• ...and so much more!
  • Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    If you're not going to tow get the 2.7eco boost. Plenty of power and 21 mph mixed driving. Ours will flat out hurt your neck if you mash the accelerator.

That said...

I prefer the 3.5 eco boost. Lots of towing and power. I've towed 10000 lbs and couldnt tell except for the gas gage, lol. I rarely tow but like the option and love the torque and power.

Mpg was 17.5 mixed for all of our 3.5 eco boost f150s.

Always get full maintenance history if you can with a used anything but you probably know that.

Both EcoBoost motor generate all their torque down low where needed.

Ive owned 8 F150s over the last decade as we always had 2 and traded them in as soon as they break even or the warranty expired. I love them.

Avoid non turbo v6s. Even if rated 300hp they are still dogs with the torque curves inappropriate for a truck.

You can lease a brand new one for about what you will pay for the used one.

Our next truck will probably be a lease. Shit is just too expensive nowadays.

I have this to tow on occasion
    2a70a3715aa5d8ee66792055b4e97d2f.jpg

Specifically wanted 5.0 as I dont trust a pressurized v6 to live a long life when “used” for more than soccer trips.
    I am a died in wool FORD guy and the eco is a good platform. However I am also old school and LOVE the 5.0 thru my side exit MBRP cat back. A V6 will never sound good evah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I had a 13' 3.5 ecoboost, got the dreaded Cold Start Knock about 40k miles. It started as a quick tick sound at start up & would last about 2-3 seconds. As the months went on it went from once in a couple weeks, to every morning. I finally traded it in, in 2018 for a V8 COYOTE. Both were 4x4 Offroad XLTs

Ive towed my boat, tractor & SxS & get 13-10 mpg rolling 65 or so.

My mileage rolling 70 is between 18 & 21mpg depending on wind & hills. That was the average in both trucks. I wouldn't get a ecoboost unless it had a 100k warranty. Its about a $3k repair if you dont have warranty.

Heres the cold start knock on the ecoboost. The new Raptors, Mustangs Lincons with ecoboost do it too. Im not sure why they still dont use the 6.2 in the raptor.

Last edited:

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    I'm on my third 3.5 Ecoboost truck in 9 years, I really like the motor. I had a couple of FX4's, then when they finally put the HO version in the Raptor I got one of those. Plenty of power, and no issues when you maintain them (that's key, maintenance).

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I prefer the 3.5 eco boost. Lots of towing and power. I've towed 10000 lbs and couldnt tell except for the gas gage, lol. I rarely tow but like the option and love the torque and power.

Mpg was 17.5 mixed for all of our 3.5 eco boost f150s.

Our next truck will probably be a lease. Shit is just too expensive nowadays.

Anybody that say the only way they know they're towing 10k lbs is the gas gauge is full of it(and it's not gas, more solid). The Egoboost is something I considered before my last ferd was traded. But I've since gone out of egoboost range.

16k 5th wheel.

I'm with Texas Red. When I got the upgrade the Insurance lady asked me if it was 4 wheel drive, sure, it's got 4 wheels on the rear.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Anybody that say the only way they know they're towing 10k lbs is the gas gauge is full of it(and it's not gas, more solid). The Egoboost is something I considered before my last ferd was traded. But I've since gone out of egoboost range.

16k 5th wheel.

I'm with Texas Red. When I got the upgrade the Insurance lady asked me if it was 4 wheel drive, sure, it's got 4 wheels on the rear.
    Maybe you should have got the EcoBoost then when you were in that payload range.

The Joy's of full torque down in the lower RPM range. They tow better than the ford V8s for the same payloads.

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    On Youtube there's a video where some guys went into the shop of a big Ford dealership and asked the guys what engine they'd buy, based on what they'd seen in the shop. One guy - who I think was a sales manager - said he really liked the EcoBoost. All the others said the V-8. When asked for specifics, they said that they felt like all of the engines were pretty good, even though they get a lemon from the factory every once in a while, but the V-8 is an old design that is just rock solid. If you're towing anything, the V-8 has the torque at the bottom end to get the job done while the Eco engines have to be full out to get that torque.

I'm on my second F-150 after being a Chevy/GMC guy for decades. The GMCs were good trucks and I put a LOT of miles on them (the last one I only got rid of because someone ran a stop sign and destroyed my truck.) But to me the F-150 is far better. There were so many little things that drove me crazy with the GMC - esp. electrical stuff. My F-150 is like a home on the road to me.

NWFA

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    I'm still eyeballing new and used from 2012 up. Anything will be a serious upgrade over my v6 Dakota. Definitely leaning towards the V8 but Ecoboosts aren't out of the question.

You should buy my 2015 f150 V8 so I can buy a f250 tremor

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    On Youtube there's a video where some guys went into the shop of a big Ford dealership and asked the guys what engine they'd buy, based on what they'd seen in the shop. One guy - who I think was a sales manager - said he really liked the EcoBoost. All the others said the V-8. When asked for specifics, they said that they felt like all of the engines were pretty good, even though they get a lemon from the factory every once in a while, but the V-8 is an old design that is just rock solid. If you're towing anything, the V-8 has the torque at the bottom end to get the job done while the Eco engines have to be full out to get that torque.

