• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    So, register your braced pistols as SBRs for free and then you can replace the brace with a stock?

Sounds like the kind of deal that a lot of people would comply with?

The other options being,
    1) go bare buffer tube and keep it a pistol
    2) replace short uppers with long uppers to make your pistols rifles
    3) just don't comply

Where do we find the hill to die on?

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I might give them the benefit of the doubt on an AR lower to be able to brace pistol uppers and if they come for it I'm only out an AR lower.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Eat A Dick
    1ED570CB-1BE8-4C3E-9AD9-3482D6D8E15D.jpeg

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I see it as a free tax stamp guise only to register and confiscate later. Being an NFA item now, you just can't claim you sold it.

Technically, The pistol brace is the NFA item not the gun. I have one on a Kel-Tec PLR-16 pistol. A couple minutes and remove 4 screws, it's back to being a stock pistol just as it came out of the box.

That's like saying I can't sell any of my gun's that I shoot suppressor's on. The suppressor's are the NFA item, not the gun's they are attached too.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    But don't you register the reciever when making it an SBR?

That makes it different than a supressor.
    Yes, but until you register the braced pistol as an SBR, all you have to do to keep it a pistol is take off the brace...

I would guess possession of a pistol and a brace unassembled would be constructive possession of an SBR.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Yes, but until you register the braced pistol as an SBR, all you have to do to keep it a pistol is take off the brace...

I would guess possession of a pistol and a brace unassembled would be constructive possession of an SBR.

I believe there's more to their test than that at this point - if your gun is too heavy you'd still fail. If you don't have "approved" sighting systems you fail. This is straight up an attack on rifle-caliber pistols, not just braces. Its disguised as going after braced pistols, but they'll just move the goal posts. Buffer tubes will now be "shoulderable" and thus considered stocks. Just wait. Was not that long ago that some moose knuckle wrote ATF asking if it was OK for them to put frickin rubber stoppers on the end of their buffer tubes and that sparked debate on if that was now a stock.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I believe there's more to their test than that at this point - if your gun is too heavy you'd still fail. If you don't have "approved" sighting systems you fail. This is straight up an attack on rifle-caliber pistols, not just braces. Its disguised as going after braced pistols, but they'll just move the goal posts. Buffer tubes will now be "shoulderable" and thus considered stocks. Just wait. Was not that long ago that some moose knuckle wrote ATF asking if it was OK for them to put frickin rubber stoppers on the end of their buffer tubes and that sparked debate on if that was now a stock.
    The sighting system thing just means no short eye relief sights, but I'm sure there will be no end to ATF redefining features...

It's not just rifle caliber pistols, the rule would also affect braced short barreled PCCs.

Hell, Dems are trying to ban "assault rifles"!

SBRing your pistols for free would keep them legal even in a confiscatory "assault rifle" ban.

What I fear is that this new rule will lead to many complying, when the opposite is what's needed.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Folks should wait and see how this will work.

I read the OMB request and it refers to a notice in the Federal Register to which BATFE says no one replied. Either notice hasn't been posted yer, or it was posted secretly (so no one could reply to it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Folks should wait and see how this will work.

I read the OMB request and it refers to a notice in the Federal Register to which BATFE says no one replied. Either notice hasn't been posted yer, or it was posted secretly (so no one could reply to it.

Or…the request is anticipating a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) planned to be posted in the federal register.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I wonder how long until this ends up in court.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Sadly, that is exactly where it needs to end up at. But with states like New York and California, and along with our own president pretty much openly defying the SCOTUS rulings, I'm not so sure that is even a recourse.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Sadly, that is exactly where it needs to end up at. But with states like New York and California, and along with our own president pretty much openly defying the SCOTUS rulings, I'm not so sure that is even a recourse.
    I respect the scotus. They trump all, and any "president" that defies them is just breaking the law and if you follow their orders, you're breaking the law too. **** unjust laws written by tyrants.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom