• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Missus has LTC and currently carries a 9mm semi-auto. She loves to shoot my SAA Colt clone (45LC) and was thinking about a revolver. She carries in her purse so lightweight is a key. I was thinking a .38 would be about right and a snubby type? Anyway, is there any range that has a variety of handguns (especially revolvers) so we can try a couple? We are members of Bandera Gun Club and they don't offer this type thing.
    Hurley's Gold

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Apr 15, 2013
    Please when you get her to shoot a lightweight revolver for the first time, don’t load it with SD ammo or she may start disliking revolvers as fast as she started liking them

wiredgeorge

Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    I don't have much experience with .38 but do understand loads make a big difference; suspect light loads are what would be used for paper and then load with self-defense loads for carry. That is pretty much what we do for cycling any rounds, isn't it?

00-Guy

Jul 27, 2011
    San Antonio
    If you are unwilling or unable to make the Spring Reunion, both Nardis and Mission Ridge rent guns. You’ll have to use their ammo, but you can rent several guns and shoot that box.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Apr 15, 2013
    Yep..I would make sure she has lower power practice ammo when she first try's it at the range.
    First impression needs to be positive

Air weight and light weight revovers are not nessesarily fun range guns.

I've said this before , but it's a good basic demonstration of Newtons 3rd Law.

If it were me...I would try and introduce her to a larger frame revolver and work down to the lightweight so she can get used to it.

Eventually she or anyone carrying one, should practice with the SD ammo before carrying the weapon of course

It just helps to start lighter and work up to it.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Yep..I would make sure she has lower power practice ammo when she first try's it at the range.

If it were me...I would try and introduce her to a larger frame revolver and work down to the lightweight so she can get used to it.

Eventually she or anyone carrying one, should practice with the SD ammo before carrying the weapon of course

I totally agree. My other half carries a S&W model 36. She tried an airweight and an older model 37 and just did not like them with SD loads. She handles the model 36 well and shoots it much more confidently.
    Also, and I know some of you will disagree, but I load it with Winchester Silver Tip HP's, not the +P's. That's what she likes and when I've tried to bump it up to +P she complains of hand pain and develops a flinch.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    My wife won't touch my Ruger LCR in 38 even though I have loaded some really light loads for her. She is a great shot and handles almost anything except these light weight snubbies. I don't mind 38 regular but I don't like +p in this gun. So, you are smart to let her try shooting some before buying. My heavy 38/357 revolvers are no problem but the laws of physics can not be defied.

wiredgeorge

Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    My wife won't touch my Ruger LCR in 38 even though I have loaded some really light loads for her. She is a great shot and handles almost anything except these light weight snubbies. I don't mind 38 regular but I don't like +p in this gun. So, you are smart to let her try shooting some before buying. My heavy 38/357 revolvers are no problem but the laws of physics can not be defied.

Wife loves my SAA Colt clone made my Sauer & Sons of Germany; 45LC. It has very little kick. She doesn't like to shoot my Chiappa 1873 SAA in 17HMR which feels kind of crude beside its big brother. She expressed interest in a wheel gun. I have only owned one .38 and it was a Rossi; cylinder fit was OK and trigger was OK but it was not great as far as accuracy if I recall and I traded for another semi-auto as memory serves. Just ran light target loads and i don't recall it being particularly brutal. If my dim memory serves, it may have used .357 as well? I have never liked that caliber as I don't enjoy practicing with that round... even in a large frame revolver but I don't have a ton of experience so there may be some great ones out there.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The LCR in .38 only weighs 13.5 oz. I can not shoot those birdshot shells except as round 1 as the shot cartridge will migrate and lock the cylinder. You can't really crimp those shot shells. They are fine in a heavier gun but who wants to carry heavy. Physics.

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX

Agreed. S&W Models 10 or 64 would be great for an introduction to DA revolver shooting. I've had plenty of trigger time with both. I have a Ruger LCRX, definitely not a pleasure to shoot.

Top Bottom