the rules) and went inside to complain. The young lady behind the counter called one of the older workers over to take my complaint. The older guy looked at me and my rifle, and said, "You've go to be sh---ting me." He strongly apologized, called in the outside worker, and suggested that he had me pegged wrong. The outside worker said that the rapid firing was coming from my end of the range, and that rapid firing was against the rules, and he refused to apologize or acknowledge his mistake. I assured the older guy that there were no hard feelings, picked up my stuff, and left. And I do not hold any grudges...me and my new Ruger 1 will find another range to shoot at....
    Target Sports

Alphonse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Spring, Texas
    Has anyone had any problems associated with Houston shooting ranges? I'm not suggesting any "flogging or slogging" here, just wanted to get a few stories---mostly for the forum supporters to key in on. Case in point----a few weeks ago, I had gone to Carter's and was sighting in a new rifle...wife bought it there for me as a birthday gift. The guys (3 sharing an AR-15) next to me would occasionally double tap their rifle. During a break in shooting, one of the workers came down the row and stated that double taps were not permitted. A while later, after repeating his statement a few more times, the 3 guys fired about 5 rounds rapidly, loaded up their gear, and left. During the next break, the worker came to me and told me that I had to leave for rapid firing my weapon. I loaded up my gear, left the rifle open (according to the rules) and went inside to complain. The young lady behind the counter called one of the older workers over to take my complaint. The older guy looked at me and my rifle, and said, "You've go to be sh---ting me." He strongly apologized, called in the outside worker, and suggested that he had me pegged wrong. The outside worker said that the rapid firing was coming from my end of the range, and that rapid firing was against the rules, and he refused to apologize or acknowledge his mistake. I assured the older guy that there were no hard feelings, picked up my stuff, and left. And I do not hold any grudges...me and my new Ruger 1 will find another range to shoot at....

Instructions please, for those of us new to this forum----How do you go about rapid firing a Ruger 1?? I have 2 of these fine rifles, and hunt frequently. There have been occasions when I would have liked to get a second shot before the fur ran away with the meat.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Instructions please, for those of us new to this forum----How do you go about rapid firing a Ruger 1?? I have 2 of these fine rifles, and hunt frequently. There have been occasions when I would have liked to get a second shot before the fur ran away with the meat.

That's the whole point of the story.........can't rapid fire Ruger 1 so it couldn't have been him but the range worker called him out without even looking at his weapon......or maybe just didn't have enough sense to know it was single shot.

Okie556

wegriffin8642

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Houston
    A follow up to my original p[ost. I tried the Memorial Shooting range today...no problems with the range or personnel, but the traffic is horrible about noon time. How many indoor ranges does the Houston area have?

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    AAC sucks.

Thats why I shoot at the Impact Zone.

That's why I am a member at the Impact Zone

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Brothers, its just the old ten percent rule in action. Possibly at some ranges ten percent of the range people don't know their hineys from a hole in the ground. And
    perhaps ten percent of range shooters who have never hunted, never lived in a rural area and lived all their lives in the city pull some of the dumb stunts at ranges.

Like in the USMC says, ten percent never get the "word"...

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Another thumbs up for Impact Zone. Phil Oxley runs a first class place that allows automatic fire and movement so long as you have proven to be safe.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    The two I've been to lately are Shiloh and Hot Wells. The Shiloh folks are great - the only gripe I have is that the firing line could use a little better lighting, at least in the back lanes. Maybe it's just old eyes. :p

I've only been to Hot Wells once, and the only thing there is they call cease fire in 1-hour intervals. I know folks hate standing around during a CF, and they put up two targets each time, but if you're trying to sight in or are just shooting a lot of rounds, the targets are pretty tore up by the time they replace them.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I shoot and am a member of American Shooting Center in West Houston area. They only allow double taps and no rapid fire which I am OK with. I am overly impressed with the supervision by Range Officers.

I have only shot once at the Carter's facility at a Beretta demo day and have no memory of anything bad except I that it seemed a little lax in supervision.

I have shot a couple of times at Memorial Shooting Centers but it was a few years ago when I was getting my CHL. I have a friend that lives near there and shoots there regularly. He told me that they have no policy against rapid fire. He also said that the last time he was there he got up and left as the rapid fire by some individuals was making him feel unsafe. He said shots were flying everywhere. He complained to mgt which appeared to him not to care that much. He doesn't shoot there anymore.

Bottom line is safety and supervision when rapid fire, double taps is allowed is a must. Many of us experienced shooters can effectively shoot fast, etc but there are many (sideways holdin' guns type, etc) that can't.

2Shots1Wound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Can someone please explain why double taps are some kind of problem for these places? I really don't see why this is a safety concern unless you're a complete idiot\spaz and lose control of your weapon somehow. Then again what do I know.....

shilohshooters

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    north houston
    Shiloh allows rapid fire. As to why many places do not, consider this: If you can responsibly rapid fire without shootin' up the ceiling, there are 15 others that cannot do that. Also, each of those people that can't do that ALL think that they can and do not listen when told otherwise...Get's to be frustrating.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    New lights going in the long range tomorrow, sure to brighten things up. +all Shiloh employees on Impact Zone. That's where we like to shoot on off days.

This is why I like going to Shiloh. They hear about an issue, they take care of said issue.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    Feedback helps alot. We cant fix something if we dont know it's broken. It also helps if you've got a good idea. We're always trying to improve and serve our customers better.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Shiloh allows rapid fire. As to why many places do not, consider this: If you can responsibly rapid fire without shootin' up the ceiling, there are 15 others that cannot do that. Also, each of those people that can't do that ALL think that they can and do not listen when told otherwise...Get's to be frustrating.

Exactly. I have been to several public ranges and been scared of the guy next to me on more than one occasion. Because there is no way for a range owner to be able to judge the shooting prowess of his customers at the cash register, you have to have some kind of rules. If you shoot enough, you see some weird s**t

Top Bottom