Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Thanks for the info
    I hope you paid attention to the
    Bayou Rifles will be taking new members starting April 3rd. Last year they filled 250 slots in less than 30 minutes.
    part. When the time comes on April 3, you had better be sitting at your computer, hitting refresh every few seconds. Then, when you get in, fill out the application quickly.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    I hope you paid attention to the part. When the time comes on April 3, you had better be sitting at your computer, hitting refresh every few seconds. Then, when you get in, fill out the application quickly.
    Sir yes sir...reminder has been set, I will be there. The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of info regarding the pistol range. Such as, holster draw ok? They describe a "shortwork" range on the website so I assume that sort of thing is approved, but I'm not sure...

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Club/range rules are here: Range Rules 2016

Specifically, rule 03-C states:
    "Wearing a visible holstered firearm (open carry) is prohibited at all ranges at all times,except for on-duty Law Enforcement Officers in uniform."

Also, Rule 03-D:
    "Members or guests with a License to Carry (LTC) may carry concealed handguns in a

manner consistent with Texas Regulations. However, drawing and firing from a holster
    is prohibited. LTC holders are not allowed to carry on their person, either open or
    concealed, during participation in scheduled matches."

Edit to add: they are building brand-new pistol bays separated with concrete walls down at the Juliff range. Once these are in place they will probably amend the rules to allow more holster-related activities such as IDPA-styled events, but not 100% sure about that.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Such as, holster draw ok?
    The rule is quoted above but at orientation they're liable to be a tad more direct. At mine, I believe the club president's exact words were "Don't even think about setting foot on club property wearing a visible holster."

I've said it multiple times on this board but it bears repeating - while the club is evolving slowly and can more or less meet most needs of most shooters, the soul of the place is formal, 1950s-NRA-style target shooting. Those events may no longer be the majority of what happens on their ranges but they are still the heart of the club.

It's no longer a "Fudd" holdout, certainly. Witness how much Allen gets to shoot at steel. But I doubt I'll live to see it referred to as a "tactical" haven, either. :)

Last edited:

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    It's on the list in the first post and both ranges (Juliff and Addicks) are listed on the interactive Google Map (also linked in the first post).

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It's on the list in the first post and both ranges (Juliff and Addicks) are listed on the interactive Google Map (also linked in the first post).
    I just wanted to make sure peeps hadn't overlooked that thread. Who knows? There might be another facility that he'd prefer.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Thanks, it appealed due to proximity. I do like the price...not sure of the policies now that y'all have linked and described though.

However, more frequent range time isn't a bad thing, regardless of what style it is...

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Received an update email from BRI concerning the improvements going on at the Juliff range. This part that applies to this thread...

"Once the ranges are completed, new range usage rules for the five new pistol bays will be published to all members."

Once I get the updated rules I'll post the pertinent parts here as well.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...more frequent range time isn't a bad thing...
    Uh, I'm hoping to avoid more disappointment on your part. Nevertheless, I have to ask. Which of the two BRI ranges is the one close to you and what hours did you want to shoot?

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Uh, I'm hoping to avoid more disappointment on your part. Nevertheless, I have to ask. Which of the two BRI ranges is the one close to you and what hours did you want to shoot?
    Closer to Addicks, and I realize the hours are dependent upon RSO availability. It's still likely I will be able to shoot more there versus randomly several times throughout the year :-D plus, you get access to both with one membership yes? If so, there's always a special trip to Juliff.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Yes, you get access to both ranges.

Ben's point was more to the fact that the Addicks range is only open on weekends while Juliff is open every day. Addicts is closest to me but I only shoot on weekends anyway, so it works out for me.

On some occasions there may be an RSO that opens the Addicks range in the middle of the week but there's no way to know if the range is open short of showing up to see if the gate is "RSO on duty" locked or "closed for business" locked up.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Yes, you get access to both ranges.

Ben's point was more to the fact that the Addicks range is only open on weekends while Juliff is open every day. Addicts is closest to me but I only shoot on weekends anyway, so it works out for me.

On some occasions there may be an RSO that opens the Addicks range in the middle of the week but there's no way to know if the range is open short of showing up to see if the gate is "RSO on duty" locked or "closed for business" locked up.
    Yea, I think that would be fine for me too!

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.

I thought that Monday thru noon on Friday (excluding LEO practice on Tuesday's) was RSO's and their immediate guests only. No?

festering

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    sw houston
    They have RSO classes once or twice a year. They are free to members. Then work 4 four or five hour shifts at either range and you can shoot at Addicks anytime from sunrise to sunset except the Tuesdays the police use the range.

Top Bottom