• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jme1990je

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2015
    Looking for some opinions on how I should follow up on a 4473 denial today.

Sorry for the long post, trying to be as complete with info as possible.

I am a permanent resident (GC holder) and have been since 2016.

Today, after much (years) research on what pistol I wanted, I set out to buy my first one.
    Filled out 4473, checking, double checking everything, handed over license and green card and started the wait. I was fully expecting a "delayed" response and wasn't going to be upset about it. But DENIED?
    Got back home, used the NTN number and filed for reason for denial and it came back within 6 minutes stating that it was due to Section 922(g)(5) (A): “A person who, being an alien, is illegally or unlawfully in the United States.”

Immediately I thought maybe I had fat fingered a number when putting in my USCIS A# so I called the FFL to see if he could repeat it back to me so I could verify, but they wouldn't. He just told me to come back on Monday and fill out a new form, it will be ok.

Do I have to appeal the NICS decision? Or can I just go back and hope for the best?
    I'm completely confused as all my time here in the US has been legal, within visa terms and now my current GC is a 10 year card. DHS E-verify always verifies my status correctly. Never had an issue with law enforcement. Address on license and with USCIS is current, I even had proof of address with me in the form of vehicle reg. just in case.

Any opinion is welcomed.
    Texas SOT

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    1611456295892.png

Not sure if this helps.
    Also, is it possible the FFL entered the information in incorrectly?

Jme1990je

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2015
    View attachment 242076

Not sure if this helps.
    Also, is it possible the FFL entered the information in incorrectly?

It does from a legality stand point, I guess I just don’t know where the system is messed up.
    I fall under the big green boxes, so by NICS standards I’m good.

Maybe the FFL put something in wrong, but I filled it out on the computer. They had my DL and GC in the office with them so if I made a mistake the should have caught it.
    They didn’t come and go over it with me before the came back with the denial.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I’ve never ran a NICS check for someone with a GC but I’ll offer to run the check for you and see what it comes back with if you would like. Just send me a PM with a pic of your GC and DL with current address. Also include date and place of birth.
    This way, if it comes back with “proceed” I’ll give you the NTN that your dealer can use and you can be on your way to the shootin range with your new baby.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Just for grins, you might want to try it again. I've heard some stories about people getting denied one day, then ok the next. Not sure if it was because of the NICS system oddities, or someone pushing the wrong button at the FFL

Jme1990je

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2015
    I don’t particularly understand the system if I’m honest, despite all my reading. A bit different than England where everything is run once for your license and you’re good to go for 5 years!

Does a denial impact you in anyway except from purchasing that day?

I think it may be a USCIS/DHS issue. A similar thing happened when I renewed my DL. It wouldn’t process and they couldn’t verify my legal status. I called DHS and they hadn’t updated my file almost 2 years after I received my green card. I wonder if it’s the same problem?

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I don’t particularly understand the system if I’m honest, despite all my reading. A bit different than England where everything is run once for your license and you’re good to go for 5 years!

Welllllll, if you have a TX License To Carry, you won’t have to bother with NICS either for 4, later 5 years, either. Just fill out the transfer form and you’re good. And obviously you can get said license even as a green card holder. No more automatic “delay”.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I’ve never ran a NICS check for someone with a GC but I’ll offer to run the check for you and see what it comes back with if you would like. Just send me a PM with a pic of your GC and DL with current address. Also include date and place of birth.
    This way, if it comes back with “proceed” I’ll give you the NTN that your dealer can use and you can be on your way to the shootin range with your new baby.

I wouldn't do that. Your IOI will have a copy of all your NICS transactions on your next audit. They will expect to see a matching 4473 for each NTN number.

A customer coming in with an NTN from another FFL should raise some red flags for the dealer. I know you're trying to help the OP out but don't put yourself in a bind doing so. I wouldn't chance it with the ATF.
    419ade72393bcb6d2f6fc9269cd8ec5a.jpg

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    This is absolutely a very bad idea.
    I wouldn't do that. Your IOI will have a copy of all your NICS transactions on your next audit. They will expect to see a matching 4473 for each NTN number.

A customer coming in with an NTN from another FFL should raise some red flags for the dealer. I know you're trying to help the OP out but don't put yourself in a bind doing so. I wouldn't chance it with the ATF.
    419ade72393bcb6d2f6fc9269cd8ec5a.jpg
    This.
    When I worked for an FFL, this WOULD get reported to ATF.
    Welllllll, if you have a TX License To Carry, you won’t have to bother with NICS either for 4, later 5 years, either. Just fill out the transfer form and you’re good. And obviously you can get said license even as a green card holder. No more automatic “delay”.
    This is a much better recommendation. DPS will do a much better investigation to see if you are eligible than what is reported to the NICS system.
    Either the NICS automated system made a mistake, for whatever reason, their records are faulty(they frequently are on denials), or you or the dealer made a mistake on the form.
    If you want to try again, I would try a dealer that uses paper forms and read VERY carefully when you fill it out. The dealer calls a person as well. Not the automated system. Actual gun stores in Austin or near larger military bases should be more familiar with green card holders.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom