Join TexasGunTalk

Problems with Houston Shooting Ranges

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by wegriffin8642, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    +1

2. wegriffin8642

wegriffin8642 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Houston
    "...If you shoot enough, you see some weird s**t..."
    A few weeks ago, a buddy from the Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept. and I shot at Leger's just west of Beaumont on Hwy. 90. It was late in the evening and we kept seeing "something" moving behind the target mound on occasion. Turns out it was a "locally known" derelict just wandering around back there drunk. I know it's not Houston related, but THAT was scary.

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's because 90% of the people that go to public gun ranges cannot control the firearm properly while firing rapidly.

4. Libertarian_Longhorn

Libertarian_Longhorn Active Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I agree that 90% of the population can't rapid fire and keep control. I have seen and yelled at my share of unsafe range freaks. But if double taps aren't allowed (not something that I consider successive rapid fire), what is the point of defensive practice?

5. sean gaines

sean gaines New Member BANNED!!!

Sep 22, 2009
    katy, Texas
    Impact zone is where I practice, you can pretty much do anything within reason, you get your own bay to practice. you can draw, run and shoot, shoot fast etc

6. landin18

landin18 Member

i will be going to impact zone tomorrow, i got to see this place for myself.

7. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    x2. i, along with jeff and mate spend a great deal of our time at the range. you end up seeing some crazy shit. but every range has rules because some dumbass before you screwed shit up. for some people, the range is more then just a place to shoot, for us its more then just a job, thats what we do, its our second home. hell, some of us are even there on our days off! im not going to tolerate some guy coming in and tearing up my home because he feels like just because he's been shooting for 30 or so years, he doesnt have to listen or abide by our rules.

one of the things i love about our range is that a lot of people come and just hang out, they dont even shoot.. they just sit, hang out, bullshit, and enjoy their time away from home/work. its never a dull day at shiloh.

+294383829 for impact zone, phil is a good guy, just dont mention MB to him lozl. but im always there on my days off and for those who are not a member but are regulars at shiloh, if you guys ever want to check the place out, let us know.

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Just like to add the kids are rarely the problem, for us it's generally the 40+ crowd that doesn't want to listen to a "kid" because he's been "shooting for 30 years". They don't listen and get argumentative when you ask them to watch their muzzle and trigger discipline. Then they throw big baby fits when you tell them to pack it up.

I can't wait for deer season to kick back in ... we get truckloads of once-a-year shooters with scoped rifles that do more damage to their faces than the paper and will burn through 2 boxes of .270 before they figure out that they are adjusting the wrong knob, or that 1/4" MOA adjustments don't move much, etc. It's non-stop hilarity. The good ones ask questions, the dumb ones don't ... and they do the above.

9. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Hell, going to Hotwells or American for the month or so prior to deer season is a must for the humor factor. I actually like it better than the State Fair for the idiot factor. Too bad they dont serve beer to the non-shooting persons because it would be better than any comedy club. Similar to a public boat ramp.....

10. Libertarian_Longhorn

Libertarian_Longhorn Active Member

Apr 28, 2009

HAHA yep public boat ramps. I could fill a whole 2 hour comedy dvd by just sitting at a public boat ramp for a day.