Join TexasGunTalk

Problems with Houston Shooting Ranges

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by wegriffin8642, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Greg_TX

Greg_TX Well-Known

Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    The two I've been to lately are Shiloh and Hot Wells. The Shiloh folks are great - the only gripe I have is that the firing line could use a little better lighting, at least in the back lanes. Maybe it's just old eyes. :p

I've only been to Hot Wells once, and the only thing there is they call cease fire in 1-hour intervals. I know folks hate standing around during a CF, and they put up two targets each time, but if you're trying to sight in or are just shooting a lot of rounds, the targets are pretty tore up by the time they replace them.

2. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

I think someone else mentioned that, either on the forum or to me in person, an early 20-something year old.

3. shilohshooters

shilohshooters Active Member

Mar 29, 2008
    north houston
    New lights going in the long range tomorrow, sure to brighten things up. +all Shiloh employees on Impact Zone. That's where we like to shoot on off days.

4. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Exactly

5. smschulz

smschulz Paid for CUT TGT Supporter

Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I shoot and am a member of American Shooting Center in West Houston area. They only allow double taps and no rapid fire which I am OK with. I am overly impressed with the supervision by Range Officers.

I have only shot once at the Carter's facility at a Beretta demo day and have no memory of anything bad except I that it seemed a little lax in supervision.

I have shot a couple of times at Memorial Shooting Centers but it was a few years ago when I was getting my CHL. I have a friend that lives near there and shoots there regularly. He told me that they have no policy against rapid fire. He also said that the last time he was there he got up and left as the rapid fire by some individuals was making him feel unsafe. He said shots were flying everywhere. He complained to mgt which appeared to him not to care that much. He doesn't shoot there anymore.

Bottom line is safety and supervision when rapid fire, double taps is allowed is a must. Many of us experienced shooters can effectively shoot fast, etc but there are many (sideways holdin' guns type, etc) that can't.

6. 2Shots1Wound

2Shots1Wound Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Can someone please explain why double taps are some kind of problem for these places? I really don't see why this is a safety concern unless you're a complete idiot\spaz and lose control of your weapon somehow. Then again what do I know.....

7. shilohshooters

shilohshooters Active Member

Mar 29, 2008
    north houston
    Shiloh allows rapid fire. As to why many places do not, consider this: If you can responsibly rapid fire without shootin' up the ceiling, there are 15 others that cannot do that. Also, each of those people that can't do that ALL think that they can and do not listen when told otherwise...Get's to be frustrating.

8. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    This is why I like going to Shiloh. They hear about an issue, they take care of said issue.

9. Mate

Mate Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    Feedback helps alot. We cant fix something if we dont know it's broken. It also helps if you've got a good idea. We're always trying to improve and serve our customers better.

10. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Exactly. I have been to several public ranges and been scared of the guy next to me on more than one occasion. Because there is no way for a range owner to be able to judge the shooting prowess of his customers at the cash register, you have to have some kind of rules. If you shoot enough, you see some weird s**t