• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Exactly. I have been to several public ranges and been scared of the guy next to me on more than one occasion. Because there is no way for a range owner to be able to judge the shooting prowess of his customers at the cash register, you have to have some kind of rules. If you shoot enough, you see some weird s**t

+1

wegriffin8642

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Houston
    "...If you shoot enough, you see some weird s**t..."
    A few weeks ago, a buddy from the Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept. and I shot at Leger's just west of Beaumont on Hwy. 90. It was late in the evening and we kept seeing "something" moving behind the target mound on occasion. Turns out it was a "locally known" derelict just wandering around back there drunk. I know it's not Houston related, but THAT was scary.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Can someone please explain why double taps are some kind of problem for these places? I really don't see why this is a safety concern unless you're a complete idiot\spaz and lose control of your weapon somehow. Then again what do I know.....

It's because 90% of the people that go to public gun ranges cannot control the firearm properly while firing rapidly.

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    It's because 90% of the people that go to public gun ranges cannot control the firearm properly while firing rapidly.

I agree that 90% of the population can't rapid fire and keep control. I have seen and yelled at my share of unsafe range freaks. But if double taps aren't allowed (not something that I consider successive rapid fire), what is the point of defensive practice?

sean gaines

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    katy, Texas
    Impact zone is where I practice, you can pretty much do anything within reason, you get your own bay to practice. you can draw, run and shoot, shoot fast etc

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    Exactly. I have been to several public ranges and been scared of the guy next to me on more than one occasion. Because there is no way for a range owner to be able to judge the shooting prowess of his customers at the cash register, you have to have some kind of rules. If you shoot enough, you see some weird s**t
    x2. i, along with jeff and mate spend a great deal of our time at the range. you end up seeing some crazy shit. but every range has rules because some dumbass before you screwed shit up. for some people, the range is more then just a place to shoot, for us its more then just a job, thats what we do, its our second home. hell, some of us are even there on our days off! im not going to tolerate some guy coming in and tearing up my home because he feels like just because he's been shooting for 30 or so years, he doesnt have to listen or abide by our rules.

one of the things i love about our range is that a lot of people come and just hang out, they dont even shoot.. they just sit, hang out, bullshit, and enjoy their time away from home/work. its never a dull day at shiloh.

+294383829 for impact zone, phil is a good guy, just dont mention MB to him lozl. but im always there on my days off and for those who are not a member but are regulars at shiloh, if you guys ever want to check the place out, let us know.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Just like to add the kids are rarely the problem, for us it's generally the 40+ crowd that doesn't want to listen to a "kid" because he's been "shooting for 30 years". They don't listen and get argumentative when you ask them to watch their muzzle and trigger discipline. Then they throw big baby fits when you tell them to pack it up.

I can't wait for deer season to kick back in ... we get truckloads of once-a-year shooters with scoped rifles that do more damage to their faces than the paper and will burn through 2 boxes of .270 before they figure out that they are adjusting the wrong knob, or that 1/4" MOA adjustments don't move much, etc. It's non-stop hilarity. The good ones ask questions, the dumb ones don't ... and they do the above.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Hell, going to Hotwells or American for the month or so prior to deer season is a must for the humor factor. I actually like it better than the State Fair for the idiot factor. Too bad they dont serve beer to the non-shooting persons because it would be better than any comedy club. Similar to a public boat ramp.....

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Hell, going to Hotwells or American for the month or so prior to deer season is a must for the humor factor. I actually like it better than the State Fair for the idiot factor. Too bad they dont serve beer to the non-shooting persons because it would be better than any comedy club. Similar to a public boat ramp.....

HAHA yep public boat ramps. I could fill a whole 2 hour comedy dvd by just sitting at a public boat ramp for a day.

Texas_Archer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Ive left Hotwells pistol range multiple times b/c of crazy people and guns. These people have the right to own guns, but Im going to excersice my right to not be around them while they are shooting them.

Ive also be kicked off Hotwells pistol range for "double tapping" by the range boy (he c/t have been older than 16). When I explained that I was practicing my drills for my upcoming CHL class for when you have to fire two rounds rather fast and that I was taking my CHL class at Hotwells he didn't care. That Saturday I went to the range for the CHL class and fired exactly like the instructer said, which was a double tap basically, and no one complained then.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Ive left Hotwells pistol range multiple times b/c of crazy people and guns. These people have the right to own guns, but Im going to excersice my right to not be around them while they are shooting them.

