• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The no double tap rule is good in many cases. Where I live there is an indoor 18 yd. (Yeah, I know it's really small, owner is a great guy). Our local 50yd indoor range went under.
    The ceiling is covered in bullet holes. The side walls are also well scathed. I realize that practice makes perfect, but when you can't control your firearm at all you may want to start small and work your way up, caliber wise, not as in shooting the ceiling or light fixtures.

Yep, those are all rapid fire, new shooter, and poor trigger control holes.

Our 100-Yard range is covered in bullet strikes. Granted, beyond 40 yards, the pistol rounds have a habit of skipping into the ceiling.
    Military Camp

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    You sure it isn't they, "where is the safety on my brand new Glock?. . . .I mean, I don't remember how many rounds I loaded into this thing. Maybe if I tilt the gun up to have a better loBOOM!!!! . . . shit. . . . . ok, I had at least one left. . . ."

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    My 13 year old son, was pointing out all the bullet holes just 2 feet or less in front of us in the ceiling. We are by far not the best shots out there, but my boy can keep my Glock 23 on target on a B27 out to 10 yards. A guy in the next lane shot the target holder off the return cable as we were reloading. During his session, he must have hit the ceiling 5 to 7 times. I am glad that there are many new shooters and owners in this sport. Proper gun handling should be a priority to learn.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I tried going there a couple of weeks ago. The sign said they opened at 10 on saturdays, but I got tired of waiting at 10:15. Do you know if they're still in business?

Yes they are still in business. I just called them this past Sunday. I think they usually close at 7:00pm, but the guy who answered said, he was leaving at 5:00pm. I like this place because it's close to my house and i've never had any problems there.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Yes they are still in business. I just called them this past Sunday. I think they usually close at 7:00pm, but the guy who answered said, he was leaving at 5:00pm. I like this place because it's close to my house and i've never had any problems there.
    Hmm well they are the closest range to me. I didn't even know about them till this month.

c0rey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    houston
    this is also the closest place to my house and i have been there quite a few times and never had a problem or seen anything abnormal

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I go to American Shooting Center quite a bit. They have a lot of people, most of them just bought a new gun and are trying it for the first time. The range officers are always helpful, and err on the side of safety. No double taps, no rapid fire, thats the rule. I say, no problem! With 50 stations, it is too much range for people to be rapid firing anyway.

You know where to go to do the type of shooting you like to do. Don't expect every place to cater to your needs. Safety is the overriding concern at all of these places, because the amount of idiots exceeds the responsible shooters by a wide margin. If you witnessed the amount of rampant stupidity these guys see daily, you would become calloused too. Unfortunately there is no reliable barometer to gauge who is responsible and who is not. Because of that, everyone must be treated harshly. Sometimes mistakes are made, it is the nature of dealing with potentially deadly weapons.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I went back on saturday. They were indeed open. The guy behind the counter was real laid back and personable. I'll definitely be going back.

Thanks for the update. I've been tring to go over to Marksman Indoor Range in South Houston, but just haven't been able to get away.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Sometimes mistakes are made, it is the nature of dealing with potentially deadly weapons.

Exactly right; these aren't bowling alleys - stupid mistakes can hurt or kill someone. Can you imagine what kind of legal mess it would be for the range if something were to happen? Even if there are no criminal charges, you just know that someone will want to take the business to court for "negligence" or some such thing - it would probably put some ranges out of business just from the legal costs.

blackdragon1212

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Conroe, TX
    I think the greatest problem with many ranges, indoor or out, has to do with several factors. The first being the design of the range from the beginning. Most ranges are not designed for any level of combat practice. They are designed for target shooting, and this works very nicely because most of the people think there is no difference. Unfortunately, that includes the range owners in most cases.

The best ranges I have attended had the typical ranges(target oriented)and a tactical range. On these ranges, these areas are broken down into several areas. You will always have a safety officer in the area, and you will file a plan before you are allowed to use the range. In other words, it is like a flight plan you would file with FAA before you take off. This would be reviewed, to see if it fits within the parameters of the range design/safety rules.

The second most common problem is the lack of knowledge in the different areas of shooting. I know that there are very few people who know everything about firearms, but I know that there are range people who are specialized by discipline. I should be able to go into a range and ask for someone who could assist me with combat, slow fire, or whatever.

The third on the list is the fact that very few ranges will take a person through a basic firearm safety course! This will do two things, one assist to give that new shooter a better foundation, giving them a realistic idea of where they are. Secondly, it will give the range personal an idea of how sound the weapon being fired is. Sometimes it is more than the shooter who is not fit to be around other people when shooting, sometimes it is the weapon itself.

Top Bottom