• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    Well not exactly the first time. I went with a friend once before. But I'll be going solo this time. I'm kind of intimidated. I know gun safety, I've been learning it since I was a kid when I got my first pellet gun. I never treated it like a toy, so a lot of basic gun safety is second nature to me. When I went to the range with my friend that one time I learned pretty much everything else I needed to learn specific to actual firearms. I know how to conduct myself in a range.

It's just this is pretty new to me and I'm not the type to really put myself out there and do new things. They offer a basic training course but I don't feel it's really nessecary. I know pretty much everything they're going to "teach" me. I really wanted someone to go with me, but no one will. I don't know many people and most are anti-gun. So I kinda just have to go on my own.

It's High Noon Indoor Gun Range if it matters. I don't really plan to rent any guns, I recently bought my own and have been familiarizing myself with it. How everything works, how to take it apart, how to clean it. I know most people say to only use good ammo, but for target shooting I basically just bought the cheapest FMJ I could. I bought the gun mostly for self defense and I did not skimp on the ammo for that purpose. I went with Winchester Hollow Point for self defense. But it's not only for self defense, I have always been fascinated with guns.

In the future I definitely plan to expand my collection. 20150320_125034.jpg Probably nothing special but I figured I'd throw in a pic anyways.

If anyone could offer some advice or words of encouragement, It'd be appreciated

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Use common sense and pay attention if you're told anything by the range officer. Also, make sure you don't stand too close to the lane partition - I did on my first trip to a range and wound up with a series of stovepipe jams when my spent shells bounced back into the chamber on my 1911.

And head over to the new member section to say "Hi" and introduce yourself so you feel more at home here.

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    With no experience how do I handle a jam or misfire? The only one I know how to deal with is click but no bang. You keep the gun pointed down range for a good bit, you don't just lower it and assume it won't still go off. Stovepipe jam seems kinda obvious to deal with.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Be sure to drink a lot of booze and hit on any women you see?

Naaaaaaa........... Just kidding.

Relax, it ain't rocket surgery.
    Take your time.
    If you have a mis-fire, keep the gun pointed down range for 30 seconds, then open the action and remove the cartridge.
    Examine the cartridge to determine why it failed to ignite. If nothing is obvious reload it and snap it again.
    If it fails again repeat the count then remove the cartridge and set it aside. Return to your shooting.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yeah, stovepipes are pretty easy to clear. This may not be the "proper" method (because, you know, taught to shoot by hillbillies) but I remove the mag, rack the slide to release the spent cartridge that's jammed in, then I check the mag, reload, and keep going. I learned to stand slightly closer to the left partition to avoid the problem repeating itself.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    When in doubt, ask a range officer for help... Most experienced shooters will catch you have an issue and offer assistance, too. Where are you located?

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    I don't like to give my exact location (paranoia) on the internet but let's just say I can be at the Fred Hartman bridge in about 5 minutes. I live about an hour from downtown Houston.

Do all ranges have a range officer just standing there?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Some ranges have RO's. Others do not.

Focus on making sure you handle your gun safely. Next, keep an eye on the others. Do not get in a hurry. Follow the range rules.

If you get a jam you cannot clear, lay the pistol down on the table (pointed down range, of course) and find the RO. If he is not around, go back to the office and get someone to come help. I do not recommend having another shooter help. Odds are you would be okay, but you could draw an idiot.

Your comfort level will grow with each visit. Just watch for complacency when you get to be an oldtimer.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Looks like you're at Red Bluff n Burke, how much they chargin per hour these days? :green:

If it's a public range or you're paying to shoot, there will be a RO on site.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Make sure the weapon is cased when arriving...unloaded even better, action open even better(for those checking on you the first time). Keep the pistol pointed downrange so the RO isn't having to avoid your sweep. Don't reach in front of the line for anything(unless the range is cold/ceasefire) like a live round, hat , target, glasses that might have taken a flyer.
    Speaking of glasses, have your eyes and ears on before entering the range. Be aware of the range's rules for rapid fire(if that's something you like to try).
    Heck, gun people are friendly enough...you might meet a regular who is about to enter the range and can show you the ropes.

At a buck or more for every three rounds fired, take your time. If the prices are reasonable, buy your targets and ammo at the range(unless their prices are so high that you feel like they aren't needing your business...I don't know the range you speak of).

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I really wanted someone to go with me, but no one will.
    Uh, no.

Just ask.

I might be able to make it, though it's a bit of a drive for me. There might be someone closer.

Seriously. Ask.

Half of us are looking for an excuse to get out of the house most of the time, anyway. :)

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    Problem is I'm on kind of a strict schedule. I work graveyards so I have to go and be home pretty early. It also has to line up with days my wife works nights or no one's here to watch my son. Would love to just be able to drop everything and go whenever, but I can't. I have very narrow windows when I can go do things for myself. Tomorrow is the first one I've had since I bought the gun. Could be another month before one opens again, too. I also don't feel exactly right just asking people to do something like that with no standing here. I just joined today. I'd really love to meet up with people at some point in the future though. But I've pretty much decided I'm taking my opportunity while I have it. Because I honestly don't know when I'll get another.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well not exactly the first time. I went with a friend once before. But I'll be going solo this time. I'm kind of intimidated. I know gun safety, I've been learning it since I was a kid when I got my first pellet gun. I never treated it like a toy, so a lot of basic gun safety is second nature to me. When I went to the range with my friend that one time I learned pretty much everything else I needed to learn specific to actual firearms. I know how to conduct myself in a range.

It's just this is pretty new to me and I'm not the type to really put myself out there and do new things. They offer a basic training course but I don't feel it's really nessecary. I know pretty much everything they're going to "teach" me. I really wanted someone to go with me, but no one will. I don't know many people and most are anti-gun. So I kinda just have to go on my own.

It's High Noon Indoor Gun Range if it matters. I don't really plan to rent any guns, I recently bought my own and have been familiarizing myself with it. How everything works, how to take it apart, how to clean it. I know most people say to only use good ammo, but for target shooting I basically just bought the cheapest FMJ I could. I bought the gun mostly for self defense and I did not skimp on the ammo for that purpose. I went with Winchester Hollow Point for self defense. But it's not only for self defense, I have always been fascinated with guns.

In the future I definitely plan to expand my collection. View attachment 33218 Probably nothing special but I figured I'd throw in a pic anyways.

If anyone could offer some advice or words of encouragement, It'd be appreciated

They offer a free class? I'd take it, you might learn something.

It never hurts to cover the fundamentals anyways.

Enjoy and welcome.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    They offer a free class?
    No, it's $80 for their most basic "this is how it all works" class.

ETA: However, I notice that one of their monthly courses is taught by an instructor I hold in the highest regard. I'd never heard of the place but now I think it's worth checking out.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom