• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GeorgeandSugar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2017
    Como
    Greetings!

There might be a possible move to the Houston area. Wife wants to be closer to our daughter and grandchild. Looking at areas north or west of Springs, TX. Conroe, TX looks like a nice community. Property taxes seem high, though. Looks like that all over TX.

Any advice, guidance, do’s or don’t’s, where not live etc... I prefer to be west of Houston and away from the coastal area due to hurricane activity, flooding, storm surge etc...

I know it’s hot and humid. Bugs a big problem? Exotic wildlife? Places to shot? A net positive us a gun friendly and business friendly.

Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Well I’m in west Houston, and i have everything I would ever need within a two mile radius of my house. We are pretty much stacked on top of one another though, and the roads are pretty torn up. I grew up in Houston, and if I had a choice and work commute was not a concern, I would look west of I45 and east of hwy 290, and would prefer Magnolia area. Lots of land if that’s preferred, subdivisions with acreage, lots of trees.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I'm in Spring, north east of the intersection of I-45 and 99. Nice area, for a subdivision. Only been on this side of town for six months or so, but it's pretty nice. I try to stay away from the I-45 nonsense though :)

If you're looking farther north at Conroe or even further out you can get more for your money than here though, but you'll probably end up spending more time on the road. Magnolia is a beautiful area too, but again you'll likely spend more time driving. That's pretty much always going to be the tradeoff.

Property taxes are higher here because we don't have a state income tax, and our state sales tax is about on par with the rest of the nation. They're going to get the money from us one way or another. Not sure where you're coming from or what you're looking for, but there's a lot of variety to be had in the Houston area.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    I have my eye on Austin County and Colorado County. I think Montgomery will eventually become Harris North. No offense to those living there but the rest of Montgomery County folks will always get theirs only after The Woodlands has gotten theirs.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I grew up on the north east side of Houston...from the late 70s to the late 90s. Lake Houston area then to Spring. Then from 2000 the Cypress area, up until last year, then relocated to East Tx.
    Now that im here, i wish i would have moved sooner...lol. You do have convenience with stores & such, but you also have a crap ton of traffic. When i lived off 290, i worked 12 miles from the house & it still took 45 minutes to & from work. If your retired & dont have to fight traffic the north west side isn't too bad of an area, near the Tomball/Magnolia area. The west side of Cypress got pretty bad after Katrina with all the insurgents. I'd stay away from Barker Cypress/West rd ... all the way to I10 & then Fry rd/ West rd to I10. There was a ton of track homes in that area in the early 2000s that went to FEMA & HUD. We built a new house in early 2000 around Barker Cypress & 529... that whole area went to shit after Katrina. We sold that house after we got broke into 3 times in 1.5 years. You can tell by all the trash on the side of the road as you drive the area. There are a couple nice neighborhoods in that area ... Town Lake & Bridgeland.... but the insurgents use that area to prey on the better off people.
    After we sold that house we ended up on the east side of 290, a little bit better since no new track neighborhoods on that side, but definitely could tell it was getting worse. The other issue is flooding in the Cypress area. The railroad tracks act as a levy for Cypress Creek.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I lived in east Houston from 1st-grade until I graduated. Dad worked at the steel mill. I moved away for college and a few years in the Air Force. I ended up back in the Houston area at 30 and stayed for another 28 years. That's where the money was.
    I'm retired now and living in the woods of east Texas. I hated Houston.
    Houston is a good place to be from...FAR from.
    My sons and their families are still there due to jobs. When I head south on 59 to visit them, I usually make it to Grand Parkway before the idiots try to run me off the road. The crazies driving their 4-bangers with glass-packs and air-foils 90 mph while crossing all lanes of traffic without signaling drive me to the point of wanting to drag someone out of their car and beat them right there on the side of the road for putting the lives of others in danger. I dread traveling through that place. There surely cannot be a more condensed concentration of losers, idiots, and a-holes than in that stinking place.
    Well, now you know how I really feel about Houston...
    Now, get off my lawn!

