• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    How many of you do this? It looks like this just seats primers below flush. I'm sure there is an advantage for benchrest/long range shooters but I don't shoot beyond 200 yds with any regularity. The pocket uniformers are expensive and out of stock(at least one of them, lg or sm).

I've never experienced a slam fire so I'm not looking for a cure.

Thoughts on this? Thanks.
    Military Camp

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Reloading is not about cranking out cheap ammo, its about making the best you can make. I started when hunting in Africa & carried it over to defensive handgun ammo.
    ^this.

IMHO you may also find it beneficial to deburr the primer flash holes...

I suggest getting one of these and chucking it up in a handheld/cordless drill after adjusting (helps work go quickly without significant increase in risk of screwing it up...):

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’m gonna disagree.

Reloading can easily be about cranking out the cheapest safe ammo you can make. It’s the only reason I bother with some calibers. For others, it’s all about fine tuning and consistency.

Depending on your goal, primer picket uniforming may not be something worth doing. For hunting at 200 yards you will most likely never notice. And you can definitely handload better hunting ammo for less money without going to extremes or taking any special steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SGHinds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    Houston
    I do have primer pocket uniformers for my RCBS case prep center. I generally only use them on more precision rifle rounds ( which I don’t load many at all). For pistols I don’t mess with it. Just vibratory clean then load them.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    There are lots of pro pocket ‘formers on another forum I’m on but when I lived in Dallas I shot with a friend of a friend who grew up in Africa(missionary parents)where they hunted for food every single day and he never mentioned doing it but I never hunted with him either.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Uniforming primer pockets is different from reaming/swaging tight pockets. Uniforming ensures the bottom of the primer pocket is uniform.

I sometimes ream tight primer pockets like this last batch of 357 brass I processed.

I wouldn’t consider primer pocket uniforming personally until I was chasing small bits of improvement in accuracy and I’ve already done things like sorting brass by headstamp, weight and volume.

I’m not good enough to notice a difference and that’s not my goal in reloading. My goal is to make good quality, consistent ammo cheaper than I can buy it. I don’t need to uniform pockets to do that.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Only primer pockets I work on are crimped.
    Swage it and move on. I can think of nothing more tedious and nothing of less measure.

If the flash hole is clear, I'm good.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    Yes, I do it.

I swage as necessary, square pockets, and debur flash holes. I use a RCBS case prep machine, and a Dillon swager.

I speak from authority when I tell you it takes a long damn time to do a five gallon bucket of brass.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I may try this out since I was able to pick up a set of these for $16 shipped from amazon and plan to meet up with Lonesome Dove tomorrow and pick some primers from him!

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I've never had an issue with the primer pocket and have never "reformed" the primer pocket in my 25+ years of hand loading.
    Ditto for me. Although I haven't done a LOT of reloading, I've never felt a need to dress up the primer pocket... but maybe I'm just not that much of a perfectionist.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    For precision stuff I use brass (ie lapua, adg or peterson) that doesn't need to be messed with for the most part. I do use hornady in my 22 creed and the get the flash holes debured and that's it. Nothing else is done to thst end of the case.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom