• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I say we change all these politicians names “to cut it out stupid” or just “stupid” for short or other words like moron, idiot, etc.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Not a native, but lots of my family are. Born in Alabama, grew up in Florida and spent a ton of time all over the place. Plenty of Texas punk rock. Butthole Surfers, the Dicks, MDC, DRI.........

I knew some girls into punk and recall hitting up a few punk clubs in Dallas back during the early 80's. I believe Ground Zero was one.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    When is this stuff ever going to end? I always saw him as a Patriotic Individual who loved our great nation.

Who can forget John Wayne in the Alamo?

He was an an actor, plain and simple. He was an excellent actor.

Patriot? He chose Hollywood over serving his country in WWII.

However, the airport isn't named after him for being a patriot, but for being an great actor. That hasn't changed, nor should the airport's name.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    He was an an actor, plain and simple. He was an excellent actor.

Patriot? He chose Hollywood over serving his country in WWII.

However, the airport isn't named after him for being a patriot, but for being an great actor. That hasn't changed, nor should the airport's name.

That is not entirely true. It was much more complicated than that.

America's entry into World War II resulted in a deluge of support for the war effort from all sectors of society, and Hollywood was no exception. Wayne was exempted from service due to his age (34 at the time of Pearl Harbor) and family status (classified as 3-A – family deferment). Wayne repeatedly wrote to John Ford saying he wanted to enlist, on one occasion inquiring whether he could get into Ford's military unit, but consistently kept postponing it until after "he finished just one or two pictures".[35] Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him since he was their only A-list actor under contract. Herbert J. Yates, President of Republic, threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract,[36] and Republic Pictures intervened in the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne's further deferment.[37]

With Joan Blondell in Lady for a Night (1942)
    U.S. National Archives records indicate that Wayne, in fact, did make an application[38] to serve in the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), precursor to the modern CIA, and had been accepted within the U.S. Army's allotted billet to the OSS. William J. Donovan, OSS Commander, wrote Wayne a letter informing him of his acceptance into the Field Photographic Unit, but the letter went to his estranged wife Josephine's home. She never told him about it. Wayne toured U.S. bases and hospitals in the South Pacific for three months in 1943 and 1944.[39] with the USO.[40][41][42] During this trip, he carried out a request from Donovan to assess whether General Douglas MacArthur, commander of the South West Pacific Area, or his staff were hindering the work of the OSS.[19]:88 Donovan later issued Wayne an OSS Certificate of Service to memorialize Wayne's contribution to the OSS mission.[19]:88[43]

By many accounts, his failure to serve in the military later became the most painful part of his life.[35] His widow later suggested that his patriotism in later decades sprang from guilt, writing: "He would become a 'superpatriot' for the rest of his life trying to atone for staying home."[44]

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    So what did this "super patriot" do that was super patriotic? Did he do war movies for free? Did he do USO tours for free? Nope, that was all part of his normal duties. What did he do that was so patriotic? Seriously, during WWII, there were literally hundreds of thousands of people who were doing more patriotic stuff.

So he could not join the military because he might get sued for leaving his acting contract, but applied for a job with the OSS? Would that not also result in a lawsuit of he got the job.

Then, of course, the letter went to the wrong place, because the OSS, America's spy operation at the time, could not otherwise find John Wayne, one of the most famous people in America at the time, to tell him that he was hired? Oh, but later Wild Bill found him, did not hire him, but asked if he would snoop around while on his paid USO gig? That is really weird. He was accepted to work for the OSS and even met with Wild Bill Donovan, yet managed to not be employed by the OSS. Weird.

As you note, Wayne repeatedly made excuses not to join when he had the chance.

Lots of conflicting messages going on with all that.

People perceive John Wayne as a cowboy, war hero, etc. when he was none of those things. He was an actor, plain and simple. The general public knows little of John Wayne's personal life. They have a perceived persona that is based on his acting roles.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    1kayrv.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    So what did this "super patriot" do that was super patriotic? Did he do war movies for free? Did he do USO tours for free? Nope, that was all part of his normal duties. What did he do that was so patriotic? Seriously, during WWII, there were literally hundreds of thousands of people who were doing more patriotic stuff.

So he could not join the military because he might get sued for leaving his acting contract, but applied for a job with the OSS? Would that not also result in a lawsuit of he got the job.

Then, of course, the letter went to the wrong place, because the OSS, America's spy operation at the time, could not otherwise find John Wayne, one of the most famous people in America at the time, to tell him that he was hired? Oh, but later Wild Bill found him, did not hire him, but asked if he would snoop around while on his paid USO gig? That is really weird. He was accepted to work for the OSS and even met with Wild Bill Donovan, yet managed to not be employed by the OSS. Weird.

People perceive John Wayne as a cowboy, war hero, etc. when he was none of those things. He was an actor, plain and simple. The general public knows little of John Wayne's personal life. They have a perceived persona that is based on his acting roles.

You are entitled to your opinions. Feel free to suggest a suitable replacement for John Wayne then.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    He’s a famous actor who actually lived in Orange County. Had a nice house on the water in Newport Beach not far from the airport.

The airport was renamed simply to memorialize a famous local resident.

I grew up in Orange County.
    The Newport Beach area is wealthy and traditionally conservative, but just slightly right-of-center.

There really wasn’t anything super-patriotic about any of it.

The airport call letters are SNA - Santa Ana - which is both the “capital” of Orange County and the armpit of it...I was raised in Santa Ana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    He’s a famous actor who actually lived in Orange County. Had a nice house on the water in Newport Beach not far from the airport.

The airport was renamed simply to memorialize a famous local resident.

I grew up in Orange County.
    The Newport Beach area is wealthy and traditionally conservative, but just slightly right-of-center.

There really wasn’t anything super-patriotic about any of it.

The airport call letters are SNA - Santa Ana - which is both the “capital” of Orange County and the armpit of it...I was raised in Santa Ana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He also docked his boat at Newport Beach. He was a very avid boater.

My half brother lives and works in Santa Ana.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I think we may be overlooking something, John Wayne was also a person, as well as an actor. I'm pretty sure he wasn't perfect, and quite sure he made mistakes just like any other person. But I have no doubt about the fact he was a patriotic American, who loved this country.

Which one of us here has never made a mistake, and tried to make up for that mistake?

Be careful about throwing stones when you live in a glass house.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Soldiers get paid too. Just because you get compensation for doing good work, doesnt negate that is was good work for a good cause.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/politicians-demand-john-wayne-airport-191222654.html

When is this stuff ever going to end? I always saw him as a Patriotic Individual who loved our great nation.

Who can forget John Wayne in the Alamo?

Next will be Ronald Reagan.....

Maybe they can name it after Jane Fonda? Desi Arnaz? Nancy Pelosi....

BobK; All,

I have one simple question: WHEN are we patriots going to bring this "renaming" FOOLISHNESS to a SCREECHING HALT & to tell the lunatic leftists to "go pound sand"??

Imo, IF we Americans still value our LIBERTY, that day of reckoning will have to be SOON.

yours, satx

Top Bottom