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I also grew up and lived most of my life in Houston. Worked extensively in most of TX big cities.
    Retired in San Antonio and still glad I did.

The only part of "Houston" that I find interesting for a residence is far West in the Katy area.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Well, now you know how I really feel about Houston...
    Now for something completely different...

I moved to Houston in 1978 and fell in love with it. I now live in Spring but up until ~10 years ago, I worked downtown so I spent most of my waking hours in the belly of the beast.

skfullgun - You seem to have a real problem with Houston traffic. I understand. But I want to address your conclusions about it.

GeorgeandSugar - Traffic sucks but once you get used to it you manage. I've driven in Chicago, NYC, LA, DFW, and out in the middle of nowhere in NJ, where people managed to be even more crazy than in the cities. I prefer driving in Houston. If you can adapt, it won't bother you.

You haven't said if you're retired or still working. If you have a job here, just living where you commute against traffic can reduce your stress. That's something to consider when picking a new residence.

If you're retired, you can live anywhere that suits you. The area you mentioned is nice. Keep in mind, though, that neighborhoods change character quickly. Sometimes there's a great neighborhood and you go three blocks and you're afraid to get out of your car. That's much more true the closer you get to the center of the city but some of that is true in all of Harris county. I imagine the same thing holds in the surrounding counties, no matter which direction you go.

Final point - We need more info to make good recommendations. Are there any particular features or amenities you value and want to be near? Are there particular medical facilities that you regularly need? Just how close to your daughter do you want to be? See-'em-every-day close? Or easy-to-pop-over-there-once-a-month close?

One final thing - HAR.com is a good resource. You can do a map search for the realty type and price range of your choosing inside map boundaries you draw. I find it fascinating just for exploring around; by contrast, you could use it for something productive. :)

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I live on the NE side (Kingwood). They use to call the area “The Livable Forest”, but in the last 20 years, trees are starting to become an endangered species. If I was to move, but had to stay close to Houston, I would go West, out towards Sealy. Not real familiar with the area, but I do have an acquaintance that lives in the area, and he was able to get a pretty nice acreage, and build what he wanted. One of the few places around Houston that hasn’t been over developed (YET).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgeandSugar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2017
    Como
    Now for something completely different...

I moved to Houston in 1978 and fell in love with it. I now live in Spring but up until ~10 years ago, I worked downtown so I spent most of my waking hours in the belly of the beast.

skfullgun - You seem to have a real problem with Houston traffic. I understand. But I want to address your conclusions about it.

GeorgeandSugar - Traffic sucks but once you get used to it you manage. I've driven in Chicago, NYC, LA, DFW, and out in the middle of nowhere in NJ, where people managed to be even more crazy than in the cities. I prefer driving in Houston. If you can adapt, it won't bother you.

You haven't said if you're retired or still working. If you have a job here, just living where you commute against traffic can reduce your stress. That's something to consider when picking a new residence.

If you're retired, you can live anywhere that suits you. The area you mentioned is nice. Keep in mind, though, that neighborhoods change character quickly. Sometimes there's a great neighborhood and you go three blocks and you're afraid to get out of your car. That's much more true the closer you get to the center of the city but some of that is true in all of Harris county. I imagine the same thing holds in the surrounding counties, no matter which direction you go.

Final point - We need more info to make good recommendations. Are there any particular features or amenities you value and want to be near? Are there particular medical facilities that you regularly need? Just how close to your daughter do you want to be? See-'em-every-day close? Or easy-to-pop-over-there-once-a-month close?

One final thing - HAR.com is a good resource. You can do a map search for the realty type and price range of your choosing inside map boundaries you draw. I find it fascinating just for exploring around; by contrast, you could use it for something productive. :)

Retired USAF. Looking north and west of Springs, TX. Proximity to national forest for hiking with my dog is a plus. Huntsville looks attractive. Already impressed with Har.com (many thanks). Already with everyone’s advice getting a better and clearer picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom