• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Home Depot doesn't use contractors anymore; they go straight to ARS, who wants to come out and spec the job, for free. Thy will get paid for that "free trip" somehow!

I'm looking for someone with experience to remove & replace two existing water tanks with new ones.

Thanks.
    Texas SOT

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    You'll get quoted $1200 to $1500 per tank for a straight install more if they have to modify things. I installed the water heater at my Dad's. Bought one at home Depot for $500. Also I have used Ritter Plumbing. Joey is a good guy.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Super easy to do yourself. If you can't / don't want to, look at one of those apps or Craigslist for a handyman to come and do it. You buy the stuff, he does the labor.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Pretty easy job to do. Is the hot water heater gas or electric? Sometimes you just need to change out the heating elements in an electric hot water heater. If its a gas hot water heater chances are its the thermocouple or the gas control valve.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Went thru Lowes (hated that) had a new AO Smith electric 40gal installed for my daughter total was 580.00 including their extras required. They hauled away the old heater as well.
    Yeah, I always did 'em myself until 75yo and thought about that old heater full of lime!!

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    @gshayd
    The first tank went down 2-3 years ago(bad element so we shut it down). The thermal couple went out on the second, leading to cold showers all around.
    The neighbor men are betting when the sammichmaker will put me out. They say, "Mickey has complete control of those womenfolk!" I smile and laugh and tell myself they all just feel sorry for me!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    @baboon
    **** yeah they're in the attic. Three stories up and 17 years old. Lots of sediment I'm sure.
    Air temp in my back yard was 97* today.
    I figured as much. Guy I worked my second job with does handyman work. He told me about the daughter & SIL hot water heaters damn near killed him in cool weather in the same deal.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    If you decide to tackle the job yourself, I’m willing to help. It’s not a difficult job at all skill wise, but it’s kinda tough (although not impossible) to do alone. I definitely don’t want to grunt 40 gal tanks to and from the third floor on my own again that’s for sure, and I bet you don’t either:)

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You almost wish they blow up thru the roof so insc can pay someone else to do it.

On the bright side it's hot enough the showers arent really cold. Then again you did mention something about women folk...if they ain't happy....

Part of the issue with a plumber will be if any code updates need to be done, like expansion tanks, relief valves or reducing valves and drainage updates. All cost lots of labor plus extra parts.

Makes tankless on demand units sound great. I'm interested in the small individual bathroom units that are starting to look attractive for saving money even more.

Still waiting on a coin operated one for my daughters bathroom, better yet a card reader that pays the utility direct....A man can dream cant he?

Good luck. I hope its painless as possible.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    @candcallen
    I'm sure ARS will hammer me with update costs.

Any idea what the issue could be if we ignore the updated code stuff? My neighbor did his own and I don't see him doing all that.

I'll be calling Ritter around 8A so I don't have too much longer to wait!

My shooting buddy told me to let him know by 3:30 Wed and he'd bring his tools to work(PM shift at Budweiser)and he'd change them out Thursday morning but I don't want to put that kind of a job on him!

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    @candcallen
    I'm sure ARS will hammer me with update costs.

Any idea what the issue could be if we ignore the updated code stuff? My neighbor did his own and I don't see him doing all that.

I'll be calling Ritter around 8A so I don't have too much longer to wait!

My shooting buddy told me to let him know by 3:30 Wed and he'd bring his tools to work(PM shift at Budweiser)and he'd change them out Thursday morning but I don't want to put that kind of a job on him!

If you use a licensed plumber they will almost certainly have to do new installs to code, depending on your location. DYI not so much, doesn't mean it's not required just that most dont care to mess with it. It would only be an issue if you sell and the buyers insist your recent installation be brought up to code. Possibly an insc issue if something catastrophic happens and they find out it was improperly installed and they try to deny liability. That's rare but not unheard of.

It's kinda like when a hailstorm goes thru and you have hundreds or thousands of homes getting new roofs all at once. They are supposed to pull permits and get inspections depending on the amount of work, repairs vers replacement etc, but only a few do. Most never have an issue and insc companies wont care unless it blows off in 6 months from piss poor work, they might ask questions then.

As for inspectors, there arent enough code or permit people to handle that much Volume of permits and inspections if everyone followed the rules. The back log would be months or years so what they dont know...still you are responsible for following the rules if it came right down to it.

I would just do it my self. They are all easy but good skills to have. Drain then Leave the the old one there till it cools off. Being in the attic you gotta make sure they are empty though as sometimes with the sediment that builds up they wont drain and that's 5 or 6 hundred pounds extra up there . We had to take a hatchet to the last one we changed as it wouldnt drain. It's hard to carry 600 lbs of water heater water and limestone out. Ours was in the garage too so it was easy compared.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom