• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    My daughter's husband (a Marine Veteran) died last January of complications from cancer and Covid 19.
    Earlier in his life his father had given him a post '64 Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 caliber. My daughter has three elementary school age children, so she does not want the Winchester at her house any longer.
    She brought it to me Christmas Eve and asked me if I would sell it for her. She got to shoot it once. Once was enough for her!
    I am not much of a rifle person, especially when it comes to the Model 94. I do know the Pre 94 models are more valuable than the Post 64's due to the construction methods used on the older rifles.
    The serial number on this rifle dates back to either late 1968 or early 1969. It is in good shape overall with a few usage marks.
    What would be a reasonable value for a rifle like this? I can get a photo if it would make the estimation easier. Just looking for a fair ballpark estimation of value.
    If my daughter is certain she does not want the rifle, I will post it for sale on this website.
    Thanks.
    DK Firearms

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    I would guess pre Covid to be around $700-900 depending on condition and post Covid around $1,200. Winchester's usually bring more money than old Marlins.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Wow. I was expecting values in the $300 to $350 range.
    My daughter can use the money. She teaches elementary school, so she isn't getting rich.
    I will try to get a photo tonight and attach it to this post tomorrow. That will give you guys a better idea of what she brought to me.
    Happy New Year.

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    I picked up a ‘66 from a friend for $350 this year. I would expect a bit more for one without the friend discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I bought a well loved pre-64 late last year for $500 and it came 200 rounds of ammo. Condition is going to be everything. In these times people will take what they can get. My estimate would be ~$500 maybe more. Leverguns are making a come back.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Have you considered keeping/buying it and holding it for one of your grandkids should they be interested? Having something that was their granddad’s and their dad’s might mean a lot to them.

Having my dad’s Marlin really means a lot to me( have posted it several times over the years here with various deer I have taken with it)

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Condition is everything when placing a value on a gun usually. There are exceptions. An older Winchester 94 in really good condition could be worth quite a bit.

Best suggestion would be to find a competent gun dealer that can place an honest appraisal value on the rifle. That would give you a good starting point on what the rifle is worth.

Completed gun auction sales can give you a basic reference point what they are actually selling for as well.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Realistically, $400, give or take a bit for condition, checkering, etc. That $1,200 suggestion might apply to a pre-64. It's a terrific rifle. I bought one years back for $125 at a gun show in Pasadena. 3 people stopped me in the parking lot, wanting to buy it. Makes a great pig gun to put on the ATV.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Personally I would try and keep it for the grandkids, you could "buy" it from your daughter if she really needs the money. I wish I had my dad's old marlin, but it stayed in the family, went to my cousin. (long story there) I got my dad's old H&R .22 and treasure it. Sentimental value goes a long way. My '94 will go to one of my grandsons. Dad won it in a raffle for $1 back in the mid 60's. It is older than I, built in 1951 and I shot my first deer with it.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Have you considered keeping/buying it and holding it for one of your grandkids should they be interested? Having something that was their granddad’s and their dad’s might mean a lot to them.

Having my dad’s Marlin really means a lot to me( have posted it several times over the years here with various deer I have taken with it)
    Agreed. The only shotgun I actually like shooting is my grandfather's 870 wingmaster.

And I really enjoyed watching my son learn to shoot my other grandfather's Ruger single six.

Those are the only guns I own that I wouldn't consider selling.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

I will second thin a thousand times. I was a phucking idiot who sold guns my dad and grandfather owned while I was in college. Stupid stupid stupid.

I would pay dearly to get them back. Nothing special, an old marlin, a jc Higgins shot gun. An old S&W revolver and a few others.

Just sayin.

Give her 500 bucks and hold it for the kids.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Here are a few photos.

Attachments

• Win-1.jpg
      Win-1.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 159
    • Win-2.jpg
      Win-2.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 172
    • Win-3.jpg
      Win-3.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 162
    • Win-4.jpg
      Win-4.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 133

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    As has been said by others, give her the money and put the gun away. Hopefully you will make one of the grandkids day in the future.
    Good looking rifle!

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I am doing what my Daughter has asked me to do. My daughter and I go shooting occasionally, but the grand kids have shown no desire to even be around firearms. My grandsons are 10 and 5. I am 73.
    I will be gone a long time before I would be able to pass this rifle on to either of them.
    I have one Model 94. It is a Model of 1894 saddle gun made in 1902. If one of them ever wants a rifle, my wife can pass that one on to one of them

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Agreed. The only shotgun I actually like shooting is my grandfather's 870 wingmaster.

And I really enjoyed watching my son learn to shoot my other grandfather's Ruger single six.

Those are the only guns I own that I wouldn't consider selling.

Same here. I inherited my grandfather's old Wingmaster. Based on the barrel code, it was made in 1958. I still shoot it from time to time. I'll never sell it.

Top Bottom