• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Loaded my first 50 rounds of 45 ACP today using a Lee turret press. I think it went pretty well for a virgin. I did have to measure the powder each time. The P̶e̶r̶f̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶P̶o̶w̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶M̶e̶a̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ Autodisk was not consistent at all. It did get close right about the time I had 50 done. Also the rounds weren't going straight into the factory crimp die even though it was indexed properly. It seemed to be crimping okay but it shaved a tiny bit of brass off of the mouth of the case.

I really want to pop off a few rounds into the back yard... guess I should wait until I go to the range.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As far as the perfect powder measure: I've found it's more accurate if I leave the measuring cavity empty between rounds to prevent settling from shaking the bench. Drop load, and leave it in that position.

Congrats on the cherry popping, least you didn't bleed on anything....,

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    As far as the perfect powder measure: I've found it's more accurate if I leave the measuring cavity empty between rounds to prevent settling from shaking the bench. Drop load, and leave it in that position.

Congrats on the cherry popping, least you didn't bleed on anything....,

Do you take the spring off and manually move it back?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Do you have the "perfect powder measure" or the auto disc?

I didn't know I could mount the perfect powder measure on the turret press.

Honestly, I tend to use the perfect powder measure on rifle rounds. I drop the charge then trickle up. With stick powder it stays within .2gr.

The auto disc has never given me much trouble.

I try to keep the hoppers at least half full on both for more accurate drops, never let them get below about 1/3 unless I'm weighing each drop.

If you set it while low on powder, it will probably drop heavy charges when full.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have been back and forth on the charge bar. It's a cheap purchase, but I've read a lot of revues about inconsistencies at low charge weights.

If you keep having trouble, try the discs. Mine have always been plenty accurate for 9mm and .40 loads. I think the "thin" spots at the edges if the charge bar are what causes the funny drops with it.

Also, if you want to fine tune loads with the discs I've read a lot of people who order an extra disc and drill the holes slightly larger to get "in between" the marked measurements.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I use the discs for plinking ammo / speed mounted on my Lee turret. No issues.

But for target or hunting rounds I'm using my RCBS Chargemaster now and batching them up. I set the weight a little below what I want and then tap/ trickle the little metal straw to get it just right.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You do this on purpose.

Lol, no.

Ever since I cracked my phone screen it seems to have caused the touch sensor to act up a little with button. Combine that with autocorrect and I get lots of errors.

I catch most of them.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    What powder?
    Flake, ball or cylindrical?
    I'm finding mine to be consistent, within reason. I load thousands of .38spl and .45acp with auto disk.
    The shavings issue sounds like your flaring tool needs to be backed off a bit, or, your crimp is too strong.
    Pics?

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Bullseye.

Here is how it enters the crimp die. It enters the seating die perfectly.

align_zpsd77a8b47.jpg

I didn't realize how many shavings there were until I went to take this pic.

shavings_zpsd3ed17fe.jpg

I started pushing on it a little going in... guess it didn't help much.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Hmmm. Is the shell holder clean?
    The carrier?

But, I'd also back off the crimp die a few thousanths. Looks like you had about 10 cases a tad longer than the rest of 'em.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Hmmm. Is the shell holder clean?
    The carrier?

But, I'd also back off the crimp die a few thousanths. Looks like you had about 10 cases a tad longer than the rest of 'em.

Yeah, I made sure everything was clean before I started. And the other dies are lined up just right.

I'll back off the crimp a little.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    I have an auto disk and it likes ball powder a lot more than flake. For example,AA5 and AA7 meter consistently but 700X does not. I've had similar experience with the adjustable charge bar. As for the crimp to set mune up I backed the die all the way out, put a known good completed round in and ran the press all the way up. While holding the handle down with my leg I turned the die down until it contacted then tighten the lock ring and recheck. I keep an example dummy cartrige for each case/bullet combination I load to speed up set up.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    I bought a Pro AutoDisk when I bought my Classic Turret press in 2008. Just started using the Classic Turret again a couple of months ago. The Pro AutoDisk leaks the fine grained sphericals (ball-type) powders and I don't use flake powders in handgun loads. Decided to charge with my RCBS Uniflow, took the Pro AutoDisk off and sold it. Both Hornady and RCBS make a Case-Activated powder charging conversion kit. You buy the conversion kit, then their powder measure and the necessary expanders for each caliber you load. More expensive but much more effective and uniform charging. Keeping the indexing rod properly adjusted and the individual tool-heads lubricated will prevent problems. I do use the LEE Safety Prime system and it works well enough. The pot metal Safety Scale is J-U-N-K and hopefully no one is using it. For $50 you can get an RCBS RC-130 that only weighs up to 131 grs. and made specifically for weighing powder charges accurately. Mine has been on the money for nearly 20 years and it gets an occasional test with checkweights and other scales for comparison.

Top Bottom