Potential first lever action! Advice please?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VaultDweller63

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2024
    Frisco
    Hey y’all, I’ve got an interesting opportunity. At a shop I frequent, there’s a Winchester 94AE w/ cross bolt safety for sale. From what I could find, it’s dated to 1992, and is unfired. The factory grease appears to still be on it, with not a single mark on the follower. It comes with just under 200 rounds. Its currently up for $1100- but the fella has it consigned and is moving country, so chances are he’ll take lower.

All in all, is this worth jumping on as a first? I know it’s no pre-64, but I’d be the first one to use it, so I figure it’s alright. Thoughts/feedback are greatly appreciated!

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Winchesters are solid. As for price. I've seen them go for $700-$900 used. With the ammo and it being in excellent condition Id say the price is okay. Not great. The question is what do want a lever gun for? To hunt? 30-30 is a great option. Scope mounting options are limited on the 94 unlike a Marlin or Henry. If you just want irons then it doesn't matter. If you want a plinker for the range I'd say you would be better off with a 357/38 special rifle. Cheaper ammo and more pleasant of a report and very little recoil. 357 out of a levergun is still a great ~100 yard hunting rifle also. I'm partial to Marlins, because that is what I have. I wouldn't shy away from a Henry either or a Winchester.

VaultDweller63

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2024
    Frisco
    Winchesters are solid. As for price. I've seen them go for $700-$900 used. With the ammo and it being in excellent condition Id say the price is okay. Not great. The question is what do want a lever gun for? To hunt? 30-30 is a great option. Scope mounting options are limited on the 94 unlike a Marlin or Henry. If you just want irons then it doesn't matter. If you just want a blinker for the range I'd say you would be better of with a 357/38 special rifle. Cheaper ammo and more pleasant or a report and very little recoil. 357 out of a levergun is still a great ~100 yard hunting rifle also. I'm partial to Marlins, because thay what I have. I wouldn't shy away from a Henry either or a Winchester.

Thanks for the heads up on price. I’d like to start hunting, but plinking would be nice as well. If only 357 levers weren’t so crazy expensive these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Thanks for the heads up on price. I’d like to start hunting, but plinking would be nice as well. If only 357 levers weren’t so crazy expensive these days.

Rossi R92s are a pretty good value. They aren't as refined as some of the other guns, but they work well and are a handy little rifles.

NWFA

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    Lever guns are fantastic to hunt as long as you’re good with irons, optics for the 94 seems clunky. I got the marlin instead. However, the 94 is much cooler looking IMO. As for plinking, the 30-30 round and bare bones wood stock is no fun. It’s a hunting cartridge chambered in an arguably undersized and underweight rifle. Taking a few shot on a trip in fine, taking it to the range was not fun to get it sighted in.

NWFA

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    With all that being said, you won’t regret getting a 30-30. I am trying to find one to suppress and I keep going back to it to hunt despite all the newer hunting rifles I’ve purchased.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I bought my Winchester 94AE (30-30)from a buddy from work in '97/'98. Put a Leupold 3x9x40mm on it. I use to take it as a backup to my Remington in 270 cal. After a morning hunt I bumped the scope on my 270, so I took the 94AE out that evening. Dropped a nice pig at about 75 yards. Have been hunting with that 94AE, that last 15 years. Of course the longest shot I've taken with it is only 100 yards but every deer or pig has dropped in its tracks (170 gr SP ammo). It's light and easy to mount and shoot in my deer stand. The AE stands for Angle Eject so scope is mounted on top without any issues. I really like hunting with it. Just my 2 cents.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I’ll differ. I think that price is high. Then again, I don’t like the AE, mainly due to the crossbolt safety. And, I isn’t as smooth as the original 94.
    I’ve seen several 1970’s era Marlins (JM) for sale in the past month around $675-$750.

Ammo in 30/30 is available from Target Sports for about $23 per 20.

My advice is worth exactly what you’re paying for it - $0.00.

I’ll add that I picked up a 94AE in 44 mag recently from a fellow TGT-er for $650 since i could not find a pre AE in 44 anywhere - I plan on doing a safety delete.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Pre-64 is desirable because Winchester moved to cut costs and didn't make the rifle with quite the smoothness that it once had. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with the post-64 versions. They're still solid and will last a very long time. The date affects the price more than anything else.

Lever actions have made a serious comeback in the past few years. They don't have the "evil reputation" of the so-called "black rifles", but they still deliver rounds quickly. They're light, they're rugged, they're dependable, and - do I really have to say it - they're just so much fun to shoot!

There were a lot of big hogs on the last couple of deer leases that I hunted. I had a Winchester 94 on my ATV so that it was handy if I had to shoot quickly. The .30-30 was the premier deer round for many years. It doesn't have the flat distance of some of the more modern rounds, but inside 150 yards it will do the job just fine.

Winchester has the reputation when it comes to lever actions, but Marlin (now Ruger), Browning, Henry (current production) and Savage all have made great lever guns. The Savage 99 was arguably a better rifle, but Winchesters always command a better price - if for no other reason than it's what shows up in every western. Everyone needs at least one lever action, so if you find a good one at a decent price, jump on it. You won't regret it.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    That’s fair, I didn’t say 30-30. The one I’m referring to happens to be 30-30. Another consideration would be the Big Boy in .357 Magnum. Those seem pretty solid as well.

I have Henry rifles in .357mag and .44mag. When the ejector broke on the .357, I called customer service and had a replacement in less than a week.
    Warning - Lever guns are addictive.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Winchester rivals Henry.

If anyone is interested there is 99 in the awsome chambering of 250-3000 aka 250 Savage for sale for $700-$750 on Texas gun Trader.
    Ammo is a bust I think they even Stopped the seasonal runs of it.
    I would think the owner has some ammo maybe.
    Other then the 284 Win
    These two cahmbering in that rifle are the most sought after.

Top Bottom