• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Makinghole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Houston
    Can anyone point me to a private outdoor range in Houston. The only one I have found is Bayou Rifles and they are not accepting members right now. Thanks for the help
    Guns International

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Try gun clubs, not ranges. That's not to say they exist inside the Houston area, I'm not sure of that. There is ableammo.com in Huntsville but I just tried the site and it didn't load so I'm not sure what's going on. The company has been around for years but the new location is @ 1 year old.

For 'private' shoot me a PM if you're interested in one N. of Huntsville.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Psc has a 3 yr waiting list last i heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just heard about their 3+ year waiting list, the other day. I knew someone at work that is a member, and it always seemed like it was easy to get in. My, how things have changed.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Are those the only options? Seems like a big demand and small supply.

I think there may be one off of Hwy 521 (Almeda rd.), just south of Hwy 6. I don't remember the name, but I saw a sign a few times, I went down that direction. I'll see if I can gt someone from work (that drives by there) to check it out. The other problem may be that it's a public, not a private gun range/club.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Bayou Rifles, PSC, the Impact Zone, and Greenwood (down in Brazoria) are the ones I'm aware of. PSC and Bayou have a long waiting list. Impact Zone is selective about new members you'll need to start going out there to matches and get to know the owner if you want to join. I'm not sure about Greenwood's current membership situation but it's a ways south of town. There's also a few private shotgun only clubs.

Makinghole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Houston
    Bayou Rifles emailed me to join. I will be out of town for the orientation date and they only hold one a year. Could not work anything out, the reply was pretty much better luck next year.

TexasCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Houston area
    Get on the waiting list for PSC. It doesn't cost anything to get in the list. When I signed up a couple of years ago, they had just halted new memberships. They took a couple of years to sort some things out & make some improvements/expansions. Late last year, they opened up new memberships for a few months. I got an email about it during that time & have been a member since then. It's a great range. You can also enter any of the various matches if you'd like to try before you buy - the matches are open to the public.

Current memberships are being renewed right now. So they'll open up again for new memberships in late summer / early fall. PSC is an NRA-only club, so you might want to sign up for that if you're not already an NRA member. Your NRA membership will have to be valid through the following June for your membership to be approved.

Sent from my GS 3 using Tapatalk 2

Makinghole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Houston
    I signed up for the PSC wait list a few months ago. Went ahead and did a Lifetime NRA membership after seeing they were NRA only.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I think there may be one off of Hwy 521 (Almeda rd.), just south of Hwy 6. I don't remember the name, but I saw a sign a few times, I went down that direction. I'll see if I can gt someone from work (that drives by there) to check it out. The other problem may be that it's a public, not a private gun range/club.

That's Bayou Rifles.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Nicest small rifle range I know of (for a variety of reasons; they're not lavish but what they do, they do competently with good people) is the Tomball Gun Club. They had a 5-year wait list long before the current tidal wave of demand. Even though I live fairly close and would use the place regularly, I never bothered to try to get in. Last I checked into it, you needed a reference from a current member just to get on the wait list. That's been a long while ago, though. Still, I can't imagine things have gotten any easier.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Nicest small rifle range I know of (for a variety of reasons; they're not lavish but what they do, they do competently with good people) is the Tomball Gun Club. They had a 5-year wait list long before the current tidal wave of demand. Even though I live fairly close and would use the place regularly, I never bothered to try to get in. Last I checked into it, you needed a reference from a current member just to get on the wait list. That's been a long while ago, though. Still, I can't imagine things have gotten any easier.

Necropost!

For what it's worth, a new member must be sponsored by no less than 2 current members. All members must be current NRA members as well. Their website makes no mention of membership pricing or a waiting list. Their weekend matches are open to the public.

Doubtful, but any other status updates on private ranges?

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Bayou Rifles emailed me to join. I will be out of town for the orientation date and they only hold one a year. Could not work anything out, the reply was pretty much better luck next year.

For clarification:

This may have been true in 2013 but in 2015 they had multiple orientation classes for new members. I'm guessing they will do the same this year.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Bayou Rifles will be taking new members starting April 3rd. Last year they filled 250 slots in less than 30 minutes.

Interested parties should keep an eye on the webpage:

https://www.bayourifles.org
    I would definitely be interested in this! I saw the range last year on Google Maps and was disappointed when I saw the membership was closed on their website. Any idea of the cost?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom