• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arod0525

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Been looking into Traeger pellet smoker and been thinking if its worth it. Im use to the traditional wood burner but been thinking one of these might be fun to give a try. Any reccomendations or negatives that come from a pellet smoker?

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I bought a Pit Boss, with half a pellet smoker and half a LP grill. If I had it to do over again, I would probably just bought a larger smoker. In addition to smoking meat, I also use the smoker it to cook steaks. Steaks cooked over a wood fire win every time. It is fantastic having the hot areas and cooler areas available. It is possible because you can open a sliding screen over the actual fire. The fire is in a stainless cup and can be very hot. Opening or closing the sliding screen allows it to be a cooker and a smoker.
    If you have used a charcoal or LP grill in the past then you will need to read up recommended ways of doing things. You will also need to clean it fairly often, like every 3 or 4 uses. I just vacuum mine out with a shop-vac and clean any stragglers off of the grills.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    If that's what will bring happieness to your life do it. I recently assembled a rifle that I don't plan on shooting, just because I don't have a gun I didn't shoot. Next will be an ACOG for it.

lbbf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    The only advantage to pellet is ease of use. Granted it is a HUGE advantage. You dial in your temp and forget it. My experience is the food is really good but I like the flavors off my BGE more. I find controlling how much smoke is difficult with a pellet grill. Its either a lot or very little. My pellet seems to dry out the meat more as well. I got the rectec 340 so I could take it camping. For that use I love it.

Arod0525

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2020
    East Texas
    If that's what will bring happieness to your life do it. I recently assembled a rifle that I don't plan on shooting, just because I don't have a gun I didn't shoot. Next will be an ACOG for it.
    I like the way you think! Happiness just happens to be a smoked brisket for me right now haha

Arod0525

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2020
    East Texas
    The only advantage to pellet is ease of use. Granted it is a HUGE advantage. You dial in your temp and forget it. My experience is the food is really good but I like the flavors off my BGE more. I find controlling how much smoke is difficult with a pellet grill. Its either a lot or very little. My pellet seems to dry out the meat more as well. I got the rectec 340 so I could take it camping. For that use I love it.
    I am right there with you man. I love and will always prefer the traditional way of smoking but the convenience is really the selling point on these pellet smokers to begin with. Also, my wife is wanting to start cooking dinner on the grill and I think I rather her fire up a pellet smoker than my big stick burner haha

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    For years I was a smoker snob. Nothing but stick burners. I have now had a pellet grill/smoker for a year and half, and I don't see me ever going back. Also, my wife has breathing problems, and would choke up anytime I lit my smoker, and anytime I brought meat in the house afterwards. For some reason, she has no problems with the pellet smoker as long as the smoke isn't blowing into the house.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    For years I was a smoker snob. Nothing but stick burners. I have now had a pellet grill/smoker for a year and half, and I don't see me ever going back. Also, my wife has breathing problems, and would choke up anytime I lit my smoker, and anytime I brought meat in the house afterwards. For some reason, she has no problems with the pellet smoker as long as the smoke isn't blowing into the house.
    Must say- I’m currently and have been a smoker snob. My method of smoking is time time consuming, sometimes messy, and a pain in the ass thatI truly enjoy. As what was said earlier- if it makes ya happy- do it. The food will be good. Maybe not AS good because it’s missing that love. Bit good nonetheless.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I have considered a pellet smoker for awhile now. But alas my wife bought me a new offset smoker for Christmas the year before last when I was recovering from neck surgery. She apparently didn’t like my New Braunfels Black Diamond anymore.

Last year our gas grill bit the dust (it was a prize from a Home Depot Promotional event that lasted 3-4 years). So for my birthday this year I got a gas/charcoal grill. Uses propane on one side and charcoal on the other side as well as a gas burner on the side.

I don’t mind tending the smoker as needed for briskets and such. It is part of the process checking it and adding wood as needed.

Maybe one day I will get a vertical pellet smoker.

Evictor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    US
    I would say go for it. You're not going to turn out authentic pit style que but for the lazy/easy cooks it's fine especially if you're the type that wraps stuff and foil and finishes it in the oven.

What I found was my Trager did an exceptional job on pizzas and chicken. But it it did not generate enough smoke on its own for anything like brisket or butts. It didn't okay job with ribs and anything wrapped in bacon. I also found out that it did a poor job on cooking steaks it just would not get hot enough for a proper sear.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Evictor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    US
    Forgot to mention adding a smoke generator would probably make up for some of the limitations of a pellet grill

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I was in the same boat a while back. Wanted to try pellet smokers but didn't want to spend much in case I didn't care for it. I bought a Country Smokers Traveler. It can be bought thru Lowes for under $200 (with GI discount). Which is below my threshold of pain. So far it has been great. It's not large enough for a decent brisket but can handle 3 racks of BB ribs and make the meat fall off the bone. For just 2 people it's perfect and easy to use.

Top Bottom