I'm on my second F-150 after being a Chevy/GMC guy for decades. The GMCs were good trucks and I put a LOT of miles on them (the last one I only got rid of because someone ran a stop sign and destroyed my truck.) But to me the F-150 is far better. There were so many little things that drove me crazy with the GMC - esp. electrical stuff. My F-150 is like a home on the road to me.
    Umm, the EcoBoost makes torque lower and peak torque and a lower rpm than the v8 and has more torque than a v8. It also makes more power. The trade off is a weaker curve at the top end but that's not how it was designed.

Towing is about the low end of rpm torque and power curves.

The V8s have flatter curves at the top end so they feel like they pull better up there cause they dont drop off as much but that's a V6 problem in general.

I'm talking the 5 litre V8s. And 3.5 ecoboost.

Both motors are outstanding for anything they are rated for truck performance spec wise. Both can also be built to make dangerous amounts of power.

So 9mm or 45. It's kinda like that I guess. Lol

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It will still hit its speed limiter, though....
    That speed limiter sucks. When it kicks in at 100, it's not at all gentle. The truck doesn't just slow down; it feels like I hit something substantial. If I keep my foot in it, it feels like whatever I hit is stuck under the vehicle, banging around.

Seriously, the violence with which the engine enforces that speed limit is destabilizing enough that it feels like a safety hazard.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Maybe you should have got the EcoBoost then when you were in that payload range.

The Joy's of full torque down in the lower RPM range. They tow better than the ford V8s for the same payloads.

Do you have 765 ft lbs of torque at 1600 RPM. Excuse me when I was towing 10k I had 650 ft lb @ 2000. Those are my current numbers.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    That speed limiter sucks. When it kicks in at 100, it's not at all gentle. The truck doesn't just slow down; it feels like I hit something substantial. If I keep my foot in it, it feels like whatever I hit is stuck under the vehicle, banging around.

Seriously, the violence with which the engine enforces that speed limit is destabilizing enough that it feels like a safety hazard.

A tuner can eliminate this issue by turning off/raising the limiter.
    As well as enhance the overall performance of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    A tuner can eliminate this issue by turning off/raising the limiter.
    I don't want to turn it off or raise it. That old truck shouldn't be driven 100mph. Ever. I'm completely OK with the concept that it can remind me of that. I just wish it did so with a gentle power drop-off instead of making me think I've hit something. However...
    As well as enhance the overall performance of the truck.
    ...this sounds intriguing. I may have to look into it.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    ‘14 f150 super crew 2wd with the V8. I was strictly a GM guy prior to this truck, owning a total of 6 Silverado/Sierra from 1995-2005 + a Tahoe thrown in between, all with either the 5.7, 5.3 and 6.0 on my ‘03 SS My $.02.... that Coyote puts the GM motors shame power wise. That motor really screams. It’s by far the roomiest and quietest truck I’ve owned. Coming on 92k miles, I’ve had the back window replaced under warranty due to a known issue with the defrosters, and I’ve replaced the rotors on my own dime due soft metal causing warping. This is a common complaint. I’m losing a little coolant now due to a known issue with an o-ring on one of the cooling hoses. Ford has an improved design and it‘s less than $5 on Rock Auto and should only take 30 mins or so to replace. I have the part and will replace whenever I get time. Other than that, the truck has been problem free. Two things I do not like about my truck. 1) it’s sprung very stiff. It‘s not near as soft riding as my past GM trucks. 2) my biggest complaint is the bed height. I guess that would apply to all makes nowadays, but I really wish we could go back to the days where one could lean over the bed side and touch the bottom of the bed. I hate having to crawl into the bed to retrieve something that slide up to the bulkhead. I would go to the F150 forums to see what folks say about the different years and engine options. IIRC some if not all of the boosted V6 have an internal water pump. Find out what happens when it fails, and it will eventually. Some of the newer V8, I think it may have started with the 2018 model used a special coating on the cylinders that resulted in excessive oil consumption. I would read up on that.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    ‘14 f150 super crew 2wd with the V8. I was strictly a GM guy prior to this truck, owning a total of 6 Silverado/Sierra from 1995-2005 + a Tahoe thrown in between, all with either the 5.7, 5.3 and 6.0 on my ‘03 SS My $.02.... that Coyote puts the GM motors shame power wise. That motor really screams. It’s by far the roomiest and quietest truck I’ve owned. Coming on 92k miles, I’ve had the back window replaced under warranty due to a known issue with the defrosters, and I’ve replaced the rotors on my own dime due soft metal causing warping. This is a common complaint. I’m losing a little coolant now due to a known issue with an o-ring on one of the cooling hoses. Ford has an improved design and it‘s less than $5 on Rock Auto and should only take 30 mins or so to replace. I have the part and will replace whenever I get time. Other than that, the truck has been problem free. Two things I do not like about my truck. 1) it’s sprung very stiff. It‘s not near as soft riding as my past GM trucks. 2) my biggest complaint is the bed height. I guess that would apply to all makes nowadays, but I really wish we could go back to the days where one could lean over the bed side and touch the bottom of the bed. I hate having to crawl into the bed to retrieve something that slide up to the bulkhead. I would go to the F150 forums to see what folks say about the different years and engine options. IIRC some if not all of the boosted V6 have an internal water pump. Find out what happens when it fails, and it will eventually. Some of the newer V8, I think it may have started with the 2018 model used a special coating on the cylinders that resulted in excessive oil consumption. I would read up on that.
    Try the Billsteins on it, they are firm so it lessens the springyness. Rides a bit like a car.

Top Bottom