• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jarhead0093

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Justin, TX
    Ok, I’m not asking for anyone’s secret spot, but I moved here from the PNW where when you wanted to shoot, it was a matter of driving out into the national forest or some out of the way area. Something with a good back stop and relatively easy access.
    I live in McKinney and am looking for somewhere to shoot that’s outdoors away from folks. I already belong to Frisco Gun Club, but I want to draw from a holster, draw from concealment, transition and movement drills.

My question is, should I look for areas like this? Or is public land so limited that a private range is my only option?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• CEE29116-F408-4498-86A2-4BDF4CEC92BE.jpeg
      CEE29116-F408-4498-86A2-4BDF4CEC92BE.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 151

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    Good point. I’ve rarely had good luck with public ranges as the rules generally restrict drawing, transitions, movement, etc.
    Once I joined a private gun range, I knew I could never go back to a public range. Too many rules and too many idjiots. I think the only way to beat it is to buy your own land.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    All depends on how far you want to travel to do so. Try the "Range Map" tab above for starters. Been awhile since I went through it but, it used to be kept fairly well updated.

Jarhead0093

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Justin, TX
    All depends on how far you want to travel to do so. Try the "Range Map" tab above for starters. Been awhile since I went through it but, it used to be kept fairly well updated.
    Thank you, I’ll check out the map. I’m finding as I search that most restrict FMJ, more than one shot per second, drawing, etc.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That would be my ultimate goal. I was just surprised how restrictive it is to go out and shoot. I’ll probably just head up to OK for outdoor stuff.

It ain’t restrictive. It that something like 94% of land in Texas is privately held. This goes back as far as 1845. All that public land wherever you came from was ceded by your state to the the federal government as condition of admittance to the union.

That shît didn’t float here once an agreement on the value of our land (since it was being traded for debt assumption by the US) could not be negotiated. Like any good used car salesman, they offered pennies on the dollar, so we told ‘em to fûck right off and kept title to the land.

Jarhead0093

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Justin, TX
    It ain’t restrictive. It that something like 94% of land in Texas is privately held. This goes back as far as 1845. All that public land wherever you came from was ceded by your state to the the federal government as condition of admittance to the union.

That shît didn’t float here once an agreement on the value of our land (since it was being traded for debt assumption by the US) could not be negotiated. Like any good used car salesman, they offered pennies on the dollar, so we told ‘em to fûck right off and kept title to the land.
    Roger that. Thank you.

Jarhead0093

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Justin, TX
    Call Len the day you want to shoot he tell you if he has a spot open for a day pass drive out. It’s not that far from you. You can do everything you listed there

Wow, thank you so much for the helpful response. I truly appreciate it!

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Ok, I’m not asking for anyone’s secret spot, but I moved here from the PNW where when you wanted to shoot, it was a matter of driving out into the national forest or some out of the way area. Something with a good back stop and relatively easy access.
    I live in McKinney and am looking for somewhere to shoot that’s outdoors away from folks. I already belong to Frisco Gun Club, but I want to draw from a holster, draw from concealment, transition and movement drills.

My question is, should I look for areas like this? Or is public land so limited that a private range is my only option?

Thank you in advance!
    Please join us at the Dallas Pistol Club (in Carrollton, TX). DPC is a private club and non-members are always welcome in scheduled matches. If you like the company shooting and facility membership info is on the website. Hope to see you soon.

Shooting center fire rifles is not allowed at DPC but everything else can be shot during scheduled matches. If you want to shoot a center fire rifle check out North Texas Shooting Association for shooting in their scheduled matches open to non-members.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom