• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Anybody hunt the public WMAs down in Anderson or Cherokee counties?

I used to hunt down there a little back in the late 80s when they started the Type 2 WMAs.

I have a some acreage with plenty of hogs, deer, & turkey, but I’d like to have some deep woods to roam and maybe pot some rabbits or squirrels. Provided it’s not too crowded (which probably means no visits during deer season.)

I’m in Fort Worth, so i guess if there’s anything within say 150 miles, I’m open.
    Hurley's Gold

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    WMA hunting kinda scares me.
    What was it that scared you the most?
    1) To many people?
    2) All the trashed beer & liquor bottles everywhere?
    3) People with their very first gun & no clue?
    4) Long way if you got shot to medical treatment?
    5) People staying up way to late @ night partying, going out phuced up with a gun?
    6) Wondering why you have not seen a Game Warden?
    7) Small game & birds blown up with high powered rifle?
    8) Wondering if all your shit & vehicle will be there when you get back?

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Sad to say, but @baboon is correct. Way too many idiots on public land shooting at pretty much anything that moves.

You would be safer, and energy spent, ahead in finding a lease than hunting public land.

How much are season leases going for these days? I’ve got plenty of bigger game to hunt, just not a lot of room to roam (30 acres) and the closest thing to small game is armadillos.

Hmm, maybe Matador, though I doubt there’s anything in the way of small game. Rattlesnakes?

I went there for a late-season quail hunt back in the 90s when I had a good bird dog. Had the place to myself. It’s a haul, but a pretty drive, and pass by some historic ranches like the Four Sixes. Also about the quietest day of my life. The only human-made sound was my shotgun.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    1) To many people?
    5) People staying up way to late @ night partying, going out phuced up with a gun?

All the above!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When I hunted Type 2 is was with The Village Idiot and his then young son. As we enjoyed our fire and supper we watched a van searching for a place to park. As the doors opened trash mainly beer cans & bottles spilled out.

I cuss way too much and these fools had me wondering. They attempted to start a fire, but were to drunk or stupid. Eventually a couple of them wandered over to our fire. It was going to snow that night and a fire was necessary. After a while one asked if he could borrow our axe to cut firewood.

It was the Idiots axe and he said sure as long as they brought it back. The guy without the axe said they would return it as they murdered us with it. The Village Idiot and his son were both freaking out over the comment as they walked off. I told them both not to shit themselves as I had my hand on my S&W model 49 the whole time.

We watched them for a while hoping one would chop off a toe as they struggled to get a fire. They opened up a 3 pound package of smoked sausage and hung it about like ornaments for a tree. I cooked pie iron cherry pies for dessert as they passed the bong.

I built up the fire as snow flurries started to fall. I turned in before the idiot and his son. Neither of them had a proper sleeping bag & the fire was warmer. When I got up to build up the fire and make coffees they were long gone and the axe was were it was when they came.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Scary stuff, that.
    What ever happened to the Village Idiot? Did he relocate to another village?
    He died like 10 years ago. He had walking pneumonia & kidney stones at the same time(he got kidney stones pretty regularly). He took his Hydrocodone an hour before he should have and never woke up. Between the drugs & pneumonia his breathing was restricted enough to kill him.

His son called me & said dad's gone! I was like were the phuc did he go? He was late 40's early 50's when he died. The kid should have made out pretty decent on insurance money, but y'all know what they say about a fathers son!

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    1) To many people?
    The game wardens probably know to stay away too.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom