• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    That escalated quickly! I’ve had a Savage Axis in .308 sitting around for a while, figured I’d either keep it in .308 and replace the cheap plastic stock, or possibly re-barrel it to one of the fancy 6mm rounds (creedmoor or GT) and get an MDT chasis. Well…….I finally picked up an MDT chassis, and started looking at barrel options. After 3 days of trying to decide on what caliber and barrel to go with, I’m now considering buying a new 110 action and Criterion 6 creedmoor barrel for the chassis AND keeping the Axis in .308, but replacing that barrel with a Criterion and putting it in a Boyd’s stock! That damn Northland Shooters Supply website has its hooks in me! Just not sure what barrel company to go with. One minute it’s Shilen, then the next it’s Criterion. Hopefully I can decide and order one before I change my mind about caliber AGAIN, and have to start the whole decision process over again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Sounds like you have plenty of good options, but not a clear vision for what you are trying to accomplish and why.

I gave in a couple years ago and bought a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. I fell in love with loading for it and shooting it. Got small group fever, and started thinking about picking up a rifle in 6mm. I looked at some of the factory options in 6 creedmoor, but also thought since I had that Savage .308 action sitting around, that for about the same price as a new rifle, I could put one together and pick what barrel manufacturer, caliber, length, and what stock or chassis I wanted. THEN I thought about it some more, and figured if I was gonna spend the money on a new barrel and chassis, did I really want to use an Axis action? I know the 110 is no custom action like a Defiance, but I’ve had good luck with them in other rifles. I’m just a naturally indecisive person anyway, and too many options over heats my brain!

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    I can understand that. Keep defining and refining what your goal is and maybe make a list of options. Analyze each option for the most likely and least likely path to your defined goal.

Don’t fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy.

You’ll get there.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If you've already got a 6.5, just stick with it.
    If you're starting from scratch, go with a 6mm/.243.

Not a huge difference. Keep your die and bullet inventory as simple as possible.

Once the ballistic coefficient climbs into the high numbers, the muzzle velocity doesn't matter quite as much.

Just my experiences and observations.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Gonna get "wordy".

Back in 1980, I bought a RCBS/SPEER reloading starter kit.
    That reloading manual was read cover to cover.
    The ballistic tables were studied for months.

I wanted a flat shooting and high energy rifle to cleanly take any game native to Texas.
    I leaned heavy to 7mm-08.
    After another reloading manual was acquired, I decided on the .243.
    It's done everything the books said it would.

Decades of 95 grain Nosler ballistic tip have never disappointed me.

Then I built a range out to 700 yds.
    Friends came and brought high dollar fancy rifles and new "exotic " clambering.

30 caliber caught my eye. I lusted for a .308 or a 300 WM. Because those were "established".
    338 and such were dismissed by me because "I don't need that much energy at distance ".

Then the guys started bringing 6br, 6×45, 6.5 CR. I got real interested.
    The ballistic tables got updated. My research was rekindled.

Dawico made an offer to me on a RPR 6 CR. I bit.
    Easiest cartridge I've ever fine tuned for accuracy in a particular rifle.
    It's a bench rifle. Way too heavy to carry afield, but it just does exactly what I bought it for.
    2" groups at 600 yds are pretty common. With mid range loads.
    The bullets it likes happen to be hunting bullets.

In a nutshell. It got boring in less than a year.
    I can hit 12" steel targets at various distances with hash marks and never twist an elevation knob.
    Windage doesn't need adjusting below 20 mph crosswinds out to 630 yds.

Creedmoor catches some flack, but it just performs from the bench.

I suspect you'll be happy with whatever you choose, for a while.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Remember "Perfection is the enemy of the good enough".
    Sure enough. For example, it's really strange to see someone eaten up by short-range benchrest. I've known a few. They are literally spending whatever it takes to shrink their 100-yard groups by 0.01". Trying to do this will, I imagine, drive anyone crazy. I just don't get it.

For those who don't want to click the link, it's the story of this:

stinn21x2.jpg

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    Rebarreled my Savage 10 FCP-HS to 6.5CM using a Shilen Select Match grade barrel several years ago…love that rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom