Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The width and depth of your life experiences
    ...are a mile wide and an inch deep, something folks should remember.
    Drove that way just the other day and the fresh tire marks show it is still one of the places in North Houston for street racing.
    I figured it would be long dead and lined with apartments on the south side but a quick look at Google Maps shows that it's still wide, flat, clean, and almost all of both sides is industrial or businesses that clear out before dark. Yeah, it could still be a street racing center. In fact, Street View shows some loooong tire marks.

Google also shows that I lived 5 or 6 blocks away, not 3. :)

I can't imagine the old days when the empty lots would fill up with spectators and the cops would basically ignore the place will ever come back. But for a small gathering, it looks like it would still work. In fact, the development on the south side might actually redirect some of the noise that used to cause the apartment dwellers to the south to call the police to complain.

Wow. Memories.
    May have to make a trip down that way with the GTO and see if this old man still has anything left in him.
    I never had a car to run; I was just a hanger-on. Luckily, I had a friend with a 455 Buick of some sort who used to stuff me in the passenger seat and scare the crap out of me regularly.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I remember crackdowns much older than that. I lived 3 blocks from the Goodnight Trail, if you remember that scene.
    Oh yeah, I remember - but I never raced there. My big ones were Westheimer and FM1093 West of Hwy 6 (late 90's), Rankin Rd., Pinemont, Brittmore, Center St., Battleground Rd., and a couple times Holmes Rd. Wife spent time with her bro in law down on Spikewood in her youth (early 90's) but that was before my time.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Gotta teach them how to hold them cats when they're young, right?
    he had caught 4 or 5 before I caught my first. it's his obsession. youtube taught him lol.

I'm getting into it a bit now. throw a drop shot and let it sit while I pretend to fish for bass.

his catfish setup he got for his 9th bday last month
    03622fc56dff7450585ec52add6bed7c.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Oh yeah, I remember - but I never raced there. My big ones were Westheimer and FM1093 West of Hwy 6 (late 90's), Rankin Rd., Pinemont, Brittmore, Center St., Battleground Rd., and a couple times Holmes Rd. Wife spent time with her bro in law down on Spikewood in her youth (early 90's) but that was before my time.
    I remember the westhiemer races. I used to hang out over that way at the Hog Stop/AL's #2 Then the sherriff start to show up on friday/sat nights after a wreck or two.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    My hobbies have elevated or deteriorated, depend on who one asks. Still into guns and shooting, reloading, carpentry, keeping the dam acreage mowed and rocks picked up, cigars, and beer. That 'bout does it! :green: (pics will probably never be posted!)

C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    Not much of a liquor drinker, but good beer is a must.

I love good Beer although I rarely drink it. All cheap domestic beers give me a headache out in the sun after just one can or bottle. Irately have this problem with Craft or Imported Foreign Beers. I don’t know what they are putting in our domestic backwash.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Try Duvel. Not cheap but it's the very best beer I have ever drank in my 55 years of drinking beer! Comes in a 4 pack at Spec's for about $15, but I can't drink more than two because of the high alcohol content (it may be classified as an Ale?). The label tells you drink it with a big head on top but if you just pour it into a glass like normal, you'll have 3/4 foam and 1/4 beer! :banana:

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The only real difference between an ale and a lager is the yeast used to ferment it. Lager yeast strains prefer a colder temperature range and longer fermentation time than an ale yeast. Alcohol concentration will vary based on the style of beer (type and amount of the various grains, etc.).

Top Bottom