• ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Some interesting facts here.
    Police: People Caught With Weapons At Houston Airports Avoid Jail - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston

The entire statement from the Harris County District Attorney's Office reads as follows:"Under Texas law, a person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon in or into a secured area of an airport. It is not enough to simply prove that the person possessed the weapon -- Texas law also requires a prosecutor to prove that the person was aware he or she was in possession of the weapon.
    DK Firearms

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Good for them. I'm actually surprised that they aren't ridiculously gung ho for these things. I cannot see myself doing it with a gun, but I could easily see myself walking up through the screening with my Kershaw Tanto Blur. Damn thing is ALWAYS in my pocket.

And......is the screening area the secure area of an airport or is the area after you get through screening? May seem like semantics, but it would seem to me that if the screeners are doing their jobs, you shouldn't be able to get to the secure portion of an airport with a gun or knife, unless you are seriously trying to get it by security (in which case, your ass is gonna be grass and you were asking for it).

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    It pisses me off that the news stations is wondering; "why aren't they arresting these people??"
    It's common sense to me that if it's an innocent mistake and no harm was done, that they get a fine/ticket/whatever, but jail is not something taxpayers need to be burdened with paying for in these cases. I'm certain that they had to turn over whatever weapon that they had with them, so they paid for their mistake IMO.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Harris County prosecutors said, "This office will not criminally prosecute people who make innocent mistakes."

What a change in attitude towards gun owners in just a few years from Harris.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Wow, when I travel I always know what's on my body before going through screening! I would hope someone carrying a firearm would be a little more cognizant of that fact especially when getting ready to enter the secure area of an airport! Heck, if they're not paying attention to it there; then where else are they going that may not be legal to carry?!?

But I can also understand an honest mistake, and it's good to see the Harris County prosecutors realizing it as well. However, the examples of unruly passengers is more deliberate, and those people should face charges for their acts...

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    It's good to see that the prosecutor isn't capitalizing on this. Too many are displaying what I refer to as predatory prosectuting tactics. Where the goals are not to see that justice is served but rather seek convictions so that they mad pad their resume, for when they run for judge. It does seem a little careless to go the airport and forget your carring, but for those of us who carry everyday, taking your CCW is as natural as tying your shoes. So I can see how that happens. To the person who commented " makes you wonder where else their carrying illegally" I personaly don't care where anybody carries so long their intent is just personal protection. The enteir concept of not being allowed to carry in certain places seems somewhat ridicoulus to me, as if to think just because I were to find myself inside a bank with a gun, I might rob it on impulse? Absurd way to think of things, dangerously close to the whole "guns turn just men into criminals".

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    FWIW, I have hesitated to carry a gun to the airport, just because I don't want to be on the defense side of a criminal charge--whether I am right or not. I just picked my wife up at Houston Intercontinental Airport. I parked in the Terminal B garage and walked directly into the baggage pickup. Since I was pretty early, I decided to stop in at the HPD substation which happened to be on that same floor. After first explaining that I was a CHL holder but not carrying a weapon, I asked what the law was on carrying at the airport. The officer told me, "It's OK anywhere except the secured areas past the screening area. Yes, it's OK to have it here in Baggage Claim or the ticketing and check in upstairs." I commented that rather than take a risk, I left my handgun in the safe at home. To that the officer replied, "It's not doing you much good there, is it?"

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    He's right, but I did the same thing when picking my significant other up from the airport a couple weeks back. And good attitude from one of our peace officers. Glad to hear these kind of stories. I

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    FWIW, I have hesitated to carry a gun to the airport, just because I don't want to be on the defense side of a criminal charge--whether I am right or not. I just picked my wife up at Houston Intercontinental Airport. I parked in the Terminal B garage and walked directly into the baggage pickup. Since I was pretty early, I decided to stop in at the HPD substation which happened to be on that same floor. After first explaining that I was a CHL holder but not carrying a weapon, I asked what the law was on carrying at the airport. The officer told me, "It's OK anywhere except the secured areas past the screening area. Yes, it's OK to have it here in Baggage Claim or the ticketing and check in upstairs." I commented that rather than take a risk, I left my handgun in the safe at home. To that the officer replied, "It's not doing you much good there, is it?"

He's right, but I did the same thing when picking my significant other up from the airport a couple weeks back. And good attitude from one of our peace officers. Glad to hear these kind of stories. I
    Not illegal to carry in the non-secure area. No more reason to leave your gun in the car here than there is when you go to the grocery store.

Top Bottom