Join TexasGunTalk

Poacher gets big fine.

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by Moonpie, Feb 27, 2020.

1. TX OMFS

TX OMFS TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    No, of course I wouldn't say that. But he killed an animal.

2. TX OMFS

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I wonder about that too. I have waited at least 2 hours, probably 3. Even if it was gut shot and you were worried about the loins there is still a lot of other meat that could be taken. In fact, when I was hunting more often I got to where I didn't gut them. Took them to camp, hung them, skinned them, quartered them, reached behind the guts for the loins, and took backstraps. No need to gut them at all.

3. mongoose

mongoose Member

Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    So you don’t mind rules but you want to make the rules.

4. TX OMFS

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    So animals and people are the same?

5. mongoose

mongoose Member

Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Answer the question.

6. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Your question is comparing asteroids to hemorrhoids.

He is simply saying , barring any other criminal history that would show recidivism , that killing a fucking deer out of season( for whatever reason) should not strip you of your rights as a citizen. Especially over an arbitrary number of inches of antler growth.

Big Green and TX OMFS like this.
  7. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Robin and his merry band agree.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 Professional Troublemaker, and Dog Whisperer!

Dec 15, 2019
    Deep East Texas
    Every state has laws regarding poaching. Game limits and restrictions are based, (supposedly) on the game species conservation. Ethical and responsible hunters spend a small fortune every year to support conservation of healthy game. Poachers are thieves. Simple fact. They are stealing our natural resources.

Are there circumstances that could be factors in deciding the fine or punishment exacted for poaching? IMO, yes there are. And also IMO, there is a big difference between poaching, and making an honest mistake and shooting the wrong animal, due to size of the rack or other variables. Also, a person poaching, to feed their family, is still poaching. Besides, IMO those poaching to feed their families, I doubt a big underlying cause for poaching in current times in most places I would think. And if that were the real reason for poaching, I suspect it would end up being just a fine for the offense. But poaching is still a legal definition of a criminal act.

Wasting the meat, would also be an enhanced charge. I know our local game wardens use it. Then there is intent. Out of season and no hunting license. Yes, intent to illegally harvest a deer.

9. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If someone is hunting to feed a family, I can understand. I have been to that point in my younger years. And I knew full well what would happen if I got caught too.
    Most poachers are thieves. Real simple. And a lot of them are also breaking other laws as well. I have no sympathy for this guy. None.
    That being said and knowing what I do about antler restrictions in Texas and other places, unless Utah is charging big $$ for a tag to take that size, or they can show he is a repeat offender like most poachers, I am torn on the felony charge.
    The article says they caught him with the kill at night. Sounds like shortly after he killed it. Even though August is still a warm month, it cools quicker at night. More than likely, the meat would have been good until well after daylight. Even with a gut shot, the vast majority would be. Meat that fresh doesn't spoil that fast. I do know folks that won't eat game not gutted immediately though.
    All that said. The people in the State, even Texas, pay big money to make sure the game animals are there to enjoy and hunt. Poachers are stealing from all of us. No different than burglary, shoplifting, breaking into an ATM or any other theft.
    I still have no sympathy for him.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BMF500, Axxe55 and jordanmills like this.
  10. BMF500

BMF500 Matthew 10:34 TGT Supporter

Aug 21, 2019
    Pattison
    Not at any packing house I've ever been to. Where are you going?

jordanmills, Axxe55 and Moonpie like this.