• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    … other than allow dirt/lint/debris/etc an easy entrance inside the slide to “f” things up.
    If it's not in a positive pressured enclosed space with recirculated air thru filters, there will always be that chance for debris to get inside of where you don't want in the barrel, recoil spring and slide. Ported, slide cuts or anything, especially in high windy atmospheric conditions. There's always dirt blowing when I shoot guns with a comp, brake, ported (extended length or factory) and slide cuts..............no issues

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    If it's not in a positive pressured enclosed space with recirculated air thru filters, there will always be that chance for debris to get inside of where you don't want in the barrel, recoil spring and slide. Ported, slide cuts or anything, especially in high windy atmospheric conditions. There's always dirt blowing when I shoot guns with a comp, brake, ported (extended length or factory) and slide cuts..............no issues
    Thanks for that insightful information Mr. Obvious.

All I'm saying is if it ain't broke; don't fix it... and make darned sure not to increase the odds of failure just for the sake of "tacti-cool" aesthetics.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    It's been about 10 years, but I had a S/A XDS, sent the barrel/slide assembly to Magnaport to get it ported. They did a fantastic job, it looked like factory. Cost was just a little over $100. The ports cut the muzzle flip substantially. It was already an easy gun to shoot, that made it really easy and fun. The sound of the gases coming out of the port was weird until I got used to it. If I planned on having any other gun ported, Magnaport would be the place to do it.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    As a younger shooter I gave heed to the notion of "open slides are bad" and heard all the talk about the Beretta 92's and Glock's competition guns getting dirt and debris and all manner of nasties in them and jamming them up - now over 2 decades later I'm wiser and have learned that by and large, its nonsense unless you're dropping your gun into a cow patty or a mud puddle.

My Glock 34 has been my constant companion since I got it - carried openly in a duty holster at work, and in an IWB holster when I'm not working. I've also carried a Beretta 92 in a duty holster and in IWB and OWB concealment holster and have not found them at all to gather more dust, debris, dirt, or lint than any of the other guns I treated similarly. I carry when I'm on my mower, doing yard work, and pretty much if I'm awake, my gun is on me. I've had debris get into the slides of all my other guns because aside from a few with full length rails - there's plenty of gap on most semi auto pistols for dirt and dust and lint to find its way inside. Not to mention on a Glock specifically, unless you use a butt plug in the grip, shit gets in thru the back strap and it goes right into the trigger mechanism.

Ported /. lightened slides *can* mess with cycling, but its not a hard & fast rule, and you notice most "go-fast" guns have lightening cuts / ported slides on them because it typically causes the slide to cycle faster and shoot flatter. You may have to adjust spring weights if your gun won't run reliably, but springs are cheap and there's enough knowledge out on the internet now, chances are someone has the same gun, with similar / same cuts, and will tell you exactly which spring worked for them if they did have issues.

FWIW the Glock 34 is a flatter, smoother shooting gun, ported slide and all, than the Glock 17, 19, 26 or other flavor of double stack 9mm Glocks are. My gun just has the factory lightening cut in the slide and does *not* have a ported barrel, though I've toyed with the notion of picking up a factory C barrel for it to see if it would make the gun even flatter shooting.

If you like the aesthetic, go for it. You should be examining carry guns regularly anyway, especially after working or travelling through dirty / dusty areas so you should be catching any of hte dust bunnies / lint lions / dirt devils hiding in the crannies of your blaster.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    At least OP admitted he wants a modified pistol for aesthetics. I respect honesty in the face of criticism way more than I respect someone spitting an opinion on a subject that they have little or no personal first hand experience with, because some of y'all clearly lack experience on this one. Mindseducer, I don't know your location but if you're near SE Houston I'll meet you at the range and let you experience stock vs compensated vs ported/relieved. Shouldn't take us long to play high speed tactician, can probably wrap up a range session in less time than it takes some of these guys to hang their handicapped placard and waddle up to the counter.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    are the timney alpha's for m&p's work on both 1.0 and 2.0's or just 2.0's?

If it works on the 2.0 it might not work on the 1.0 - they did do some geometry changes with the triggers, IIRC. Many parts interchange, but some are version specific.

If you're not afraid to do a little backyard gunsmithery - you can do some adjustment of the factory trigger yourself. The shepard's hook on the M&P trigger can be opened or closed and that results in less take up / travel, I'd done it on a couple of my M&P gen 1s in the past but honestly, if you want a good trigger on an M&P aftermarket is the way to go. Apex triggers are terrific, have not had a chance to try the Timney in an M&P but they're lights out in a Glock.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    If it works on the 2.0 it might not work on the 1.0 - they did do some geometry changes with the triggers, IIRC. Many parts interchange, but some are version specific.

If you're not afraid to do a little backyard gunsmithery - you can do some adjustment of the factory trigger yourself. The shepard's hook on the M&P trigger can be opened or closed and that results in less take up / travel, I'd done it on a couple of my M&P gen 1s in the past but honestly, if you want a good trigger on an M&P aftermarket is the way to go. Apex triggers are terrific, have not had a chance to try the Timney in an M&P but they're lights out in a Glock.
    I was able to find info on Timney's site and as such it states FOR 1.0 & 2.0, so all good. Now the issue on IF I install the Timney on the 1.0 is the safety plunger........not the install itself, but I have 2 slides for it..........might check and see if there is a plunger only buy. If not, I'll save it for the 40 when I barrel swap for the 357sig..............or just buy 2 more triggers?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I was able to find info on Timney's site and as such it states FOR 1.0 & 2.0, so all good. Now the issue on IF I install the Timney on the 1.0 is the safety plunger........not the install itself, but I have 2 slides for it..........might check and see if there is a plunger only buy. If not, I'll save it for the 40 when I barrel swap for the 357sig..............or just buy 2 more triggers?

Have you checked the M&P forum? There's an internet forum for M&P owners, lots of good info there and maybe someone would have the part you need sitting in their spare parts bin.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Grendor
    Top Bottom