• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    San Leon Texas
    Yeah, I was trying to make a buck or two, so I'd buy a piece of gear that would fit the need for a particular job.

Plus, with digital, if you try to stay " Up to date " with camera's you'll be dropping a minimum of $2k every six months. ( I ended up with four different cameras:banghead: )

I'm trying to get myself back into it again. I suppose I should combine both of my "shooting" hobbies.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    I recently resisted getting a 5D mkII body, instead opting for an MSAR STG-556, eotech for it, another RIA 1911 tactical and wilson upgrades for it. although it's a nicer full-frame body I talked myself out of it on the basis that my ability has yet to meet the gear I have. maybe in a year or so I'll spend entirely too much on the 1Ds or something.

Vance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    San Leon Texas
    I believe I read where you have the 50D ?

If so, that should work for you just fine until the shutter gives out.

I'm still working with the 30D, with my 10D as backup.

My suggestion, invest in lens. They outlast the camera body and can be used with anything (as long as you stick with the same brand body) you may get in the future.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    oh yeah, I put more emphasis on lenses and technique than body, though full frame would be nice. I have the 50D kit lens 28-135/2.8 IS that I use for all the product type photography, a 50/1.4 IS that I use as the walking around lens, and an older 75-300/4 that I hardly touch. I had a 50/1.8 that I gave away once I got the 1.4, it was novel but the servo was slow and inaccurate, noisy, and were it attached to the body was entirely plastic.

What I'd like next is a macro, looking at the tamron 90mm. it seems to be some quality glass at a reasonable price, and they can be had for even less lightly used on keh.com. I'd rather the Canon macro but I don't know if I could justify the cost.

Vance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    San Leon Texas
    What I'd like next is a macro, looking at the tamron 90mm. it seems to be some quality glass at a reasonable price, and they can be had for even less lightly used on keh.com. I'd rather the Canon macro but I don't know if I could justify the cost.

Mike,
    My best suggestion that I could give you is to find a local camera store that has that lens, and the Canon. Take your camera body in the store with you and see if they will allow you to test both lenses out with your camera. Go home, transfer the images over to your computer, check the images out, enlarge as much as is necessary so that you can see the details. Then make your decision.

The reason I suggest this is that if you go cheap , you will eventually go quality and have wasted the money " you saved " by the cost of both lens. :banghead:

If you can't afford the better lens right now, wait, and save up to get the higher quality lens later. You will end up doing it eventually anyway.

txtrader682

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Arlington
    Very nice work... I am a photography buff myself. Half of the battle is understanding light and what it does to your subject and what you hope to gain out of the images that you have taken. The other portion is understanding the camera you are using, which in some cases can cause more problems then not.

You my friend have an eye for your subject and understanding the lighting techniques magnifies that even more. Keep up the excellent work...

On a side note, have you ever considered submitting some of your work as desktop wallpaper?... Just a thought.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    If your thinking of an upgrade in a pro body you better move quickly, The Japan disaster has closed both Cannon and Nikon production plants in Japan.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Fine grain 35mm still trumps the best digital.

Yes, film still trumps digital. I use medium format. About 20 years ago when my friend would tell me that the Hassy he used was the model they took to the moon, I would tell him that if it were a Bronica, they would have brought it back. ;)

Top Bottom