• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Simple version is you study and then take the test. There's three levels of testing, but you don't have to worry about that right now... I'd recommend reaching out to your local club. You're in Austin, right? https://www.austinhams.org/
    Yep. The first level, "technician" is fairly easy and allows you to use most of the most easily accessible and lowest cost gear.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Actually it is an acronym, for the first three amatuer radio opearators last names

I've never heard that before. Everything I've ever heard of it says that it's poking from professional british operators at people playing with toys.

This is what I found on the history of Ameteur Radio:

The term "ham" was first a pejorative term used in professional wired telegraphy during the 19th century, to mock operators with poor Morse code sending skills ("ham-fisted"). This term continued to be used after the invention of radio and the proliferation of amateur experimentation with wireless telegraphy; among land- and sea-based professional radio operators, "ham" amateurs were considered a nuisance.

The amateur radio community subsequently began to reclaim the word as a label of pride,and by the mid-20th century it had lost its pejorative meaning. Although not an acronym, it is often mistakenly written as "HAM" in capital letters.

Top Bottom