Join TexasGunTalk

Poacher gets big fine.

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by Moonpie, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 Active Member

Dec 15, 2019
    East Texas
    Every slaughter house, or processing plant that I know of, if it wasn't fit for human consumption, they either made dog food or fertilizer out of it. Horns, hooves, blood and hides were used for something useful. Very little waste.

jordanmills likes this.
  2. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 TGT Addict

Odd that anyone would object to the guy being punished.
    Had he shot a doe to feed his destitute and starving family I might pity him and hope for leniency. He was trophy poaching pure and simple and damn well knew it!

Speeding in a school zone, poaching a deer at night, vandalizing mailboxes, breaking a truck window to steal a gun, shoplifting tools from Lowes........whatever.

I don't know what the respective penalties are but I know I pay with money or jail time if I break the law and get caught red handed.

Where is there cause to debate?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    FireInTheWire and Axxe55 like this.
  3. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 TGT Addict

Reminds me of the local news story of the unemployed Rockport man shooting seagulls on Copano Bay to feed his family.

The game warden felt sorry for the emaciated and disheveled guy and was letting him go, citation free, and said "Just don't you ever let me see you shooting those protected gulls again".

When the officer asked "By the way, what do they taste like???". "Well, more tough and gamy than whooping crane, more like bald eagle" replied the man.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    FireInTheWire and Axxe55 like this.
  4. jordanmills

jordanmills TGT Addict

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Yep. While not causing suffering and waste of life may not be the primary motivator of people running a slaughterhouse (though I'm sure that is an active concern of many involved), every ounce of a carcass that's discarded instead of sold as processed product is money lost. Both ethics and business sense demand as little waste as possible

Axxe55 likes this.
  5. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    No one is objecting to punishment. I believe that the objection is stemming from stripping his rights as a citizen for life over killing a deer. If he was torturing it in some ritualistic Democrat ceremony , or has a record of recidivism then sure, slap a felony on him. If the felony charge is stemming entirely from 1/2” of antler growth, then it is a bullshit charge. Same level as a hate crime is a bullshit add on charge.

6. gdr_11

gdr_11 Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    We had a similar incident in Denton a year or two back with the guy who killed a record buck at night and was also charged with wasting the meat. Although he was charged $50,000+ in fines and restitution, it was still only a Class A misdemeanor and his hunting rights were only suspended for a couple of years. I don't know much about Utah and have no idea how the thought process of their Fish & Game and justice system works.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article196808679.html

7. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 Well-Known

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    in velvet too..........tard

8. phoenix

phoenix Active Member

Sep 10, 2014
    Only in america could you face this type of penalty for shooting a deer yet break into the country and be allowed to walk around free.

Not that i think he should not suffer for poaching. Many species are wiped out because of poachers.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    So I'm not a fan of trophy hunting but... if wasting meat is a factor in charges why won't a game warden let you keep a deer you hit with your car accidentally? Most places I've been they burn the carcass and that strikes me as just a little hypocritical.

10. Moonpie

Moonpie U.S. Rifle M1 caliber .30 Lifetime Member

Because the fvckwits would be running down deer left and right.

TxStetson likes this.