Join TexasGunTalk

Pandora's Box

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Jarine88, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Jarine88

Jarine88 Active Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Cypress
    When I started researching and expanding my firearms collection, I had decided to stick to a few types of rounds: 9mm, 45 ACP, .22LR, 223/5.56x45mm, 308/7.62x51mm and 12 ga. The idea was that they were standard, common, and all were carried by the US Armed Forces, except for .22lr if you don't count the Henry Survival Rifle. My original idea was to have at least two of each caliber/gauge. It allows me to limit the types of ammo I need to buy and store. The only odd ball in my safe is my father's Winchester Model 94 in 30-30. I have it in my safe, but he can come get it any time.

Recently, I stopped to talk to a neighbor who lives down the street, and one that I had been waving to for the last 10 years. Turns out, he and I served in the Corps at the same time, and were even in boot camp around the same time. He asked me when the last time I shot, and I told him it had been a week since I was on the pistol range and a few weeks since I had shot clays. He asked about rifles and I told him it had been a while. Then he told me about his collection, his 1000 yrd shooting and his hobby of building rifles. I have wanted to build rifles for years, but I just haven't taken the leap. He also has an inside deal with a few pawn shops and gets pistols and rifles real cheap. I definitely had envy.

Over the next few weeks, we talked a few more times. Once, he took me to his safe and pulled some rifles out to show me. More envy. When it came to calibers, he was all over the map, but beyond what I have, his favorites were 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 Grendel. I started researching and I can see the attraction. With the military looking at these two rounds for the future, I was hooked.

Well, for Christmas, I convinced my wife to buy me a 6.5 Creedmoor upper. I got it unassembled, so it will be a start for satisfying my building desire, and I can use it with my existing DPMS lower. Now that Pandora's Box has been opened, I guess I will want to buy/build a lower for my new upper. I will also be looking to get a 6.5 Grendel upper at some point to use on my Troy Defense lower, and then follow that up with a lower for that upper.

deemus, pronstar, Glenn B and 5 others like this.
  2. avvidclif

avvidclif Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    And the beat goes on!

3. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    How it always starts. Oh, I'm just gonna stick to 9mm, and now we've got stuff in 7.62*25 and .45LC around the house.

SQLGeek, Pops1955, Jarine88 and 2 others like this.
  4. Big Green

Big Green Pew Pew TGT Supporter

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Probably also need clones of a M16A2 and M16A4, with proper RCO.

Semper Building. :m16:

Pops1955, Dad_Roman and Jarine88 like this.
  5. Jarine88

Jarine88 Active Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Cypress
    I carried an A2 back in the day...

Dad_Roman likes this.
  6. easy rider

easy rider Carbide Precipitator TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Addiction is a terrible thing, not sure when I'll ever come to terms with my own addiction.

SQLGeek, Jarine88 and rl96ss like this.
  7. Big Green

Big Green Pew Pew TGT Supporter

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Those are cheap(er) and easy then. No high dollar optic.

Building them all is fun. There are a few tools that make it easier. Can be done without but if you build more than one, they will be worth it.

Jarine88 likes this.
  8. skfullen

skfullen In the woods... TGT Supporter

And so it starts.

Wait til you purchase a new firearm because someone gave you a box of ammo in some new-fangled caliber you didn't have. And now you need a firearm that shoots it. THAT'S when you know you are addicted!

deemus, Pops1955 and Jarine88 like this.
  9. Jarine88

Jarine88 Active Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Cypress
    I’m guessing by your name and avatar, you share my other addiction as well.

10. easy rider

easy rider Carbide Precipitator TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Most my life.

Jarine88 likes this.