• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Guys, I BEG of you - AVOID the tankless units, period! I did 40+ years in commercial water treatment, and we had a LOT of customers (commercial) that jumped on 'em when they came out - the ROI numbers looked SO good.....fast forward four years - and nary a one was still in use. They found out REAL quick that they were temperamental as hell, and required $ervice if you looked at 'em cross-eyed. The residential units are an even BIGGER joke - your gas or electric supply to the unit will HAVE to be upsized, and if you have anything but soft water, you're going to be doing a LOT of descaling on a VERY routine basis. Now that they've been around a while, many of the places that used to tout them are finally admitting that the ROI just isn't there - the added cost of the unit (and maintenance) outweighs their "savings".

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Why does all these installers say HD's stuff(Rheems)is crap even though it has a 12 yr warranty and the stuff sold at the plumber's supply only has a 6yr warranty?

I found a guy then checked out the warranty on what he planned to install so now I'm back to crap and cold showers. I've texted and called so if he shows up tomorrow he'll be SOL and if he wants to go to court I'll show him how the cow ate the cabbage.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Guys, I BEG of you - AVOID the tankless units, period! I did 40+ years in commercial water treatment, and we had a LOT of customers (commercial) that jumped on 'em when they came out - the ROI numbers looked SO good.....fast forward four years - and nary a one was still in use. They found out REAL quick that they were temperamental as hell, and required $ervice if you looked at 'em cross-eyed. The residential units are an even BIGGER joke - your gas or electric supply to the unit will HAVE to be upsized, and if you have anything but soft water, you're going to be doing a LOT of descaling on a VERY routine basis.

I put a tankless in when I built my house. Being new construction, the larger electrical supply was an easy issue to deal with. And I do have soft water. It failed after 17 years, so I replaced it with a new one. No maintenance done in between.

What I liked most about it was that living in a house full of girls, I always had hot water for my shower when we all went somewhere. Everyone got ready at different speeds, so the shower got turned on and 3 females took turns going through it. Just leave it running between people. By the time they were finally done, it was my turn, and I was still ready first. The old tank water heater always left me with a cold shower.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Why does all these installers say HD's stuff(Rheems)is crap even though it has a 12 yr warranty and the stuff sold at the plumber's supply only has a 6yr warranty?

I found a guy then checked out the warranty on what he planned to install so now I'm back to crap and cold showers. I've texted and called so if he shows up tomorrow he'll be SOL and if he wants to go to court I'll show him how the cow ate the cabbage.
    Is the warranty issued parts and labor? HD is just parts. You'll have to change it yourself. My dealings with new appliances is that they are all baked to just last 6 years. That way they can sell you a new one.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I put a tankless in when I built my house. Being new construction, the larger electrical supply was an easy issue to deal with. And I do have soft water. It failed after 17 years, so I replaced it with a new one. No maintenance done in between.

What I liked most about it was that living in a house full of girls, I always had hot water for my shower when we all went somewhere. Everyone got ready at different speeds, so the shower got turned on and 3 females took turns going through it. Just leave it running between people. By the time they were finally done, it was my turn, and I was still ready first. The old tank water heater always left me with a cold shower.

Yours is certainly the exception to the rule - but at 17 years, I'd say you got your $$$ worth. My old tank heater is only 15 years old......lol

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    My water heater is 24 years old. It is a Rheem. I think I got my moneys worth out of it. Going to check the heating elements next week it is near the back door and has water shutoffs and I can hook up a hose and drain it. Still in the research phase on a tankless electrical system. It is just me and the wife at home. larger electrical supply is no problem if needed got plenty of room in the breaker box and if I have to run more wire it can be added easily.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Guys, I BEG of you - AVOID the tankless units, period! I did 40+ years in commercial water treatment, and we had a LOT of customers (commercial) that jumped on 'em when they came out - the ROI numbers looked SO good.....fast forward four years - and nary a one was still in use. They found out REAL quick that they were temperamental as hell, and required $ervice if you looked at 'em cross-eyed. The residential units are an even BIGGER joke - your gas or electric supply to the unit will HAVE to be upsized, and if you have anything but soft water, you're going to be doing a LOT of descaling on a VERY routine basis. Now that they've been around a while, many of the places that used to tout them are finally admitting that the ROI just isn't there - the added cost of the unit (and maintenance) outweighs their "savings".

Installed two whole house units in custom homes I built at the request of the client, one retrofit. So far, and almost ten years down the road, no complaints and clients are still using the same installations.

One of the custom homes was in a $350k straw bale wall residence just outside Austin.

That said, all homes were located in municipalities where Pex was allowed, which made it easy to design a manifold system to feed kitchen, bath's and utility room.

A well designed manifold system makes a big difference on hot water demand delivery times.

Biggest cost was, as you mention, upgrading gas plumbing, electrical demand, and venting ... the latter particularly expensive depending upon location of the unit. Those double walled, stainless vent pipes were pricey.

Would I retrofit my own home? No ...

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Yours is certainly the exception to the rule - but at 17 years, I'd say you got your $$$ worth. My old tank heater is only 15 years old......lol

Being able to take a hot shower after all the females finally finished made it worth the money to me.

But as you mentioned, my soft well water (with a filter system) may have something to do with the longevity. I did an autopsy on the old one when it died just to look and see what the guts looked like. I should have taken pictures. The inside of the tubing and the elements looked like they were only months old.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    There's an "old-school" remedy for high hot water usage.....you put two heaters in series. The #2 heater just kinda loafs along normally, but during high-usage periods, the primary heater at least warms the water, and the second one brings it on up to temperature. Dad taught me that trick as my four sisterswere growing up....lol

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I have two in a series.
    I got replacements,"State", which ran for 17 years but the tanks didn't give out, flooding my house. On the first tank the element failed and we just turned it off. On the second tank, causing this mess, the thermal couple failed and I couldn't get it out to replace it, hence the help call.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom