• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oz15

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    SETX
    Interesting video. Seems they pulled a group of people who were for the most part far from the idea of purchasing/owning a firearm - with the exception of the one gentleman. I like the video for the introduction to firearms for new people. But if I were proactively trying to get people to join the gun owning community, I would start with a .22 pistol or a full size pistol or revolver in a small, less powerful caliber. I always wonder why people try to make new shooters by having them shoot microcompacts/subcompact pistols and or large calibers - anything 9mm or larger. I would think for most -it is going to have the opposite effect - they're going to shy away from firearms probably. Don't get me wrong, I laugh when I see the vids of people who have no clue shoot 12ga or larger shotguns or shoot .357mag revolvers or .45 auto... but I still think it's a terrible way to try and gain more support for the shooting sports. Entertaining video though.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    You are so right. Give the novice who has never shot any firearm a win right off. I favor them sitting down with a sandbag rest, target close enough to almost touch, .22LR pistol and/or rifle. And be the only shooter on the firing line.

They can't miss.

We want them to come back for more shooting and can move up in caliber and/or shooting positions and distance to target later.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    New shooters have A LOT racing around in their head already (breath control, sight alignment, sight picture, grip, finger placement, trigger squeeze, etc...), so giving them a large, blank piece of paper to hit helps build confidence. I use flip chart paper. It's large and blank - no distractions, no expectations or judgements. As long as the first shot goes down range, I don't really care where on the paper it hit. I just want them to do everything safely, get over the 'shock' and then I can start making corrections.

.22s are great for new shooters and folks that are timid. - just have to make sure that the pistol and ammo are reliable. Sounds like common sense, but I've seen more than a few folks trying to teach with big name 22s that are jam-o-matics (Sig Mosquito comes to mind). That's fine if you want to teach mag changes and/or tap-rack drills, but not for those we are trying to bring into the fold.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    New shooters have A LOT racing around in their head already (breath control, sight alignment, sight picture, grip, finger placement, trigger squeeze, etc...), so giving them a large, blank piece of paper to hit helps build confidence. I use flip chart paper. It's large and blank - no distractions, no expectations or judgements. As long as the first shot goes down range, I don't really care where on the paper it hit. I just want them to do everything safely, get over the 'shock' and then I can start making corrections.

.22s are great for new shooters and folks that are timid. - just have to make sure that the pistol and ammo are reliable. Sounds like common sense, but I've seen more than a few folks trying to teach with big name 22s that are jam-o-matics (Sig Mosquito comes to mind). That's fine if you want to teach mag changes and/or tap-rack drills, but not for those we are trying to bring into the fold.

Yes, blank piece of paper, paper shopping bag, paper plate etc. No target just hit the paper.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Interesting, almost all CLOSED the eyes at the bang. Big problem for shooting.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Was there a lot of 'brass to the face' or was that an optical illusion?

Also, the guy with the dreads didn't close his eyes upon finishing a shot, for the most part...

Top Bottom