Outdoor Shooting near SATX?

LxS1L3nTxI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oct 24, 2021
San Antonio
I am moving from Arizona/Washington State in a couple months to be stationed in SATX and am looking for a place outdoors to shoot. I am not asking for anyone's secret spot but seeing if anyone had any advice for shooting outdoors? In Washington State, any state land was allowed to be able to shot on as long as there is a natural obstacle that bullets land into (currently in Arizona for the last 3 months and it is the same outdoors shooting into a canyon). I am looking for a place near SATX (within 30-40 minute drive) to be able to shoot drills where I can draw from a holster, transition, and conduct movement drills? Should I look in Government Canyon State Natural Area?

I appreciate all the help and look forward to joining you all!

candcallen

Surrounded by chronic terminal phuktardness!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jul 23, 2011
Little Elm
The one thing I miss about AZ is the vast amount of public land, and the rim.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Oct 4, 2013
Gunz are icky.
There is no free access public land in Texas available for shooting.
You will have to pay to use commercial facilities.
There are a number of shooting ranges around the SATX area. Each one is unique in its rules. You’ll have to research each one as to what is or isn’t allowed.
There are also a number of private shooting clubs as well.
FWIW, Government Canyon is a park. Big time no-no to discharge firearms there.
There is a very limited amount of hunting opportunities in the state parks. Refer to Texas Parks and Wildlife website to investigate public hunting.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
I am moving from Arizona/Washington State in a couple months to be stationed in SATX and am looking for a place outdoors to shoot. I am not asking for anyone's secret spot but seeing if anyone had any advice for shooting outdoors? In Washington State, any state land was allowed to be able to shot on as long as there is a natural obstacle that bullets land into (currently in Arizona for the last 3 months and it is the same outdoors shooting into a canyon). I am looking for a place near SATX (within 30-40 minute drive) to be able to shoot drills where I can draw from a holster, transition, and conduct movement drills? Should I look in Government Canyon State Natural Area?

I appreciate all the help and look forward to joining you all!

Welcome to the Forum!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Aug 27, 2009
San Antonio!
FWIW, Government Canyon is a park. Big time no-no to discharge firearms there.

I know the Superintendent out there, there is very limited hunting opportunities at GCSNA but the deadline for 2021-22 has passed...

But here are some public hunting lands and regulations for Texas...

LxS1L3nTxI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oct 24, 2021
San Antonio
Thank you all for the warm welcome and help! I reached out to Lonestar Handgun and they seem like the best with their private bays with decently affordable pricing. Excited to be able to join this group on the ground!

Top Bottom