• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Got the big ass knife that I ordered this weekend in the mail today. Thanks to all in the illegal knife thread for pushing me over the limit to the dark side on this one. Special thanks to Mikewood's one single survival item thread, John Chambers' Pocket Sword thread, and others who got me craving yet another knife.‎

Here is the dilemma I seek input in solving. For a unknown general situation where I can only grab this knife and it's sheath, what items do you all suggest that I place in it's compartments to be the most useful? Kinda like the old Altoids box survival kit type of thing.

It has one main pouch in the front, and a pair of Velcro straps on the front that I will probably use to hold the para-cord. Right now I can easily fit a magnesium firestarter and a water purification pill set in the front pocket, with about 1/3 of the space left.

Items/Things I am thinking about:

Wrist loop in the eyelet on the tang.
    Para-Cord
    Water Purification Tablets
    A small compass.
    Disposable lighter.
    Might be able to fit a Mylar blanket in there.
    Magnesium fire stater
    Cut the magnesium block in half to get more room.
    Small high intensity flashlight.

Interested to hear what you guys have to add to this conversation.

(Disclaimer, I will be aware of, and following the guidelines set forth in Texas penal code 46.15(b) at all times when in possession of this dangerous weapon of mass destruction. )
    PB160130.gif

PB160131.gif
    Texas SOT

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    If your going to pack a knife you might want a way to sharpen it. If your going to Baton thru wood or dig in the dirt a coarse grit stone might serve you better. A tiny cigarette lighter will light many fires if its dry. A match only one each.

What do you have for water storage? How about an unlubricated condom or ziplock freezer bag?
    Ed to say I see you have a piece of hacksaw blade as a scraper. I use a 4" wood sawsall blade I found they are tougher, you can fashion an improvised handle and use them as a hand saw plus they are high carbon steel and will spark chert or flint plus you can sharpen the back side as a second knife edge. Just more of that get the most out of every oz that you pack.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I would put a blade from one of those snap-off utility knives in there. Won't take up much room and you might need to cut something small. Couple zip ties, I have a small spray tube of insect repellent/sunblock in mine.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    @BG. That's a cool idea. I hadn't thought about a snap knife blade with a handle wrapped of many layers of 100 mph tape would work well. You could make a sheath out of tape also.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Wrap the handle of the knife and or the sheath with para cord. This would remove it from the packed area, You can also braid it through your eyelets if you are not thinking to tie down the leg strap. What about snare wire and a wire saw?. I would forgo the full bottle purification tablets for a smaller package of 4 or 6 to make room for other meds like ASA or anti biotic cream.

My 2 cents.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I think one of those survival straws would be a better deal than the tablets.

This topic is interesting. Love the blade, I settled for a legal blade with the Becker Campanion. I have some stuff I carry in a Maxpedition Mongo daily - goin' small never worked for me. 'Course mine morphed into a daily needs/CHL/urban survival bag. And it keeps evolving, but it's rare day when something doesn't come out of that bag when someone needs something. I recently added this ~ KLiK ~ amazing little light that really comes in handy and slips in a pocket beside the knife.

Something else you might look at for ideas : KLiK

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Thanks for the good ideas, and the link.

For those that can't carry this knife. I will not be carrying it either. Any time I have it on me will be under the following conditions.

is on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control

is traveling

is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity

Not sure how this applies...........
    Text of subsec. (i) as added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., ch. 288, § 1 (i) For purposes of Subsection (b)(3), a person is presumed to be traveling if the person is: (1) in a private motor vehicle; (2) not otherwise engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic; (3) not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; (4) not a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01; and (5) not carrying a handgun in plain view.

texasmc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Austin
    Which knife did you get? Just curious.

For the flashlight, I would recommend NOT getting a high-intensity one. Because then that means your runtime will be commensurably shorter.

If you're in a survival situation, for my purposes I'd prefer to have a light I know will last X amount of hours, because I'll be using it only when I have to, to extend the usable battery life, and I'll be doing prep for around my immediate person, most of the time - camp, fire, shelter. I don't think I'd really need to see 50 yards out for 20 minutes, as much as I'd prefer to see 5 yards out for 5 hours.

So, lights that fit this category can range anywhere from a cheap fake Photonlight, to an Arc AAA - which is very small and light and will run 12 hours on a single cell.

My 2 cents =)

Top Bottom