Ive also be kicked off Hotwells pistol range for "double tapping" by the range boy (he c/t have been older than 16). When I explained that I was practicing my drills for my upcoming CHL class for when you have to fire two rounds rather fast and that I was taking my CHL class at Hotwells he didn't care. That Saturday I went to the range for the CHL class and fired exactly like the instructer said, which was a double tap basically, and no one complained then.

Two rounds in four seconds is not a double tap, nor is it "rather fast". It is a ridiculously long amount of time, as is all of the CHL exam.

Ranges have rules because people destroy the equipment. Rules are rules regardless of your reason.

Being in class with an instructor is always an exception.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Two rounds in four seconds is not a double tap, nor is it "rather fast". It is a ridiculously long amount of time, as is all of the CHL exam.

Ranges have rules because people destroy the equipment. Rules are rules regardless of your reason.

Being in class with an instructor is always an exception.
    But it is fun to tear up other people's stuff.

It isn't like wood is expensive. . . .

I was at the range, and I saw a new shooter shoot the target off the stand (there is there wooden latches that keep the paper targets on the board)

Guy shot his off. They called a ceasefire and put it back up. The next magazine and he did the same thing.

You have to be over a yard off your mark. Don't remember if it was 7 or 15 yards.

Maxpower

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    I have had zero problems with double taps or rapid fire through two 16 round mags at Top Gun

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    What? No one is going to mention Clear Creek Gun Range? (or A&R as the sign says)

I will not bash on the people there or the facilities. Here you can read some experiences yourself. Clear Creek Gun Range, League City, TX : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

If you make it the guy who posted as "The Badguy" thats me. I gave them good marks only because I have never had a problem there. I have seen Al Trug go ballistic, but never in my direction.

Marksman gun range in South Houston is one of my favorite indoor ranges. Haven't been in a while and hate going at night.

Pasadena gun center is another good one although it does seem like a dungeon in the shooting area and really dark in the lanes even with the light installed. Oh, and don't smoke in the shooting area. Thats a no no.

There is one off of FM 2351 tucked away that I liked. in the day time it is lit very well because they have sky lights over the lanes. Anyone know the name I am talking about?

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Spend an hour at Carter's Country and you'll see a dozen people (or more) do things that will scare the crap out of you. AND you'll hear the range officers go after someone who fires more than one double tap while ignoring the idiots pointing guns along the firing line and such.

On one hand, I can defend Carter's for trying to keep a tight rein on things because they do get a lot of 1st time gun buyers. On the other hand, they do nothing to try to really guide or supervise those individuals and thus contribute to their problem.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Spend an hour at Carter's Country and you'll see a dozen people (or more) do things that will scare the crap out of you. AND you'll hear the range officers go after someone who fires more than one double tap while ignoring the idiots pointing guns along the firing line and such.

On one hand, I can defend Carter's for trying to keep a tight rein on things because they do get a lot of 1st time gun buyers. On the other hand, they do nothing to try to really guide or supervise those individuals and thus contribute to their problem.

I do the majority of my shooting at Carter's because it is the closest range to me, but the last two times I was there (during the Christmas Holiday time) I had people shooting at my targets.....had to ask them to stop. They had not even put any targets up yet, just started shooting at my empty targets....

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    What? No one is going to mention Clear Creek Gun Range? (or A&R as the sign says)

I will not bash on the people there or the facilities. Here you can read some experiences yourself. Clear Creek Gun Range, League City, TX : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

If you make it the guy who posted as "The Badguy" thats me. I gave them good marks only because I have never had a problem there. I have seen Al Trug go ballistic, but never in my direction.

I've seen some real idiots there - the last time I was there, the same people kept approaching the firing line after being told not to (in addition to the general cease fire announcement - three or four times). And a couple of geniuses decided to sneak around the side and hang their targets during live fire.

I've only had one interaction with Al Trug, but it wasn't bad. I'd walked in the main building with my Glock case closed and the gun locked open sitting on top of it. He walked by, stopped, and asked "You don't have any guns in that case, do you?" I answered "No sir just magazines". He said "okay" and went on his way. I've never seen them yell at anyone who didn't have it coming (IMO yelling at someone back away from the firing line during a cease fire is good cause to yell, if only to get their immediate attention). I don't recall them using profanity in that way at all. I definitely don't go there all the time (once a month or two, more during the holidays when I'm in the neighborhood), so don't regard me as some expert on them.

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    The no double tap rule is good in many cases. Where I live there is an indoor 18 yd. (Yeah, I know it's really small, owner is a great guy). Our local 50yd indoor range went under.
    The ceiling is covered in bullet holes. The side walls are also well scathed. I realize that practice makes perfect, but when you can't control your firearm at all you may want to start small and work your way up, caliber wise, not as in shooting the ceiling or light fixtures.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom