• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fished

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2020
    Cedar Park
    I've been thinking about getting into reloading, been watching a lot of youtube videos. Ran across videos on powder coating bullets. Haven't found any saying why. Does anyone on here do that and if so what's it purpose?

Thanks
    Venture Surplus ad

randomthought

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    The powder coat takes the place of lube on the lead bullets no need to powder coat of jacketed bullets

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    The powder coat takes the place of lube on the lead bullets no need to powder coat of jacketed bullets

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Is this "powder coating" actually a lube for lead bullets. Or is it simply paint that functions as a lubricant. On the surface it seems like if it was paint it would eventually create more problems than it solves. Just understand this comes from a person that can't even spell reloding!

Huntsman52

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    San Antonio
    Powder coating works great for lead. Easy to do and cheap. Can push the bullets similar to jacked. No mess in barrel, no lube mess, no lube smoke. Its a win win for me.

pikeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2021
    Montana
    I've been thinking about getting into reloading, been watching a lot of youtube videos. Ran across videos on powder coating bullets. Haven't found any saying why. Does anyone on here do that and if so what's it purpose?

Thanks
    With powder coating you do not need to lube your bullets. If done properly and with a high quality powder you lead bullets can be fired with out using lube. The bullets will need to be sized after coating but after sizing they are ready to load

pikeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2021
    Montana
    Is this "powder coating" actually a lube for lead bullets. Or is it simply paint that functions as a lubricant. On the surface it seems like if it was paint it would eventually create more problems than it solves. Just understand this comes from a person that can't even spell reloding!
    It is a polyester coating that is baked onto the bullet. It does not come off when fired. There is no need for adding a lube to the bullets but after coating they will need to be sized. Once sized they can be loaded. They have done 50 round test in a 44 magnum with no leading of the barrel.

Top Bottom