• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I find myself needing an 8lb jug of powder as i am ready to start loading for my 458 socom.

I dont need much else.

I hate the idea of paying a full hazmat ticket for 8lbs.

Anyone else in the Houston area interested in splitting shipping on an order?

I normally use powder valley but am open for suggestions, or recommendations on a local purchase.

Ive done a few of these in the past on the Calguns forum and they worked well.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Well crumb! I just ordered some a week ago and thought about posting the same thing. Good for you. Maybe you can connect with someone. I'll step up in the future.
    Where did you order from?

Im also looking to see where people are buying.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I'd been thinking about that. Not sure if I have the money available though.
    It dosent have to be much. If there is a powder you interested in pick up 1# of it. If i remember correctly, a maxed out 48# order will be somewhere around $1.25 -1.50 a pound.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

That is intriguing. I've been using H110 with good results. You should be aware that loading for the 458 is pretty finicky. Important things: bell the case mouth so the bullet goes in easier; getting the OAL is tricky in regards to chambering and cycling; be sure to do a roll crimp. I suggest loading 10 or less at a time, then when you get it right, replicate that on the rest.

Were it not for that I think I might order some of that powder.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    That is intriguing. I've been using H110 with good results. You should be aware that loading for the 458 is pretty finicky. Important things: bell the case mouth so the bullet goes in easier; getting the OAL is tricky in regards to chambering and cycling; be sure to do a roll crimp. I suggest loading 10 or less at a time, then when you get it right, replicate that on the rest.

Were it not for that I think I might order some of that powder.
    Every load posted mentions H110, that was also on my list.

Thanks for the suggestion, ill definitely follow them.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    There were instances with no starting load but had a max load. Of course this was across load data for various powders.

In some powders you can download 10% to start. Alliant says to do this for their load data.

Other powders shouldn't be downloaded.

The next time Midsouth or Powder Valley has small pistol primers I'll probably order to the limit.

Last edited:

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Where did you order from?

Im also looking to see where people are buying.

I went with Midsouth.

I'm just now starting to look at getting into reloading and wanted to get some consumables just in case they go up in price or out of stock, which a lot of items already are (small pistol primers, small rifle primers, etc).

I believe the hazmat fee for Midsouth was 16 and my shipping was around 20 or so.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I may kick myself in the butt for this but I'd like to be considered if someone wants to put something together.

I'm in NW Houston.
    I think we are going to wait a bit hoping primers come back in stock. Shoot me a PM with what your looking to get.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    If I'm the only one needing primers, don't hold up the order just for me if everyone else is ready. I can still use a 1 lb can of 2400 if nothing else. Also a can of IMR or H4895 if they have it (nobody seems to these days).

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    If I'm the only one needing primers, don't hold up the order just for me if everyone else is ready. I can still use a 1 lb can of 2400 if nothing else. Also a can of IMR or H4895 if they have it (nobody seems to these days).
    Ok. We will see.

Mikey pm me.

Top Bottom