Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've been asked to recommend an instructor for one-on-one training in the DFW area. I'm in Spring and as much as I prefer one-on-one instruction, I can't drive to DFW to help this person. Nor do I have contacts in that area I can immediately recommend.

The subject is someone who has carried off and on for years, legally, yet somehow seems completely unable to grasp basic concepts. She tends to run in Condition White, is afraid of Glocks because they have "no safety", and generally freezes up at the whole notion of having to defend herself by overthinking everything for way, way too long. She's been to multiple classes yet many basic concepts and mindsets have just failed to coalesce in her.

Don't get me wrong. She's a smart woman with multiple college degrees, up to and including a PhD. However, she also has 30 years of bad habits and tenacious holes in her knowledge to which she seems inexplicably blind.

She really needs a knowledgeable, patient friend to shoot with, the type of friend who can ease her out of her ignorance. That's not available. Therefore, paying an instructor to take on that role seems to be the only option left to her.

Two questions -
    • Can anyone recommend a DFW-area instructor to take on a case like this?
    • For general discussion, how have you dealt with students like this when you've run across them? (Note: This question is the one that makes this post on-topic for this forum. I realize I've stretched the purpose of this forum with this situation but perhaps it can also be discussed in more general terms. I know my first instinct was "This person shouldn't be carrying at all" but that's not helpful; she does carry and will continue to do so.)
    TIA for any help.

PS - Yes, I know I could use a search engine to find multiple instructors who advertise private lessons. However, none of those ads address the primary need in this case, i.e. the ability to be patient, not get frustrated, and build up from first principles with a problematic student. I'm looking for recommendations for instructors you know to possess that set of skills rather than merely running through a checklist as a part of a canned lesson plan.
    Gun Zone Deals

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Ben, first off, PM me. I have a "maybe" idea for you that will need some discussion.

Secondly, I'll need to do quite a bit of digging but, I might have a name for you. This one has been over a decade and three or four phones ago, so...

What area of D/FW? As it seems to expand on a daily basis now?

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    In my experience, there are some people who you can't throw money at a trainer to fix the issue, no matter for how long or how good the instructor is.
    Fear isn't something that can be trained out.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Preston Hollow neighborhood in north Dallas -- waste of time and $. Snowflakes won't learn. Doesn't make any difference how many degrees they have.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Northeast of DFW they might try Kimberly Dillard (kdillard4d@yahoo.com) at First Steps 4 Defense. She's a police officer and does training as a side job on her land.
    Essentially all the advertising she does is for LTC classes. Do you know for a fact that she's willing to do student-adapted private lessons? I mean the question as no slam on her; I'm sure she's wonderful at what she does. But most instructors probably wouldn't want to take on a student such as I've described, so I'm wondering where you got the idea to mention her.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Jeff Kranz at kranzftg.com will diagnose and work with the student on specific concerns. Both he and Shawn Casey are exceptional instructors.
    Got one lined out for you....competitive shooter, instructor....oh - an' she's Past President of TSRA......

:loaded:
    I'm grateful to both of you.
    Made a few calls, with a couple more to go next week.

Nothing positive yet.
    I really appreciate your efforts but I think I've got enough options for this lady already. Today was very productive on multiple fronts.

However, if you come up with someone you think would be perfect, please PM me. Adding another name to the list is never a bad thing.

Top Bottom