• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've built a couple rifles over the years and finally had an issue with a bcg last year. I had one that just didn't want to lock up. Took it to the range thinking it needed some break in but it was having problems . Mostly failures to extract, go full battery and sometimes just jamming up. Typically I like to see them slide nice and smooth with that crisp click as they lock.

As it happens, that was one of two "bargain" bcgs I bought from KM tactical. Yes I know they sell mostly garbage as I found out after buying a few uppers and these bcgs. Fortunately for me the solution was simple... I just replaced the bolt with a proven C158 and the issue was solved. That was the first time I've ever had an issue but I have no one else to blame so lesson learned.

For my most recent build I decided to go straight for a tool craft. Which probably tops my list now based on having SW factory, Colt, WOA, DPMS, Armalite, Fail Zero, superlative, PSAs, Tool craft and of course the KMT. I never have had the itch to buy anything too fancy 'cept maybe the 2 NB bcgs I have. I was curious to know if anyone out there in TGT land has ever had a defect ? Also wondering what brand/type tops your list and why?
    Gun Zone Deals

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I had a problem with a Bear Creek Arsenal BCG. Not a lock up problem, but appeared to be on battery and nothing when I pulled the trigger. They sent me an upgraded firing pin and that fixed the problem. My other Bear Creek BCG had zero issues.

I’ve had PSA and a couple others (Davidson Defense & Delta Team Tactical) over the years. Zero issues with any of them.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Two things (I think anyways) you should always buy the best you can afford when building an AR..........

Barrel and BCG........

Everything else can be upgraded later..........jmho........

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    I have built several "cheap" ARs and the only issue I ever had was a firing pin that was slightly too short. Happened to be on a rifle with a tight chamber so it was hard to diagnose at first.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    For precision- Young NM
    Everyday use- Toolcraft nitride or PSA

Latest build I used a Brownells lightweight. With all the weights removed from a carbine buffer and adjustable gas block open 7 clicks, it has virtually no recoil.

ETA-The Sharps relia-bolt is a really slick setup.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've bought a few from Ground Zero Precision (Dead Bolt). They used to be a sponsor of TGT, haven't seen their logo for awhile, so I'm not sure if they still are.

Never had any issues with them.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    SOLGW uses a Microbest BCG with 158 Carpenter Steel, is MPI and HPT, individually , not just batch.

BCM is same as above.

Toolcraft is also GTG and like Microbest makes BCGs for many other folks. Do you want batch or individually tested, that’s a difference in price point.

I just bought a Daniel Defense BCG to go in a DD upper because I’m weird like that.

SOLGW is probably best value for Tier 1 BCG. I have several, highly recommend.

In a SHTF setup I don’t carry extra extractor springs or things, I carry a spare BCM bolt.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Toolcraft C158 HPT/MPI FA BCG
    Yep, you can get them from PSA for 69 bucks sometimes. Like right now. You can choose nitride phosphate and I think even shiney. With Toolcraft logo on them or not. Depending on options its 69 79 89 or 99 bucks.

That reminds me. I need a spare.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I got my hands on a white oak armament complete upper today. It's a NM high power build. Bcg looked a lot like Remington/DPMS ones I have. Has that dull gray hue to the carrier(phosphate) and no markings on bolt. Properly chromed/staked gas key. Came complete from white oak matched to barrel and I bet it runs like it should.

Still think I prefer the darker slicker melonite BCGs but I keep a NB as a shtf spare. Seems like there really aren't too many bad options out there but the real test is in the round count and I'll admit I've been slacking this year.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I use JP BCGs in my 3 gun ARs. My oldest AR has a low mass bcg by JP. I'd have to guess over 10k rnds and still no issues. Now that I think about it. I need to order a rebuild kit

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom