• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpstanley3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Burton, tx
    Allllrrright. This is my first post on this forum and I've got one question that i can't really find a definate answer about. IF I carry my mossberg 500 persuader with a pistol grip stock and 20" barrel behind/under the back seat of my pickup...is this legal? Now remember that I'm 19. In my home precient I'm not worried about much of anything at all...I know the judge....but what if I get pulled over in Houston? just wondering......

Jared
    DK Firearms

jpstanley3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Burton, tx
    Well see what made me wonder was that i was told that you had to be 21 to purchase it because of the pistol grip.....makes no good sense because I can buy the shotgun and only have to be 18 for that but I could order the pistol grip online with a debit card when I was 16....just making sure. Not like that's gonna keep me from carrying it

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Again, Texas does not regulate "ownership". It regulates possession, transfer, carry, etc.

There is no Texas law prohibiting you from having that shotgun in your vehicle as long as the overall length is at least 26"

Not cool to be bragging about, "knowing the judge". That could backfire in your face.

You could not purchase that from a dealer though. It is not a "shotgun" by federal definition. It is not a Short barreled shotgun or "any other weapon" either.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    . . . . It is not a "shotgun" by federal definition. It is not a Short barreled shotgun or "any other weapon" either.

What do you mean by this. I know he said it was a pistol gripped shotgun. I guess does the federal definition of "shotgun" require it to have a traditional stock? (I'm assuming he means that the gun just has a pistol grip, and no stock. If it is not a "shotgun," then does it still have to be 18" barrel and a 26" length? Would that make it a pistol? I'm just a little confused. Sorry.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    USC Title 18, chapter 921(a)

(3) The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
    (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
    (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
    (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

(5) The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

(7) The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

§ 922. Unlawful acts

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver— (1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

Since the described pistol grip mossberg is not INTENDED to be fired from the shoulder it is not a shotgun. Since it is not a shotgun or rifle it cannot be transferred to a person under 21.

It is not a handgun either;

(29) The term “handgun” means— (A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
    (B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

jpstanley3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Burton, tx
    Oooook......page 1. Keep it simple please. Yes I know there are some high strung officers out there but I shouldn't get thrown in the county house for it?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Oooook......page 1. Keep it simple please. Yes I know there are some high strung officers out there but I shouldn't get thrown in the county house for it?

What are you talking about? You said you were puzzled because someone told you that you could not buy that shotgun from a dealer, but we told you that you could carry it. I have showed you that BOTH of those statements are true.

Hope this helps.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Since the described pistol grip mossberg is not INTENDED to be fired from the shoulder it is not a shotgun. Since it is not a shotgun or rifle it cannot be transferred to a person under 21.

It is not a handgun either;

How would my Mossberg Persuader, which has a removable stock, be classified? I guess since it comes with a stock, it is considerable capable of being shoulder fired; like the underfold on my AK...

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    This is one of those screwball sections of federal law. Anything not a "Rifle" or "Shotgun" requires 21 to buy from a dealer, including such items as AR-15 receivers.
    I'm not sure what TX law is on pistol-grip shotguns, probably isn't any.
    If you want to get into a really screwy area of age and the law, try NFA stuff: You can make a lot of stuff at 18-21 that you can't buy - at all - if you're under 21.

Eli

Top Bottom